• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

Trigger Dr

imported post

This AM on the way to the WAC show, I stopped at McDee's for coffee and sausage, egg muffin. One customer got up from his booth seat, walked over looked at my SW99 and returned to the booth and his wife. Nothing said. As I was about to exit. two men who had been in front of me in line asked if I had a cpl. I said no and began a well mannered discussion for the next 15-20 minutes. Presented them withbroshures and invited them to look at the forum. They were both positive and enthusiastic. Good encounter.

Got to the gun show and am happy to report that I met up with Randy Loun. He is back on his feet after a hip replacement, and is doing well having recovered from the stroke. He will not be resuming his law practice. It seems that the stroke was caused by an allergic reaction to Heparin, a blood thinner. Heparin works in reverse when one is allergic. It causes the blood to thicken. about 3% of the population have this allergy. Randy came by the table and I introduced him to M1Gunner and Gogodawgs.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

5/27 Steilacoom Barber Shop

M1Gunr and myself met Pat Moon at the last Puyallup gun show. He gave us his card and since the last gun show my hair has grown out. Fancy that Batman! So I was running some errands in the South End today and decided a small trip to the beach front town of Steilacoom was necessary. I arrived and the shop was closed for lunch, so I spent a few minutes down at the park overlooking the water to waste a few minutes. Then I drove back up to Lafayette St. and parked and went into the shop. Pat was in a good mood today and doing well (Pat has cancer and has good and bad days), got the hair trimmed up nicely. He has a real small old fashioned barber shop, $13 for a men's cut. Conversation was pleasant and KVI was on the radio.

Give Pat a call ahead of time as his shop is a one man operation and his cancer sometimes limits his availability.

1607 Lafayette

Steilacoom, WA

(253) 582-5564‎

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

5/27

Took the family (me, wife, 3 kids) to the IHOP on Mildred in Tacoma for some grub. Then went to the Target on Union to pick up a few things andsee if I could find acmariner's friend from a couple weeks ago. :D

-G20

MAndrew

imported post

Hello everybody, thanks for posting so much information about open carry. It was instrumental in my decision to open carry, which I did for the first time today (Friday). I was with three friends at the QFC in Lacey. The trip was completely uneventful, although one friend said I was the subject of quick stares from a few passing shoppers.

I'll be at the WAC show tomorrow (Saturday) and will stop by the OCDO table. I look forward to meeting some of you there. :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MAndrew wrote:
Hello everybody, thanks for posting so much information about open carry. It was instrumental in my decision to open carry, which I did for the first time today (Friday). I was with three friends at the QFC in Lacey. The trip was completely uneventful, although one friend said I was the subject of quick stares from a few passing shoppers.

I'll be at the WAC show tomorrow (Saturday) and will stop by the OCDO table. I look forward to meeting some of you there. :)
Welcome to OCDO!

Stryker

imported post

The beautiful weather and my son coerced me to take him and two of his little buddies to the farmers market in downtown Puyallup today. Not much time was spent browsing the vendor booths but, as you can imagine, the kids were more than happy to allow me some relaxation time sitting with the other parents watching the playground.

No unusual contacts, save for a couple "why do you have a gun" queries from kids. A couple times I needed to intervene in the play area to do the "parent" thing, but my G17 in its Serpa holster alarmed no one.

During one trip to the restroom, I did notice the posted park rules. No pictures, but I did observe that the sign had been modified by placing a sticker over the second rule. It had been changed to read "No Weapons Allowed". Now, I wasn't at the July 2008 OCDO picnic, but I remember seeing a photo from it that I have copied below. I believe it used to read "No Firearms", but the photo's text is not legible. I'm guessing that Jarhead's run-in with Puyallup P.D. in '08 (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13588&forum_id=55&highlight=ppd)was the motivation for the change. I no longer really care what the sign says except that I know that 99.9% of the general population knows nothing of our state's firearm pre-emption and would assume that this means "No Firearms".

attachment.php

Anyways, I'm just happy that the rainy weather is starting to recede and picnics will be in order. Carry on!

ETA: I also stopped by my local Albertsons (Meridian and 160th) and ran into my son's 4th grade teacher. While her glance at my sidearm was slightly awkward, it was probably not a big deal since she has seen me in her classroom many times with my empty holster (kind of my silent protest). Cheers!

Leatherneck

imported post

Not sure where the line for South Sound is. Also, long thread, so forgive me if someone posted this one already.

OC'd at Albertons on 128th and 1st in Burien. Not so much as a second look from anyone that I noticed.

MAndrew

imported post

6/5

Koibito on Old Hwy 99 in Tumwater. Good food and service, no problems at all.

Home Depot in Tumwater. A few stares but uneventful.

Then went shooting at the gravel pit in Capitol Forest. My friend had bought a Kel Tec SU16 that we had to try out. That thing is light but is great shooting. After about 150 rounds it started jamming but a little oil in the right places and it carried on without further mishap.

