• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NJ Recipe for "Instant Criminal"

carryall

imported post

New Jersey is a toilet. I know, I was a subject of the state for almost 40 years. I luckly found enough riches there and escaped to the Independent Republic 5 years ago and have never looked orgone back. Years ago I was traveling the turnpike and was stopped for speeding. I was on my way to a pistol match in north jersey and had my gear properly stored as per jersey law. At the stop the trooper was given my documentation and informed by me about my gear and why I was transporting it. With no field sobriety test he arrested me for DUI, impounded my car and confiscated my gear. At the turnpike state police building I had the oportunity to blow the box and vindicate my sobriety as beingcompletely clean. I was charged then with weapons offenses. After an overnight incarseration I was released OR and given a court date. Having no criminal history and a clean driving record my lawyer was able to get the DA and judge to agree to enroll me in the states PTI program which lasted for one year. Othe than the programs restrictions the only other condition I had to agree to was to surrender my brand new Colt Double Eagle .45 to the state, or face five years in prison. I hope the judge liked it. I never did the prison time, and I never saw my Colt again. No words can describe how I enjoy a smooth mellow life here in South Carolina with my cwp and soon to be able to open carry! I really don't think there can be many places worse than zoo jersey.

Carry All:celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What is a PTI program? BTW... you were 'victimized' royally! You did the right thing by gettin' OUT! Man... I'd be pissed. I'll NEVER go east again... for any reason.

carryall

imported post

PTI is short for "Pre-Trail Intervention". It is used to keep first time offenders out of the criminal justice system. As I had never, and still do not have any criminal convictions to this date, I was eligible for this program. I was 35 years oldwhen this occurred. AfterI had completed the year of probation I applied for a nj permit to purchase, because a friend of mine had a relative pass away and he was executor of the will. The deceased family member had a precursor to the Browning 1911. He had a model 1905. AsI collect historicmilitary firearms he knew I would want this for my collection. My local chief of police denied methe permit and I appealed to the u.s. superior court in camden nj. The judge upheld the police chief 's ruling based upon my arrest without conviction of the earlier charges. But in order to due so the judge also had todeclare that his decision was based upon him determining me to be a threat to the general welfare and safety of society. So here I now live in SC and have a cwp and the state of SC has never had a problem with me, nor did zoo jersey. zoo jersey just wanted to keep an antique firearm out of one of it's subjects hands.
Carry All

Tomahawk

imported post

A buddy of mine in the Marine Corps Reserve was heading home to Medford, NJ, from drill one Sunday afternoon. He was wearing his uniform utilities, and had a bunch of 782 gear in his car, which we were all issued, including a cartridge belt, H-harness, helmet, etc.

He also had an empty pistol holster, his M9 being in the armory at the drill center where it belongs.

He got pulled over and when the cop saw the holster he demanded to know where the pistol was. My buddy tried to tell him it was in a government armory in Pennsylvania, and that he was coming home from drill (see the uniform, duh?), but the cop used the holster as an excuse to search the car and fish around for something. Fortunately he didn't find anything.

That was back in the mid-90s. Secondhand story, of course, but it agrees with other NJ stories I have heard, although I don't know if this was state police or local.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Been a long time since I heard the term '782 Gear'.

Kind'a obvious this cop had no prior military service... Nor appreciation of such.

pro2A

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
I'd love tocross paths with a NJ LEO while he or she was visiting in Virginia, the look on their face from seeing a lowly citizen with a GUN on their side would belike an E-ticket at Disney World :exclaim:
This happened to me about a year ago. Some Wayne, NJ LEO's drove out here to Chambersburg to get some auto parts for their department (I guess it was cheaper then having it shipped). Well we crossed paths at a fast food joint... looks were given, but over all it was positive.