• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

papa bear

Hey guys. I have been lurking for a while.....first time commenting. I live in North Wilkesboro, and I have been OCing for a month or so. I know most of ya'll live further down east, but I will still share, in case anybody ventures up this way and may be worried about the whole OC reception....like I was. Overall my experience has been quiet. So far I have been to Lowe's Foods, IGA, Dollar General (there is one on every corner up here.), McDonalds....got a few stares there, but nothing more. I'm not sure if they were looking at the 9, or the fact that I am a 6ft tall woman....lol. Several gas stations, no problems other than the stares....just to name a few. Overall the reception has been good, way up here in the Bible belt.

I stumbled upon this site by accident, and it has become one of my favorites. I really enjoy reading the posts about the different OC experiences. Some of you guys should be writers....or comedians, because they are too funny. I don't comment much, but I am here almost daily reading the posts. Thanks for creating this nice place for us OC'ers. Nice to meet ya'll.

Hey Ms. Roten, welcome to the forum. I have found this to be a very good site and I also.recommend it to people who hide their guns

I am.next door to you in Surry county. I hope you can come t o meet and greets here. Or if you like, we can set up something in Wilkes county.

papa bear

Someone obviously did something right in preparing the young man for the world as he recognized the difference between a good guy and a BG + the gun itself was not frightening to him.

You added to his store of information which will only further promote that his choices/decisions on OC and RKBA are fact based. Soon he will be of legal age, a voter, and maybe a leader of some note. We will need future defenders of our faith as we ol' pharts ride beyond sight and sound.

Good job.

Pretty simple GRAPESHOT, all bad guys hide their guns

Thanks!

Thank you all for the warm, and friendly reception. Great group here. I look forward to reading more OC stories, and maybe sharing a few of my own. Going to head to Winston this weekend. I'm going to Gander Mtn. and Sams Club. Never OC'd at either place, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Blessings!

moonie

Thank you all for the warm, and friendly reception. Great group here. I look forward to reading more OC stories, and maybe sharing a few of my own. Going to head to Winston this weekend. I'm going to Gander Mtn. and Sams Club. Never OC'd at either place, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Blessings!

I've OC'ed at Gander Mountain in Greensboro, not an issue. I've never OC'ed at Sams but then I don't have a membership, shouldn't be a problem as Walmart follows state law, should be the same at Sams.

I'm quite familiar with your neck of the woods as I worked at Lowes doing computer support many years ago. I was one of the ones that packed up the computers when they moved into the facility in Mooresville. Still miss eating lunch at Monterays Mexican restaurant.

BlowMonkey5

Unicorn

Saw a unicorn on Friday night in Ruby Tuesday's on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh. Told him it was nice to see another OC'er. Was it one of you guys here?:monkey

PATRIOT88

Banned
Avoid Lenoir

I was in Lenoir toward the end of last month....had no issue at the walmart...but when I went to waffle house, someone called the police when I was testing open carry (having never done it before, wanted to try it. Did it with a realistic/replica co2 handgun.) Police in Lenoir came within 30-60 minutes after I finished eating, this was between 0645-0740 hours, they interrupted a phone call of mine, did their protocol, temp disarming me, etc. But heres where they ****** up and got me upset. In their check of my handgun, they SLAMMED the magazine back in the handgun on a concrete base of a lightpost, which, of course jammed it up and seemingly broke or severely damaged the magazine release. It functions like a real handgun, working slide, 1.5 pounds, and magazine goes in securely and easily with just a palm strike upward to lock the magazine in place. LENOIR POLICE DO NOT RESPECT OPEN CARRIERS OR THEIR ARMS. Those that open carry any type of firearm, should AVOID LENOIR!

WalkingWolf

I was in Lenoir toward the end of last month....had no issue at the walmart...but when I went to waffle house, someone called the police when I was testing open carry (having never done it before, wanted to try it. Did it with a realistic/replica co2 handgun.) Police in Lenoir came within 30-60 minutes after I finished eating, this was between 0645-0740 hours, they interrupted a phone call of mine, did their protocol, temp disarming me, etc. But heres where they ****** up and got me upset. In their check of my handgun, they SLAMMED the magazine back in the handgun on a concrete base of a lightpost, which, of course jammed it up and seemingly broke or severely damaged the magazine release. It functions like a real handgun, working slide, 1.5 pounds, and magazine goes in securely and easily with just a palm strike upward to lock the magazine in place. LENOIR POLICE DO NOT RESPECT OPEN CARRIERS OR THEIR ARMS. Those that open carry any type of firearm, should AVOID LENOIR!

How old are you? I am trying to understand why you would risk your life carrying a airsoft handgun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

How old are you? I am trying to understand why you would risk your life carrying a airsoft handgun.