6/6

Went to Asian Garden Buffet in Kent as part of my sister's birthday. It was my first time open carrying with my family. They were quite surprised at first (I'm the only one that even owns a gun) and skeptical that it wouldn't raise a fuss. Since we were at a buffet, most people couldn't help but notice I was armed. No one reacted with anything more than a quick stare. When my family saw this they were pleasantly surprised.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Leatherneck wrote:
Not sure where the line for South Sound is. Also, long thread, so forgive me if someone posted this one already.

OC'd at Albertons on 128th and 1st in Burien. Not so much as a second look from anyone that I noticed.

South of Seattle to Olympia......

Today met the new guy in Lakewood at Starbucks with G22Paddy, M1Gunr, Gogodawgs and devildoc....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

6/17

WalMart (Federal Way) in and out to buy ammo...no problems. .40S&W 13.97 box, and there was plenty of everything in stock.

Home Depot (Federal Way) had to pick up some yard supplies... no problems...

UPS Store in Twin Lakes, get my voter card laminated.... no problems....

Browns Point Farmers Market, bought some fresh oysters for dinner....outdoor market with a few dozen people around...no problems....

I did video record with my new recorder... I did not save any of them as there was no issues, but I will in the next day or so put up a sample from the new device.... I like it so far...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029631VI/ref=oss_product

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

6/18

Champion Arms (Kent)

shooting with Deros today...

Pecos Pit (Seattle, Sodo area)

lunch with Deros... if you haven't eaten here it is a must. Best BBQ in town hands down. Be aware that they are only open M-F from 11-4, and on any given day they may be closed or run out of food. There will be a line around 10:30 on most days.

Chevron @ Dash Point

I included the video from my quick trip into the gas station to buy a soda and a candy bar. video is good, audio not as good but it works for OC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WstuXbHDoAA

skiingislife725

imported post

Have been down here in Auburn/Fed Way visiting family...

OCed at

Federal Way
Jimmy Mac's Roadhouse
Warehouse Sports
Old Country Buffet
Barnes & Noble
Home Depot

Lakewood
Denny's OC Meet!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

6/20

Border's Books (Southcenter)

Well after receiving a fathers day gift of a gift card to Border's Books, I had to go spend it today. I had to drop my daughter off in Burien for her last dance performance, then I took a small detour over to Southcenter. Parked in the new garage area, turned on the new video recorder and off into the Border's in Westfield Mall via their independent outdoor entrance.

I snooped around the 'sporting' and 'gun' sections. I already knew what I was going to buy with my new found riches ($30) but thought I would peruse the gratuitous sections in case there was something I couldn't pass up, but to no avail. Briefly thought about buying the Blue Book of Gun Values.

Then over to the current political, legal, and social science section where I would find my new treasure.

Last week I added the author to my Facebook and even had a brief email exchange with him..... and I had his 3rd edition in my sights! Scanned the social science section and found his book in paperback, only $18! Excellent, that would leave me with $12 minus the taxes to pick up a couple of gun magazines (periodicals) as well.

Over to the periodical section and found two magazines that would fill out my gift card and be excellent current reading. Combat handguns and Guns&Ammo Handguns went into my basket! They nestled nicely next to John R. Lott Jr.'s More Guns, Less Crime.

Off to the checkout and then back to the car with nary a word about my Sig in plain view. I thought for sure they cashier would say something. Perhaps my reading material wasn't her fancy. I was sure it wasn't as I have never seen anyone in an 'Evergreen State College' hoodie interested in firearms.

Again, a fairly uneventful outing in the South Sound....

skiingislife725

imported post

Back up in the 'Ham now, but yesterday I went into Fred Meyer in Auburn for about an hour to help my mom grocery shop. Got a head nod from a guy in a hunter orange jacket. Might have got a "shame on you" look from an older lady...or she was looking just past me squinting. I just smiled.

Went to visit my grandpa's grave afterward and as I was getting out of the truck, my mom goes, "Did you open carry in Fred's?" lol...I was next to her the whole time. I did go in concealed under my rain jacket though, as it was raining.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

OC'd at Lowes twice last week when we had sunny days. Went in for some tie plates and lumber and built a raised bed garden in my backyard, all while OC. Got sawdust in my Glock, but it shot just fine afterward. Didn't notice any awkward looks from anyone, overall it was uneventful.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Nick, let me get this straight... You went into Borders in the mall? Borders used to be on the parkway but moved into the mall when the new section of mall was built. Barnes and Noble is still over on Strander Blvd.

Is there a door to Borders from the outside, upper level of the mall? Since Borders is on the upper level.

Maybe you were just testing the mall policy, since we all know they prohibit firearms. If I ever go there I just conceal.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Nick, let me get this straight... You went into Borders in the mall? Borders used to be on the parkway but moved into the mall when the new section of mall was built. Barnes and Noble is still over on Strander Blvd.

Is there a door to Borders from the outside, upper level of the mall? Since Borders is on the upper level.

Maybe you were just testing the mall policy, since we all know they prohibit firearms. If I ever go there I just conceal.
There is a door from the outside on the ground floor. You go in and they have a foyer area and escalators that take you up to the level that Border's is on. So I never had to enter the 'mall' to enter borders. I was completely aware of what I was doing.