• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hand was on my gun

Hombre

Banned
imported post

freightman360 wrote:
well to start the day off was good got all 4 of my dogs licenced had a great day with my wife . went to visit her sister and thats when it all went to h*ll. went out to smoke a cig was sitting in my truck lil blue car pulled up no cause for concern guy gets out and starts taking pictures of the house across the street that didnt seem weird its for sale (forclosure) then he turns and starts taking pictures of my truck my mother in laws house the neighbors house and cars (ding ding ding) bells go off. exited my truck walked over and asked why he needed pictures of my truck and my mother in laws home. he ask if i wanted him to show me i said yes he threw some papers in my face and said something about an inspection..i asked who he worked for and was told it was none of my bus. so i told him i was calling the police and then he got really ticked and asked why. i told him because he wouldnt identify himself. so i walked back to my truck to get my cell herd footsteps coming up behind me turned around to find this guy right behind me about 10 ft. i told him to stop and not come on the property he continued to come at me i backed up and put my truck hood between him and i grabbed my gun and had it half way out told him that i would defend myself and the cops are on the way ( saw the neighbor on the phone) then came the stare down i reached through the window got my phone dialed 911 and requested an officer was told they were on the way to stay away from the guy told her that i had my cpl and was armed and i would defend myself and was told to just stay calm lol . cops show up and identify the guy as an inspector for a law office that had a controlling intrest in the house across the street and he was just taking pictures of the neighbor hood for an apraisel.

officer asked whati carried (M&P .40) talked a little about that and the dumb dumb inspector and how close he came. they left i went and heaved havnt been that shook up in a while.

what would you have done????

Now THIS is priceless. An OC'er DEMANDING that a fellow CITIZEN identify himself. hahahahahahaha Where was your reasonable suspicion? hahahahahahahaaha

If I was the cops that answered the call, I would have told you I'm not asking the guy for any ID and that he wasn't doing anything illegal and that I had no reasonable suspicion to ask him for identification. Then I would have taught the inspector the ole "Wash, Rinse & Repeat". hahahahahahaha

autosurgeon

imported post

A citizen does not need RAS to ask for ID. Neither does a LEO however without RAS all a LEO can legally do is request ID not order you to show it.

Also according to our local Sheriff who has setup a neighborhood watch what the OP did is according to protocol. The fact that the inspector was not willing to prove he had a legitimate reason to be on a residential street taking pictures and acting suspicious meets the requirements we have for calling the police over here.

All he would have had to do was show a business card or like the case I cited when I was taking pictures for a class assignment I just had the assignment rubric with me and showed that. That and a smile and friendly attitude works wonders.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
A citizen does not need RAS to ask for ID. Neither does a LEO however without RAS all a LEO can legally do is request ID not order you to show it.

Also according to our local Sheriff who has setup a neighborhood watch what the OP did is according to protocol. The fact that the inspector was not willing to prove he had a legitimate reason to be on a residential street taking pictures and acting suspicious meets the requirements we have for calling the police over here.

All he would have had to do was show a business card or like the case I cited when I was taking pictures for a class assignment I just had the assignment rubric with me and showed that. That and a smile and friendly attitude works wonders.

Sheriff's are political animals and are usually too afraid to tell you how they really feel cause they're @$$hole deep in debt and can't afford to lose their jobs that they have to win popularity contests to keep every four years.

What county sheriff? I'll give him a call too.

My point on the OP was that he called the police to report a NON CRIME (person not identifying himself) when you OC'ers don't want the police called on you for ANY reason. God forbid, that when the police are called you guys actually cooperate. Instead you play your "Wash, rinse, repeat" BS.

Well, to the OP and everyone else who thought the OP did the right thing I would say mind your own damn business and let the inspector do his job.

Fair is fair. You can't BEHAVE one way and get mad when somebody else BEHAVE's that way toward YOU.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Sheriff's are political animals and are usually too afraid to tell you how they really feel cause they're @$$hole deep in debt and can't afford to lose their jobs that they have to win popularity contests to keep every four years.

What county sheriff?  I'll give him a call too.

