• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law introduced to repeal gun frre zones

SIGfreed

imported post

While I agree with Michigander that this bill would only eliminate gun free zones for those of us with CPL's, I too think it is a stepin the right direction and will support it.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

The gun free zones for those without a CPL (i.e. for OCing) existed before the switch to shall issue. This simply fixes what should have never happened in the first place.

Something that we allowed to happen, based on the advice of a former speaker of the Michigan legislature.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I can't say I really care for this bill.
I don't get it. You're not in favor of a bill that eliminates the pistol free zones?
He's not in favor of having to get a CPL period. Either we are equal or we are not. We either have our firearm rights infringed or we do not.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

I am not in favor of having to get a cpl either. This could be put this way, Joe Public is not in favor of having to get a hunting license, either we're hungry or we're not. But we don't just go grab a back strap any time we feel like it.springerdave.

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I am not in favor of having to get a cpl either. This could be put this way, Joe Public is not in favor of having to get a hunting license, either we're hungry or we're not. But we don't just go grab a back strap any time we feel like it.springerdave.
Wow! you can't compare the two. Hunting is not a right it's a privilege, like driving. Carrying a firearm is a right. But having to get a CPL is asking for permission to do something that ideally youshouldn't have to ask permission to do. With all the restriction on how and where you can OC without a CPL the state is greatly infringing our rights guaranteed by ourstate and federal constitutions.

There are states that have much less restrictions in regards to carrying handguns. Let's move in that direction.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

When I think on how it used to be, long before I existed. The good guys generally OC'ed, the bad guys CC'ed. I'll agree that, there should be no restrictions on OC, at all. But I'm sort of up in the air on CC rights. I just don't know.

Michigander

imported post

Basically, I'm not as opposed to laws against CC (although ideally I still think it should be a right) because that goes back to English common law, and obviously I believe in OCing. If you're licensed, you can already OC anywhere. Allowing CC for the same privileged few in those areas, it means nothing to me, other than being one more measure of turning a right into a privilege.

That said, I'm not against you guys pursuing it, just trying to explain why I'm not going to get involved.

Venator, you very accurately depicted my thoughts. Having spent half of 2008 in AZ, I think Arizona is a very good example of what gun rights should look like, other than the laws against carrying in a restaurant that serves booze. When you think about it, it defies logic to prevent carry anywhere public, because if a gun owner isn't going to start shooting people for no reason while going shopping or walking down the street, he probably isn't going to do that at a sports arena or a church either. All you really need is laws against being armed while intoxicated, and you're all set. I'm in favor of laws that move in that direction, but the fact is, we don't have nearly enough people here to likely make a big difference to Michigan politicians. :(

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Venator, I'm with you, but what I was getting at is that not that long ago, a person could carry CC or OC and take game with out a lot of restrictions by the state. Now it is just a fact of life that we have to deal with all the laws that have been added since that time when citizens actually had those liberties. That is all I meant by my analogy.springerdave.

Venator

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Venator, I'm with you, but what I was getting at is that not that long ago, a person could carry CC or OC and take game with out a lot of restrictions by the state. Now it is just a fact of life that we have to deal with all the laws that have been added since that time when citizens actually had those liberties. That is all I meant by my analogy.springerdave.
I know you are, but we don't have to like them, and can work to get them repealed and to restore our firearm rights. That's all I mean.