• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

MAndrew

imported post

For the past few weeks I was staying with my family in Kent. Now that I'm back at my computer I'll try to recall where I went.

- Kent Dept. of Licensing (the one on 74th AVE)
- Evergreen Eye Clinic, twice
- Emerald Thai on Hwy 99. Waitress seemed happy to see me armed.
- When walking my dog near Hwy 99 a Des Moines police patrol car slowed down to watch me for a moment then continued on.
- Shell on Central next to hwy 167. While heading to the door after paying inside I had this interaction with another customer:
Customer: "WOAH! Is that a real gun?"
Me: "Yes."
Customer: "Are you a cop?"
Me: "Nope."
Customer: "DAYUM! Why do you carry it around?"
Me: "You gotta protect yourself."
At this point I reached the door and exited.

There are probably a few other places that I'm forgetting. I'm mildly surprised how quickly open carrying has become blasé, which is a good thing.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

6/24

Dash Point Chevron

My daughters car had a leak in a seal to the gas tank. (It was just fixed 30 days ago!) Ugh! So she gave me a call while I was in Bellevue with Deros. So off to rescue the 17 y/o. I call AAA on the way, as they usually take an hour to get there and my ETA is about 40 minutes. I call and give them the info, drop off Deros and meet my daughters at the Chevron still waiting for the AAA driver.

We stand around outside in the parking lot and I go in to get a soda and a snack. A couple of young black males walk by us and give us a quick glance and keep on their way. Another couple in a blue Toyota Landcruiser stare at us as they are getting gas, and I nod. The male driver can't take his eyes off of me. As they finish he rolls down the windows and drives by me slowly. I thought for sure he was going to ask a question, but he did not....

Finally the tow truck driver gets there, hooks up the car and takes it to the repair shop. Nothing said by him either.

6/24

Foreign Auto in Auburn (725 N Auburn Way)

Dropped off the car and hung out in the lobby for 15 minutes. No one said a word. Nice shop and they will take care of the faulty gasket sent from Volvo....

Again, not much to report but GOOD NEWS....OC is not a big deal unless your an anti.....

MAndrew

June 26, 2010

Went to the gravel pit at Capitol State Forest with some friends to practice shooting. We had fun in the sun and the place wasn't busy at all. Just two or three other groups at any given time. Afterwards we had dinner at Best Buffet on Littlerock. The manager was curious about firearms so we talked for a while after paying the bill. He was surprised and pleased to hear how unrestricted Americans are to carry firearms, as opposed to his experiences in China.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
6/29

Errands to run today...

Staples (Kent)
Bought paper and ink for the printer, talked with the store manager (friend) for 30 minutes or so... no issues...

Scarff Ford (Kent)
Went in for an oil change, but an hour and a half wait, so I made an appt. for tomorrow... no issues...very busy

O'Reilly Auot Parts (Federal Way)
Needed to replace my sunglass clip for my visor...no issues...good customer service...

FW Discount Guns (Federal Way)
Looking for a holster...had a conversation with an employee about OC, he insists I will be the first to be taken out...haha

Wholesale Sports (FW)
Looking for a holster...no issues...

p.s. In FW they are on full staffing! I must of saw a dozen police cars, motorcycles and 2 WSP troopers....getting ready for the 4th!

DEROS72

Gogodawgs,M1gunr and I had lunch at the I-hop by my place.We had sort of a negative reaction from one of the waitresses .Pretty much brainwashed by the anti gun rhetoric.Maybe one of the guys will jump in and elaborate.
Stoppped for a coffee at a starbucks in Kent for a little confab .Had no negative reactions or reactions at all for what I can see.Then off to Champion Arms to do some shootin...Bills Sig is sweet and so is Nicks when he can get the little roll of caps in right..:0). We noticed a window cracked in the range at Champion.They said a guy locked and loaded and put his weapon to his buddies head,.The range attendant hit the window to get their attention and stop him.No one hurt but really beyond stupid .The sort of f'n around that gives us a bad name.They were banned from the range ...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
After dropping off Deros I headed to my neighborhood KFC. While waiting in line a guy comes up to me and asks if I am a cop. I reply in the negative and he starts telling me how he was told OC was not legal. I was in the middle of my order but told him to give me a second and I would answer all his questions. Turns out he & his wife are CC folks and are in the National Guard (after serving full time stints) and had no idea on OC. I sat with them for about 15 minutes answering all kinds of questions and gave them a couple of pamphlets. I expect to see them on the board soon and joining us in our outings.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
7/3 Walk along Redondo Beach (Des Moines)

