• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May I suggest a different choice of words when referencing one's firearm?

mwaterous

Can we all at least agree to refuse to let the uninformed masses go uncorrected when they lump "semiautomatic" and "machine gun" together as if they are synonymous? That really DOES get my panties in a bunch!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If anyone ever invited me out to fire their "machine gun", and I got out there to find out it was just another semi automatic rifle like my own... well... it would still be fun, but there'd be some heavy eye rolling and no end of witty jabs at aforementioned persons firearms knowledge.

Merlin

I just thought of a good analogy.

I do not refer to myself as a Biker, even though it may be technically accurate. The term Biker evokes an imagine of an outlaw/renegade for a lot of people, and that does not accurately describe me (or I am not admitting to it). I'm not saying agree with the connotation, but I wasn't consulted first either. :)

Motorcycle owner/rider/enthusiast.

I thought of this as I was out and about running errands today, on my motorcycle. A beautiful 82 in Vegas right now. Five Guys for lunch. Mmm yeah. Have a great vocabulary-expanding weekend y'all!.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

FTG-05

I just thought of a good analogy.

I do not refer to myself as a Biker, even though it may be technically accurate. The term Biker evokes an imagine of an outlaw/renegade for a lot of people, and that does not accurately describe me (or I am not admitting to it). I'm not saying agree with the connotation, but I wasn't consulted first either. :)

Motorcycle owner/rider/enthusiast.

I thought of this as I was out and about running errands today, on my motorcycle. A beautiful 82 in Vegas right now. Five Guys for lunch. Mmm yeah. Have a great vocabulary-expanding weekend y'all!.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

You're a biker. No negative connotation for me since I don't have a problem with calling it like I see it. We just had +20K bikers come through town a couple weeks ago (Trail of Tears), no biggie, except for the money they spend while here and closing down the highway when they're riding through.

Last edited:

Andrew Salinas

A Weapon or a Tool - You decide....

By Definition:
A weapon, arm, or armament is a tool or instrument used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings—physical or mental—artificial structures, or systems. In human society, weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as hunting, crime, law enforcement, and warfare.

A tool is any physical item that can be used to achieve a goal, especially if the item is not consumed in the process. Informally the word is also used to describe a procedure or process with a specific purpose. Tool use by humans dates back millions of years.

For me its a tool, but there again to each his own...

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Sorry, but I've come across one or two "tools" that were not weapons. In fact in a world of 100 watt bulbs the were lucky to glow at a 15 watt dimness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

papa bear

Sorry, but I've come across one or two "tools" that were not weapons. In fact in a world of 100 watt bulbs the were lucky to glow at a 15 watt dimness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't get the Bulb dimness thing. but "all tools are weapons" period. there is nothing that can't be used as a weapon.
take your example of the light bulb, can be made into a very dangerous weapon, and there have been a few people killed by them

LkWd_Don

i don't get the Bulb dimness thing. but "all tools are weapons" period. there is nothing that can't be used as a weapon.
take your example of the light bulb, can be made into a very dangerous weapon, and there have been a few people killed by them

LOL The "TOOL" reference in that case was slang.. I.E. meaning a stupid person.. therefore, very dim..

The problem is that even that type of a tool can become something very deadly. Look at how J.A. Muhammad (DC Snipper) used Lee Malvo (who was being a tool) as a tool.

So, yes! All tools can become weapons. Even ink pens, pencils, piano tuning forks, chop-sticks, etc..etc..

Red Dawg

After spending an hour reading this one, I have come tot he conclusion that some people are just tools with weapons. :)

Why not call a spade a spade...It is a gun. A handgun, long gun, shotgun, machine gun....When a person is a non-anti, and asks you "the question" What kind of gun is that? Do you get upset? Why is there so much discussion IRT whether it is a waepon, or a gun, or a tool, or a flapjack? Call it what it is. Today it might be a sidearm, tomorrow a PD Weapon, but it will always be a properly holstered gun on a law abiding citizen's side.

OC for ME

After spending an hour reading this one, I have come tot he conclusion that some people are just tools with weapons. :)

Why not call a spade a spade...It is a gun. A handgun (GAT), long gun (RIFLE), shotgun (SCATTERGUN), machine gun (ILLEGAL EVEN IF IT AIN"T ILLEGAL)....When a person is a non-anti, and asks you "the question" What kind of gun is that? Do you get upset? (Well yeah, they used the wrong word.) Why is there so much discussion IRT whether it is a weapon, or a gun, or a tool, or a flapjack? Call it what it is. Today it might be a sidearm, tomorrow a PD Weapon, but it will always be a properly holstered gun on a law abiding citizen's side.

It's referred to as a "griddle cake" and don't you forget it.;)

Tony_B

When I was a Navy Corpsman assigned to the Fleet Marine Force and an Marine Corps infantry unit specifically, I never heard one Marine call any of their firearms 'assault rifles.' Weapon, yes. Assault rifle, no.

The phrase 'assault rifle' has no meaning and is an anti creation for the purpose of demonizing almost every semi-automatic rifle regardless of its form. A hammer can be a weapon; a wooden stock, single shot, bolt action .22 could be an 'assault rifle' if someone were to rob someone with it.

My original post was meant to give thought to the words and phrases we use and not give ammunition to those who want to disarm us. They should not be defining the terms of the debate. Allowing them to do so is to give them ground they have no business standing on.

Why not call a spade a spade...It is a gun. A handgun, long gun, shotgun, machine gun....When a person is a non-anti, and asks you "the question" What kind of gun is that? Do you get upset? Why is there so much discussion IRT whether it is a waepon, or a gun, or a tool, or a flapjack? Call it what it is. Today it might be a sidearm, tomorrow a PD Weapon, but it will always be a properly holstered gun on a law abiding citizen's side.

Last edited:

FTG-05

When I was a Navy Corpsman assigned to the Fleet Marine Force and an Marine Corps infantry unit specifically, I never heard one Marine call any of their firearms 'assault rifles.' Weapon, yes. Assault rifle, no.

The phrase 'assault rifle' has no meaning and is an anti creation for the purpose of demonizing almost every semi-automatic rifle regardless of its form. A hammer can be a weapon; a wooden stock, single shot, bolt action .22 could be an 'assault rifle' if someone were to rob someone with it.

My original post was meant to give thought to the words and phrases we use and not give ammunition to those who want to disarm us. They should not be defining the terms of the debate. Allowing them to do so is to give them ground they have no business standing on.

These two statements are mutually exclusive IMO. By kowtowing to ignorance (whether deliberate and/or intentional or not), we allow ignorance and the ignorant to dictate the argument. No thanks.