• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's get together and write the freedom to carry bill we WANT to see!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Let me start out by saying I hate politicians. That being said, I visited Representative Naas's office (he wasn't there, talked to Adam and Mike Mikalsen), Senator Kedzie, he was there, talked to him for 3 minutes, he was between meetings, Lt Governor Kleefisch's office, she wasn't there but her assistant indicated that Mrs Kleefisch is very supportive, Governor Walker's office, he wasn't there, no comment from his staff, Senator Dale Schultz, he wasn't there, talked to Anthony Rallo, Representative Edwards Brooks, he wasn't there, talked to an assistant Terri.

Anyhow, the jist of the conversations boiled down to the following:

1. Kedzie is concerned about a permit for reciprocity
2. Nass is concerned about blowback if we try going to Constitutional Carry directly

Everyone I was talking to said that they are getting conflicting messages from the pro-gun lobbies. Several times I was told that anyone who introduces a bill wants to be assured that the other side of the pro-gun folks won't fight it.

Basically, they want us to get our act together and give clear direction what we want.

I have a headache. I told them that this document is our (some members of OCDO) stab at what we want. We know we want/need Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground and some other stuff but this would level the playing field between oc and cc as well as remove obstacles for carrying without doing the car dance.

I kept getting push back that 'we are only working on economics and jobs'. I called them all on the table and told them that was fine and good but other legislation is being considered and being voted on, such as voter ID. I told them that I wasn't expecting this to pass tomorrow, just that I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Anyhow.

I'm going to send this to the NRA and others to see if I can get buy in or at the least get them to propose SOMETHING formal. Everyone I talked to today has said I was the 1st person to put something in writing.

phred

Thank you for breaking the ice. Now they know something will have to happen.

I think the reciprocity thing is an argument used by many instructors/trainers. Constitutional Carry and an optional shall-issue permit bill can be separate entities.

Have a stiff drink and relax, thanks again

protias

Let me start out by saying I hate politicians. That being said, I visited Representative Naas's office (he wasn't there, talked to Adam and Mike Mikalsen), Senator Kedzie, he was there, talked to him for 3 minutes, he was between meetings, Lt Governor Kleefisch's office, she wasn't there but her assistant indicated that Mrs Kleefisch is very supportive, Governor Walker's office, he wasn't there, no comment from his staff, Senator Dale Schultz, he wasn't there, talked to Anthony Rallo, Representative Edwards Brooks, he wasn't there, talked to an assistant Terri.

Anyhow, the jist of the conversations boiled down to the following:

1. Kedzie is concerned about a permit for reciprocity
2. Nass is concerned about blowback if we try going to Constitutional Carry directly

Everyone I was talking to said that they are getting conflicting messages from the pro-gun lobbies. Several times I was told that anyone who introduces a bill wants to be assured that the other side of the pro-gun folks won't fight it.

Basically, they want us to get our act together and give clear direction what we want.

I have a headache. I told them that this document is our (some members of OCDO) stab at what we want. We know we want/need Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground and some other stuff but this would level the playing field between oc and cc as well as remove obstacles for carrying without doing the car dance.

I kept getting push back that 'we are only working on economics and jobs'. I called them all on the table and told them that was fine and good but other legislation is being considered and being voted on, such as voter ID. I told them that I wasn't expecting this to pass tomorrow, just that I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Anyhow.

I'm going to send this to the NRA and others to see if I can get buy in or at the least get them to propose SOMETHING formal. Everyone I talked to today has said I was the 1st person to put something in writing.

Well, if we are the first group to hand them what we want (and no one else has any formal document), that gives a clear definition of what we the people want.

Both reps you spoke with, their fears are unfounded. VT is doing just fine.