My point on the OP was that he called the police to report a NON CRIME (person not identifying himself) when you OC'ers don't want the police called on you for ANY reason.  God forbid, that when the police are called you guys actually cooperate.  Instead you play your "Wash, rinse, repeat" BS. 

Well, to the OP and everyone else who thought the OP did the right thing I would say mind your own damn business and let the inspector do his job. 

Fair is fair.  You can't BEHAVE one way and get mad when somebody else BEHAVE's that way toward YOU. 

I've called the non-emergency line to report suspicious activity before. I understand that people do it. I'm not sure what your point is.

jeremy05

imported post

Ugh cant believe I'm saying this but the Troll "fake cop" has a point. He threatened to call the police on somethings that's not a crime, and one of the reasons that drove him to call was that he wasn't given any ID, which can only be requested. Oh well.......

He does keep trolling trolling trolling.

G

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
He does keep trolling trolling trolling.
Watch out!!!

You'll end up with jvanhorn all over you ass too!!!

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

T Vance wrote:
American Boy With a Gun wrote:
screw all the guys that said you did the wrong thing...
No need for that.

Remember, the OP told his side of the story then asked "What would YOU have done?" People are entitled to their own opinions.
Yea....im an ass when i first wake up :cuss:....sorry bout that...i still say he did the right thing...in the nicest way possible to my fellow Michiganders

drkarrow

imported post

scot623 wrot
So it's ok for the cops to harass someone who is legally doing their job but part of this forums existance is to complain out cops who harass us?!?? You think it's ok for a cop to harass a guy with a camera, but not a guy with a gun? We can't have it both ways. Just food for thought.
Exactly my thoughts.

If I walk down the street OC'ing, I don't expect to be stopped by the police unless there's reasonable suspicion of a crime. even if some luny calls 911 on me

If I walk down the street taking pictures, I don't expect to be stopped by the police unless there's reasonable suspicion of a crime. even if some luny calls 911 on me

autosurgeon

imported post

drkarrow wrote:
scot623 wrot
So it's ok for the cops to harass someone who is legally doing their job but part of this forums existance is to complain out cops who harass us?!?? You think it's ok for a cop to harass a guy with a camera, but not a guy with a gun? We can't have it both ways. Just food for thought.
Exactly my thoughts.

If I walk down the street OC'ing, I don't expect to be stopped by the police unless there's reasonable suspicion of a crime. even if some luny calls 911 on me

If I walk down the street taking pictures, I don't expect to be stopped by the police unless there's reasonable suspicion of a crime. even if some luny calls 911 on me
However this MO has been used to case homes for burglary so it is understandable that a person would want to check it out. And if the person is dressed like a hood Rat then that makes it all the more suspicious.

drkarrow

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
screw all the guys that said you did the wrong thing... ive seen people taking pictures of houses during the day...then 2 nights later the place gets robbed and someone ends up hurt or worse. If the guy wouldnt tell you who he worked for then that would of rang a bell for me too...personally i think that you did the right thing by calling the cops...gives em something to do besides harass people and you clarified the situation without anyone getting hurt...seems like a good run to me
lol, that is ridiculous. I've seen gangbangers carrying a gun and then commit a robbery. So by your logic every time I see someone with a gun i should call 911 to report them?

And for what would i do? I'd use my cellphone camera to take a picture of the guy and of his license plate. That's all. No need to harass someone doing something perfectly legal.

drkarrow

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
drkarrow wrote:
scot623 wrot
Exactly my thoughts.

However this MO has been used to case homes for burglary so it is understandable that a person would want to check it out. And if the person is dressed like a hood Rat then that makes it all the more suspicious.
And that's the exact same logic that cops use to harass open carriers.

autosurgeon

imported post

So you would not want to find out why a ratty looking fellow that does not belong in your neighborhood is there?

Part of being a good citizen is to watch out for odd out of place activities in your neighborhood and either investigate them or report them or both.

All the OP wanted to know was why he was there... as he did not belong. There is nothing wrong with giving the homeowner a business card to set there mind at ease. This is no diff than when we get questioned about OC and hand out a card or tri-fold.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
drkarrow wrote:
scot623 wrot
Exactly my thoughts.

