• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ND: Man shoots self to death in Spotsy grocery store parking lot

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
+1, Wylde.

If you use the holster PROPERLY, there isn't a thing wrong with it! I was also quite annoyed when the story came out with an "instructor" that had an ND with one. He was a bonehead that wasn't using the equipment properly. SERPAs are very reliable IF properly maintained AND if you are properly trained in their use. They aren't "idiot-proof" and neither are Glocks.

Not to take this too far OT MSC...but did you use the military flap holster and if so, what's your opinion of it?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
It seems that morons love Glocks... Which is partially understandable, they were designed for Cops...

Really?

You went there?

Would you mind telling us what you do for a living so we can make baseless, generalized statements about those in your line of work?

Oh, and the gun was designed for the Austrian military, not cops....but thanks for playing.

sidestreet

Good point altajava..., the safety..., what great thing to have on firearm, until...,

I used to own a Beretta that you could pull the trigger with minimal extra effort while the safety was on:eek:.

you learn just exactly what a safety on a firearm really is. For all of you that already know, skip down to the next post or whatever you please. For those of you who weren't quite sure how you would define such a thing, let me give you a fair and useful definition.

A safety is a mechanical device made by humans that can FAIL. It can be modified, and/or bypassed so as to become totally ineffective. No one should substitute using a safety in place of basic safe gun handling rules..., EVER!!! The best "safety" you can have is your brain, learn to use it before you lose it..., and other really important stuff. :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
5547242760_c73a55d78a_m.jpg

It seems that morons love Glocks... Which is partially understandable, they were designed for Cops...

ixtow, might want to tone it down a notch or two. I make fun of Glocks and don't especially care for them but many here do and I don't normally hit on the person.

We have a lot of LEO's and ex Leo's that are solid people and considering the number of trolls that have come on board, I'm glad to have good people on line.

Proshooter is an exLeo, a firearms instructor and despite not liking Bar-B-Q and carrying a Glock:lol:, a good friend, and one of the more active OC'ers in the area.

He is definitely NOT a Moron!

DocWalker

ixtow, might want to tone it down a notch or two. I make fun of Glocks and don't especially care for them but many here do and I don't normally hit on the person.

We have a lot of LEO's and ex Leo's that are solid people and considering the number of trolls that have come on board, I'm glad to have good people on line.

Proshooter is an exLeo, a firearms instructor and despite not liking Bar-B-Q and carrying a Glock:lol:, a good friend, and one of the more active OC'ers in the area.

Well Said.....

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Thank you for the kind words, Peter Nap. (I'm still not going to eat B-B-Q though) LOL

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you for the kind words, Peter Nap. (I'm still not going to eat B-B-Q though) LOL

You might not even have to buy me lunch:lol:.
I may not make it through the weekend. I'm sopping wet, it's sleeting, my beard is covered in ice and I have to keep my rifle in the ATV scabbard (Still BP season and I have to keep my powder dry).

I haven't seen anything but one bear and a conga line of Doe's.....and...it's not even lunch time yet!:eek:

Thank goodness for military grade Ipad cases.:lol:

2a4all

you learn just exactly what a safety on a firearm really is. For all of you that already know, skip down to the next post or whatever you please. For those of you who weren't quite sure how you would define such a thing, let me give you a fair and useful definition.

A safety is a mechanical device made by humans that can FAIL. It can be modified, and/or bypassed so as to become totally ineffective. No one should substitute using a safety in place of basic safe gun handling rules..., EVER!!! The best "safety" you can have is your brain, learn to use it before you lose it..., and other really important stuff. :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

I seem to recall some words from long ago (from Boys Life, IIRC) admonishing shooters to "...never trust the safety on any gun...".

Good advice then, even better now.

Last edited:

sidestreet

Bravo, 2a4all...,

I seem to recall some words from long ago (from Boys Life, IIRC) admonishing shooters to "...never trust the safety on any gun...".

Good advice then, even better now.

+100. The value of those words will never decrease, and I see you've taken them to the bank..., the memory bank, and if you keep reinvesting your "Interest", it should pay dividends worth far beyond any money we will ever have!!! :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Really?

You went there?

Would you mind telling us what you do for a living so we can make baseless, generalized statements about those in your line of work?

Oh, and the gun was designed for the Austrian military, not cops....but thanks for playing.

And I'll go there with the .40 S&W, too. Get a sense of humor...

COMMENT REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

DJEEPER

This thread solidifies my love of my XDm40. So many safeties that are only disengaged with proper grip and trigger pull.

Sad story....

MSC 45ACP

Not to take this too far OT MSC...but did you use the military flap holster and if so, what's your opinion of it?

The only time I ever used a "flap" holster (I think it was called the M-82, but someone else can correct me there) was for the first few days I was in the Persian Gulf Gulf during Desert Storm. I didn't like it, but it did protect the M9 from "stuff" happening to it. For the folks that used it, We conducted TRAINING for them on it's use. There is a technique where you flip the plastic d-ring down with your thumb and grasp the pistol grip shortly thereafter. We carried the M9 with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off.

I couple days after I arrived, I found a leather shoulder-rig "tanker's holster" in my armory. I found that most comfortable when working on machineguns and getting in and out of boats. I'll try to insert a couple pics from 1991 here with both holsters.

mike_M60.jpgMSC_m60 fix.jpg

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
This is the holster your SHOULDN'T be carrying in if you want to reduce the chanced on a negligent discharge. It utilizes your trigger finger to disengage the retention system. No thank you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Where do you people come up with this crap. So a few mental midgets have shot themselves while attempting to draw from this holster does not mean it is an unsafe holster.

Brian

Dreamer

Where do you people come up with this crap. So a few mental midgets have shot themselves while attempting to draw from this holster does not mean it is an unsafe holster.

Brian

I don't think that picture was to slam a specific manufacturer or a specific design, but rather to point out that a holster in bad repair can be dangerous.

After all, I DO NOT think the holster in that pic was actually DESIGNED and shipped that way from the manufacturer. IT got that way from years of neglect and abuse...

BlackBusJoe

Here, look a holster caused AD..

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

GRAPHIC PICTURE.

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

5547242760_c73a55d78a_m.jpg

Sorry I'm late to this party, I noticed the quoted post and before I finished the thread I wanted to say something.
If you use a holster as jacked up as the one in the picture you are retarded.

Now about the topic, its a damn shame this happened, and in front of the children at that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is the holster your SHOULDN'T be carrying in if you want to reduce the chanced on a negligent discharge. It utilizes your trigger finger to disengage the retention system. No thank you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

The person in the video did everything wrong - the holster is not at fault. The release on a Serpa should never be pressed with the tip of the finger - always with the flat underside of the index finger which will cause your trigger finger to be indexed straight along the frame, out of the trigger guard - precisely where it should be no matter what type of holster is being used.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until on target - end of story.

wylde007

See also...

The person in the video did everything wrong - the holster is not at fault. The release on a Serpa should never be pressed with the tip of the finger - always with the flat underside of the index finger which will cause your trigger finger to be indexed straight along the frame, out of the trigger guard - precisely where it should be no matter what type of holster is being used.
Post #31 above...