• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Some Advice Selecting A Handgun

Don Barnett

Boys...Boys...!

Aren't these forums provided so that folks who have common values and interests can share their experiences and give advice in a friendly manner?

Jack asked for advice about his first handgun purchase and the thread turned into a brawl.

JeffinWesternWA

realize, ....if you buy a larger gun and then start to contemplate "not" carying it, due to weight or size, you would have been better off w/ a smaller gun and having it, vice leaving the bigger one home. Plus:, durability, the ability to get it quickly out of your drawer/safe to take with you, "oops" it'll handle a drop, etc., are all real world considerations. A .357 might be too bulky. An auto might be to unweildy with loading/unloading/chambering. A double action may "snag" in a coat pocket.All considrations but, get one that you WILL carry, practice with. A .45 might be just too big.

Maybe a compromise would be a.38+P, just a thought? I have no hangups about sticking my S&W642 chambered and loaded w/ Speerdot +P's in my pocket or holstering winter or summer. I have small hands and am not a large guy. Like a revolver. Extended grips with the laser sight make it a confident shoot. Speedloaders in car, nightstand, coat pockets, etc., are more than ample firepower. Something similaiar (or different) may work for you. It'll take some time but, remember, if you gotta carry it, cold, hot, dress, work, casual, wet, dry, etc., get something you WILL do that with...

lx_1537

Go to the dealers and look at their guns and see which one feels/fits your hand/budget. Go with XD or Glock on semi-autos, s&w or taurus on revolver. Your going to be spending more money on buying ammo's before you know it.

Seth1981

Just my 2 cents on what *TehGruu* mentioned about the 1911. I got a Metro Arms for 500 out the door. It is very reliable. Not as well known as colt or springfield but a nice upgradable pistol for the $$$

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Wow! A Wilson as a carry gun! No wonder you carry a semi!

What else would you do with a Wilson?

Seriously, in my opinion, the immediate-action drills for a semi-auto are more complex than for a revolver. With a revolver, you simply squeeze the trigger again...no need for "tap, rack, bang" drills. This is why my wife carries a K-frame .357 magnum. She is a very good shot with semi-autos, but feels more comfortable with the reduced complexity of the revolver in the stress of a life-threatening emergency.

As for reloading a revolver...When I was a police officer, 18 well-placed rounds in 12 seconds was the minimum to qualify. Some of us could do considerably better. Using my S&W 625 with moon clips, I can still place 18 rounds of .45 ACP on target faster than most people can with an M1911. It's all about practice. Those who doubt the ability to load and fire a revolver rapidly just haven't been properly trained and/or didn't practice enough.

My recommendation for the .357 revolver, though, still goes back to the issue of versatility. If you're only going to have one handgun, versatility matters. If you have as many handguns as I have, you can pick one for what you plan to do (or even what you plan to wear) today, but if you have only one...well...it's a good idea to have one which will do most of the things that you can reasonably expect any handgun to do.

Don Barnett

It Is Nice to Have a Selection

What else would you do with a Wilson?

...If you have as many handguns as I have, you can pick one for what you plan to do (or even what you plan to wear) today...

It's nice to have a selection. You can have "dress-up" handguns, for when you go to fancy places and "regular-wear" handguns, for when you go to "run-of-the-mill" places.

Jack House

ive been waiting for a report from you,
telling us what you got, where you got it, how much it cost, etc!
how well it works, your new rig, your first OC, etc.
oh and pics, or it didnt happen!
OC in Texas? You want me to get arrested? :uhoh:

Anyway, as I have stated. I'm getting a 9mm P99 with an AS trigger from Cabela's for $622.43 after tax. But I am having to wait to pick it up. I'm always either busy with work, have no ride or worse, have no money. It's always something. :banghead:

1245A Defender

wellll....

OC in Texas? You want me to get arrested? :uhoh:

Anyway, as I have stated. I'm getting a 9mm P99 with an AS trigger from Cabela's for $622.43 after tax. But I am having to wait to pick it up. I'm always either busy with work, have no ride or worse, have no money. It's always something. :banghead:

sorry i forgot about texas, no OC, i dont want trouble for you.
lives get buzy, moneys short, time and travel are issues.
you wont be carrying untill you can sort all those things out.
what about getting your CPL?
dont know if you have that yet.
it is very important to have the CPL, so you can carry for self defense, when you do get your gun.
i know it costs money, and it takes time,
but youre gonna need the whole package, for carrying in texas.

Last edited:

Jack House

I already plan on getting my CHL after I get my handgun. I will be going to a place in Houston(I have family that go there a lot anyway) where it's only $85-$90 for the training. So the whole thing should only cost about $230+tax. Still though, I have no idea how long it will take me to save up that much. Though with Christmas, I'll be working a lot more so hopefully wont be too long now.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

weell OK then!

June*

You got somethin to say, old man, then say it. Don't ***** foot about.

been thinkin about your dilemma, limited funds, transportation, CPL, and Draconian state!

you really arent open to gun advise, as you say in the OP, you wand a P99 AS, 625 total at cabelas.

in augest you say you had 425 saved up, dont know if you have more or less now.

out side your house, and while driving in your car, your carry options are few without a CPL.

if you would have applied for your CPL back in augest, and paid about 250 total you would still have about 175 left over, and you would probably have your CPL in hand by now, and a CPL is a handy thing to have, when you actually try to buy a gun, think, waiting period!

there are several options in semi auto hand guns in the range of 175.
cdnn sports sells pa63 starting at 140, and cz82 starting at 170, both are in 9mm makarof.
some folks on a budget buy hi-points, a 9mm costs 160.
any of these reasonable options leaves you 15 to buy a cheap holster, gonna need one of those too.

just some things to think about, instead of daydreaming,,