Regardless of age, selection of "gun" was a very poor choice.

There are means to recover such neglegent damage - FOIA, complaint to LEA, and small claims court.

See no reason to avoid Lenoir - that is abandining the field.

papa bear

I was wondering the same thing. Why would you risk your life with a fake gun. I have been asked if my gun is real, and I always say, it would be silly for me to carry a fake one

I do agree with GRAPESHOT, maybe we need to go down there and have a meet and greet, or even a carry walk. Would any of you like to go with me?

WalkingWolf

I was wondering the same thing. Why would you risk your life with a fake gun. I have been asked if my gun is real, and I always say, it would be silly for me to carry a fake one

I do agree with GRAPESHOT, maybe we need to go down there and have a meet and greet, or even a carry walk. Would any of you like to go with me?

I wish I could, but I have this phobia to travel, or maybe I am just lazy.

I suspect he is very young, like in his early teens, as such cannot carry a firearm. It might be the reason for the police reaction, still destroying property is not excusable, but they may have been really annoyed by someone clearly not old enough to legally carry a firearm. It may be they were PO'd for being called out for a fake gun.

Hopefully he will clarify with his age.

PATRIOT88

Banned
bad oc experience

bad
Regardless of age, selection of "gun" was a very poor choice.

There are means to recover such neglegent damage - FOIA, complaint to LEA, and small claims court.

See no reason to avoid Lenoir - that is abandining the field.

I was just testing the level of acceptance for awhile. Wasnt going to carry a 150-350 dollar revolver or handgun if an 80-120 dollar umarex co2 handgun got seized or broken....so yeah...because of this, Im not sure if Im going to carry any type of handgun anymore. I have a limited budget....and no vehicle. not sure how Id win the case....I dont even have the officers name and they seemed very eager for me to get out of Lenoir/Caldwell county and took me to Catawba.

PATRIOT88

Banned
inquiry answer

bad

I was just testing the level of acceptance for awhile. Wasnt going to carry a 150-350 dollar revolver or handgun if an 80-120 dollar umarex co2 handgun got seized or broken....so yeah...because of this, Im not sure if Im going to carry any type of handgun anymore. I have a limited budget....and no vehicle. not sure how Id win the case....I dont even have the officers name and they seemed very eager for me to get out of Lenoir/Caldwell county and took me to Catawba.

I am 27....but like I said above, why risk a real/more powerful handgun being damaged or seized if I cant even get through 1/2 or a full day with a test handgun. I understand the risks of what I did but Im still new to the area/state and wanted to see how well the acceptance was before I carried a revolver, real handgun or long gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
bad

No amount of suggestion, advice, or direction well work when someone has already determined in their mind why these will fail. You asked, we answered, you seem to have rejected - strange that.

WalkingWolf

bad

You can buy a Hi Point for about the same as that umarex if you can find one used. My wife bought a CF380 new for 140, it has served her well, and is very sturdy. It is not her carry gun, but she has carried it before. And here is the bonus, no matter how your gun gets damaged Hi Point will repair or replace it for Nada, Zip, only cost would be shipping it back to them. Hers has had almost 500 rounds through it without a single failure. That is unusual for any gun, and you probably could count on any gun needing to break in.

I would have absolutely no problem with carrying one for a EDC, I just have others I prefer. I would suggest the C9 though as ammo is less expensive.

carolina guy

I know this is a little dusty...but did have a couple questions:

What do they actually mean by "incident to hunting"?

What "...other lawful purposes..." ?

They aren't quite like USPS in that I've not heard them claiming the sidewalk as property.

TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS

-HEAD-
Sec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal
facilities

-STATUTE-
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
not more than 1 year, or both.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political
subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or
prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such
possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
purposes.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term ''Federal facility'' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term ''dangerous weapon'' means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is
used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket
knife with a blade of less than 2 1/2 inches in length.
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

PATRIOT88

Banned
QUALITY OF SUGGESTED handgun questionable?

Ive heard hi point and taurus are not very reliable. I wouldnt mind meeting others still....

WalkingWolf

Ive heard hi point and taurus are not very reliable. I wouldnt mind meeting others still....

Probably from people who don't own them, and have spent mega bucks on guns with just their name for the reason to buy. There is another member on here who shoots Hi Points, and he echos my experience. But if you have any kind of problem Hi Point will fix it, free of charge, even if you created the problem. Probably you should check out some actual Hi Point owners before selling them short.

And hey, it is a hell of a lot better than carrying a toy gun...:lol::lol::lol:

[video=youtube;qQU_icf92f8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQU_icf92f8[/video]

Unless you intend to drag a HP down the road, it should stop a threat a hell of a lot better than a BB gun. But if you do drag it down the road they will fix it for you.

Last edited: