• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lapeer Gravel Pit Update

PDinDetroit

MGO sponsored a Lapeer Gravel Pit Clean-up today. The "Before" and "After" pictures can be found at the following thread (no log-in needed):

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176934

The Lapeer State Game Area will now allow only Paper/Cardboard and Clay Targets (order covers entire SGA). I believe the DNR/Police will write tickets for those not following the DNR/NRC Order (probably for "littering" or some DNR Rule), likely to be "Stiff Penalties". Others and myself requested that self-healing and metal targets (removable) be added to the order as "allowable", but this was not in the order. Also, shooting is only allowed during "hunting hours" which is a complicated rule...

PDinDetroit

I thought so, but did not want to make an assumption. It has been quite a while since I read the memo, is this for all state gaming areas, or just for Lapeer Co.?

Just Lapeer SGA. I am bummed as I used to go there to shoot my Crossbows into the "orange block" target (just not at "the pit"). Big SGA, plenty of places to target shoot...

stainless1911

Banned
Yeah, I think its too restrictive too. I have a small easily portable fold up target that hangs a 1/4" plate steel, 4x6" or so, its great for pistols and .22s. I also have a fold up target that hangs a sheet of plywood just big enough to tack a sheet of paper to, I wonder how they would view that?

And golf balls. Its fun to toss a golf ball, and see if you can empty the mag efore it stops moving, hitting it with each shot.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

I use torso sized steel targets up there so we shall see. As long as safe distances are maintained I don't see why they should have an issue. Hopefully they will make it official and allow reactionary steel targets. What about IDPA type heavy cardboard? yea, nay? with wood or PVC framing?

Last edited:

Michigander

I went there saturday, sort of, actually into the woods shooting into a hill, to teach a couple people to shoot handguns. We used thin strips of pine on 2x4 stands to mount paper silhouettes to. No one missed and hit the wood, unlike at the pit itself where you can now almost count on random idiots to shoot your targets apart.

Anyway, point is I for one plan to keep bringing targets held up by easily replaced and rapidly bio degradable wood. Even a stand damaging miss is meaningless since it's already a forest. If they bizzarly feel like cracking down on shooting at unfinished pine, the solution is tall cardboard boxes and tape, glue or staples. Not a big deal either way.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Yeah, I think its too restrictive too.

I think the people in that area are lucky they didnt shut it down. If I was in charge of it I would. I have never been there but have heard people say it was a mess but those pictures are gross. I cant believe people are that nasty. I would have left as soon as I got there. Maybe some local prisoners could come every Sunday and do some good, cleaning up.

TheQ

When I go to an outdoor range I take everything (or pick it up) I brought with me -- with the exception of the lead and copper I leave in the berm.

Gun owners are supposed to be responsible types? These pictures fooled me...

WilDChilD

If anybody goes there soon post pictures. I would love to see how it looks today. If anybody needs more trash to shoot my family goes through about 4 bags a week I would give you, save me 50 every quarter.

Could you see me with my truck throwing in trash bags, neighbor asks if its trash day and I reply nope going to Lapeer Gravel Pit to do some shootin.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
cant have glue tape or staples

Ok so how is one supposed to secure targets to a bio-degradable (cardboard) hanger ... tooth picks...maybe? It seems like they are attempting (DNR) to discourage littering & I think we all agree with that. On the other hand regulating to the point where it becomes prohibitive seems a bit much too. Or is that the point? I sure hope not. This place is one of very few places left under state control that a person can practice "practical shooting skills". ;)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I agree, Im really neat with my stuff when I shoot, I dont want the same thing to happen to my area.

Is that the one I told you about? If so, how is it working out? Do you see anyone else out there?
I brought my two "beginners" to my secret SGA location near me. We had a very good time. My son, the youngest of the two, is just like me... he's better with a pistol than a rifle. Pistols help with our "left eye/right hand" dominance issues. He asked me when he could buy his own and open carry with me. When I said 11 years (he's 7), he was so sad. I'm sure it seems like a century when you are so young.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Yes it is, I love it there. I keep that one to myself, and a couple close friends. I dont see other people there, occasionally an empty shell, but thats it. I dont want a bunch of people bangin' away all day, and have the neighbors asking for an ordinance against it.

Eko is right handed and cross dominant as well. Pistols are easier for her, partly for the length of pull. She cracks me up, she loves to shoot, but every time I grab the M1A, she hides behind a tree, not too fond of the noise.

I do hear shooters nearby, but I dont know where they are.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Yes it is, I love it there. I keep that one to myself, and a couple close friends. I dont see other people there, occasionally an empty shell, but thats it. I dont want a bunch of people bangin' away all day, and have the neighbors asking for an ordinance against it.

Eko is right handed and cross dominant as well. Pistols are easier for her, partly for the length of pull. She cracks me up, she loves to shoot, but every time I grab the M1A, she hides behind a tree, not too fond of the noise.

I do hear shooters nearby, but I dont know where they are.

Hope you have good cover there in case they accidently send lead in your direction. Figures the Doc told you about your shooting spot, just bolsters what I already knew, he's a good guy. :D

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2