• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marysville Stop

kryptonian

imported post

fozzy71 - COOL SHIRT!!!!
when i was a cop you heard the - "we're going to sue" "you'll hear from my lawyer" "i know the chief of police/mayor/sheriff" "you'll be charged/fired" all this while enforcing law and not overstepping the bounds of law enforcement. it's all bluff to scare the police and it doesn't work and by the way you NEVER hear anything from those people again. the people you DO hear from never say a word.

these officers i'm sure think they were protecting their citizens but at the cost of committing an overstepping of law and duty. police encounter many people who want to argue law but it is the contacts lack of legal knowledge or misinterpretation of law that makes it difficult. after they were in jail did they know the real law - too late then. tv shows are NOT a good source of legal knowledge. people that really are armed with correct legal statutes and it's application including case law are easier to deal with and a threat to LEO that does choose to exceed it.

CrimDoc

imported post

Wow ... just listened to the audio clip ... little I can add to what's been said already except that this is one of the worst abuses of police power I've heard in a long time.

The LEO basically states "I don't care what the law is ... I'm going to ignore it."

I certainly hope you gentlemen follow up the complaint process to the fullest extent possible.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
Wow ... just listened to the audio clip ... little I can add to what's been said already except that this is one of the worst abuses of police power I've heard in a long time.

The LEO basically states "I don't care what the law is ... I'm going to ignore it."

I certainly hope you gentlemen follow up the complaint process to the fullest extent possible.

We will be filing complaints at both the state and federal level. This type of treatment can not go without proper action being taken.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
CrimDoc wrote:

We will be filing complaints at both the state and federal level. This type of treatment can not go without proper action being taken.
Keep us updated

JohnGalt

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Have you considered (or consulted an attorney to determine) what counts you will include within a federal complaint? I read the previous posts and see a colorable state claim but not sure if I see a federal cause of action here. For example, I do not think that 42 USC 1983 would apply here without more. That being said, the officers' conduct was absolutely ludicrous but not sure if it was a violation of civil rights. It was "nearly" a violation of civil rights if they went further.

mitunnelrat

imported post

I've got another example of (suspected) Marysville misconduct that involves me... I ran into the PD one day last year to register a pistol and they photocopied my DL and CPL for their records. I seem to remember hearing only the state mandated registration card was legal material for them to collect... I didn't have time to pursue it then, forgot about it for a time, and it just came to me again.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

care to explain why you were at the office registering your pistol with a cpl?

cpl holders do not need a permit to purchase.

is there a step a cpl holder has to do at the office I am not aware of?

I thought the pistol sales record was left at the dealer.

Bronson

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

You keep a copy, the seller keeps a copy, and you mail or drop off two copies to your local PD who then keeps a copy and forwards the last copy on to the MI State Police.

I drop my registrations off at the local PD since I often pass by there on my daily travels.

Bronson

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

For the LEO who the asked, "How do I know youre not a felon who’s in possession of a gun?" And one of the OC’ers answered correctly "You don’t."

What the LEO fails to understand that not every fruit of the proverbial "Tree of Liberty" will be tasteful. In this instance the protection that the 4th Amendment provides will taste delicious to the citizen and bitter to the LEO. But for the LEO, that isn’t or wasn’t good enough, he would rather be lazy and take an axe to the entire Tree of Liberty by trampling upon theOC'ersrightsunder the guise of protecting the other citizens present at the fair than occasionally taste the sometimes bitter fruit of ordered liberty.

He should be thrown off the force and to the proverbial wolves, he is a bourgeoning tyrant hiding behind the color of the law.

"Once you buy the argument that some segment of the citizenry should lose their rights, just because they are envied or resented [or feared because they’re OCing], you are putting your own rights in jeopardy - quite aside from undermining any moral basis for respecting anybody’s rights. You are opening the floodgate to arbitrary power. And once you open the floodgate, you can’t tell the water where to go."

- Thomas Sowell:"Enough Money"

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Michigander

imported post

I positively love the garbage about "we don't know who you are". It's a perfect example of a cop proving for the record that they have no RAS. I cannot believe how many cops are that stupid or inept. It seems to happen more often than not in a wrongful detention or other harassment situation like this, including each and every time I have been wrongfully detained.

As big of an advocate as I am about clamming up and saying nothing, you guys did an exceptionally good job arguing with them to provide evidence. Very well done. :celebrate

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:

if it was long enough ago, he was probably getting the safety inspection

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you want to do an "official" or "unofficial" OC walk/march/ litter pickup....etc on June 26th or 27th I'm in.

Thanks guys for all of the good work you do for the OC movement. Without your help I know OCing in my town (Taylor, MI) would be a hell of a lot harder. Litter pickup would show the town folk we are there to help in my opinion.

- Jeff

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
If you want to do an "official" or "unofficial" OC walk/march/ litter pickup....etc on June 26th or 27th I'm in.

Thanks guys for all of the good work you do for the OC movement. Without your help I know OCing in my town (Taylor, MI) would be a hell of a lot harder. Litter pickup would show the town folk we are there to help in my opinion.

- Jeff
we'd love to have you. it's going to be a picnic. (we can still show we are there to help by eating hot dogs and protecting their rights)
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/45558.html