Are you an expert on MO's. I've taken literally hundreds and hundreds of burglary reports over the years and NEVER have I taken one where the culprit showed up ahead of time and took pictures of the crime scene first.:lol::lol:

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
So you would not want to find out why a ratty looking fellow that does not belong in your neighborhood is there?

Part of being a good citizen is to watch out for odd out of place activities in your neighborhood and either investigate them or report them or both.

You mean like the people with guns (AR15 too) at the Ponderosa while people are trying to force down the crappy food???? That kind of "ratty looking fellow(s)" that I've never seen in the neighborhood, that seems "odd" and "out of place"???????

Like that, you mean??????

easy

imported post

freightman360 wrote:
well to start the day off was good got all 4 of my dogs licenced had a great day with my wife . went to visit her sister and thats when it all went to h*ll. went out to smoke a cig was sitting in my truck lil blue car pulled up no cause for concern guy gets out and starts taking pictures of the house across the street that didnt seem weird its for sale (forclosure) then he turns and starts taking pictures of my truck my mother in laws house the neighbors house and cars (ding ding ding) bells go off. exited my truck walked over and asked why he needed pictures of my truck and my mother in laws home. he ask if i wanted him to show me i said yes he threw some papers in my face and said something about an inspection.. i asked who he worked for and was told it was none of my bus. so i told him i was calling the police and then he got really ticked and asked why. i told him because he wouldnt identify himself. so i walked back to my truck to get my cell herd footsteps coming up behind me turned around to find this guy right behind me about 10 ft. i told him to stop and not come on the property he continued to come at me i backed up and put my truck hood between him and i grabbed my gun and had it half way out told him that i would defend myself and the cops are on the way ( saw the neighbor on the phone) then came the stare down i reached through the window got my phone dialed 911 and requested an officer was told they were on the way to stay away from the guy told her that i had my cpl and was armed and i would defend myself and was told to just stay calm lol . cops show up and identify the guy as an inspector for a law office that had a controlling intrest in the house across the street and he was just taking pictures of the neighbor hood for an apraisel.

officer asked whati carried (M&P .40) talked a little about that and the dumb dumb inspector and how close he came. they left i went and heaved havnt been that shook up in a while.

what would you have done????

This whole thing could have been avoided by just calling the police and not saying a word to camera guy. It’s the cop’s job to investigate.

What if this was a Question on a test to get a CPL LICENSE?

You see a guy on a public street armed with a camera and is taking pictures of houses. What should you do?

1. call the police and ask them to investigate
  2. arm yourself and go investigate him yourself
  3. do nothing

I think that the rules of engagement are different for those of us that carry a gun. We have to show restraint.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

easy wrote:
This whole thing could have been avoided by just calling the police and not saying a word to camera guy.It’s the cop’s job to investigate things that AREN'T against the law. UNLESS it's somebody open carrying a firearm. Then the cops should leave the OC'er alone.

There. Fixed it for ya.:dude:

drkarrow

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:

All the OP wanted to know was why he was there... as he did not belong. There is nothing wrong with giving the homeowner a business card to set there mind at ease. This is no diff than when we get questioned about OC and hand out a card or tri-fold.
Honestly, no. I don't live in a gated community. It is still (barely) a free country and there are no US citizens that "do not belong in my neighborhood." You're free to park your car in front of my house while taking pictures. If I'm in the mood I'll walk over and ask if you need any help, and perhaps offer you a drink.

I do make mental notes when I see something odd, or someone new. But I don't investigate or report people doing things perfectly legal to do.

And for those who are worried about pictures, have you checked out Google street view? I live on a corner, so you can see all the way into my back yard from two different sides.

autosurgeon

imported post

Hmmm well you folks must not mind drug dealers and gangbangers on your street. I for one don't want em around and will see to it they get an all expenses paid trip to the grey bar hotel. I even had a turd across the street start up a meth lab a few years back. Just about choke at night if I had the windows open... the ammonia fumes were that bad.