• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Officer Fires Gun In Wal-Mart Parking Lot

Aknazer

Sorry I didn't clarify. That was an opinion and has no legal backing that I know of. I have no idea what police policy is in that situation, and as I said it depends on the reason. And while it may very well constitute using deadly force, the person is endangerine others by evading the police. IMHO

And would you like to clarify Blk as to why you're glad the decision doesn't rest with me?

Because lethal force shouldn't be authorized for someone driving off outside of exenuating circumstances? And SHOOTING, even at a tire, is still lethal force. Plus there's the whole issue in regards to the discharge of a firearm depending on where one is (though I know cops don't have to follow the laws like the rest of us).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap

It's because of your..... avatar :uhoh:

I think my avatar is a little better now.

OMG - the pointy finger thing again - H.....E....L.....P......!

ryan7068

The Point

Maybe the cop should have pointed at the man to threaten him and prevent him from driving off :shocker:

Blk97F150

And would you like to clarify Blk as to why you're glad the decision doesn't rest with me?

Sure. Because I disagree with yout opinion that the police should be able to shoot at a fleeing vehicle for 'any ol' reason' that they may have stopped them.

Blk97F150

Update: No response to my FOIA request regarding the departments firearm discharge policy yet. Although technically they have until Monday afternoon to meet the '5 business day' requirement.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Update: No response to my FOIA request regarding the departments firearm discharge policy yet. Although technically they have until Monday afternoon to meet the '5 business day' requirement.

Keep after them. I expect they'll ignore it.
One of my favorite techniques to force them to respond is to FOIA the FOIA.

Send them an FOIA telling them they are in violation of Va FOIA and demand the time and date it was received, where it was sent for processing and the name of the person charged with responding. CC the County Attorney.

Blk97F150

Send them an FOIA telling them they are in violation of Va FOIA and demand the time and date it was received, where it was sent for processing and the name of the person charged with responding. CC the County Attorney.

FOIA the FOIA... I like that!! :cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap

FOIA the FOIA... I like that!! :cool:

Hoorah! Nap's bag of [strike]dirty[/strike] tricks..
respect-067.gif

Blk97F150

Update: My wife called me at work today and apparently I received an envelope with the 'Use of Force' policy for the Lebanon Virginia Police Department in it! Kudos to them for their response! I had expected them to send it to me via email (or at least reply to my emailed request....)... but I guess they wanted to respond via USPS, which is fine.

If I can, I'll review it tonight and post a few snips (I can probably scan the whole thing on Monday).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Update: My wife called me at work today and apparently I received an envelope with the 'Use of Force' policy for the Lebanon Virginia Police Department in it! Kudos to them for their response! I had expected them to send it to me via email (or at least reply to my emailed request....)... but I guess they wanted to respond via USPS, which is fine.

If I can, I'll review it tonight and post a few snips (I can probably scan the whole thing on Monday).

That's great news!
Not only did you get it, which surprises the hell out f me, I also know the folks there are still honest!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Lebanon use of force policy

BLK97F150 FOI'ed the us of force policy and to their credit, they responded....Well done BLK!

7595c618.jpg

1-8.jpg

2-9.jpg

3-6.jpg