This afternoon I took the family for a walk along the beach in Redondo... We were on our way to dinner and a movie. Because of the movie theater I had switched out pistols from the full size Sig (P229) to the smaller Sig (P238) and was CCing. We walked the length of the boardwalk and back and sat down at one of the benches near the pier/bait shop. My daughter noticed the sign.

A quick look at the Des Moines muni code and I see this:

19.08.030 Regulations and prohibited activities.
(4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind or shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.

So they have their code in relation to possession correct. But their holiday sign is extremely misleading. (note: in their muni code no torpedos!)

View attachment 3145

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
7/3 The Commons Mall (Federal Way)

Following up from the walk and dinner earlier...I was CCing because of the movie. (Toy Story 3...excellent by the way). [Since last fall I have been 90% OC and 10% CC]

Upon exiting the mall and hitting the sidewalk, we had a little walk because I parked the car nearer Target earlier. Normally I wouldn't do this but my daughters wanted to by candy for the movie. (snuck in illegal candy and a firearm). We started to walk and had a 17 yo white male approach us, I could tell he was going to talk to us, I moved myself between him and my daughters. I asked how it was going...some sob story...friends car impounded, his coat and phone were in the car. I said have a good night and continued walking. Then I noticed he had turned and decided to follow me and my daughters. I told my daughters to keep walking. I stopped positioned strong side away from him. He was in my bubble! Quickly hand under shirt and on the grip. Again and more strongly I suggested he go inside and ask security for a phone call to his family. He got it and turned away from us.

For 19 years I have carried CC, and this is not the first time while CC I was approached and made uncomfortable. I am sure it won't be the last. Clearly I looked weak to this kid. He was a bit taller than me and obviously younger. I stopped and watched him approach others, he avoided groups of guys but approached a single female going into the mall. I waited and was ready to help. She spent too long listening to this kid. Then, she ran into the mall. FWPD now in route.....

I can tell you this I will probably CC my 229 into the theater next time, but I will probably use the restroom and be OC on the way out if it is a Fri/Sat night.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
As I was loading the truck in the Lakewood Walmart parking lot a gentleman comes over to me to say thanks for carrying. He felt much better walking the aisles knowing I was packing.

OrangeIsTrouble

Haven't contributed to this thread in a while, time to share yesterdays adventure. I got a wake up call on friday night, and realized I need to go shooting as I haven't in several weeks.

Packed up with boxes of ammo and the M&P and headed to the national forest off of i90. Went from exit to exit trying to find a nice road, but most cut off and turned into gravel roads. I was on the kawasexy, so I didn't like the idea of riding down the roads. Was also OCing, cocked and ready to rock in a blackhawk serpa lvl2.

As I was searching along i90, I got back on the freeway and a car drove past, and this time I looked over and a female in the front was twisted around pointing at me to the female (both in excitement/surprise?) in the back, while the driver started to speed up and was going at least 80 (but not speeding away) ahead of me.

I finally said screw it and took my bike on a unpaved road up a mountainside, and found a bunch of people gathered off the road already shooting. I got plenty of looks because of the fact that I was going off road on a super sportbike....I joined them and we got along just fine. Passed the M&P around, a few folks there were new to shooting, as one guy had brought his collection. He was OCing, however none of them were from OCDO. OC guy said he was a CCer guy mostly. Passed the M&P around, and got to try out his sig 226? (it wasn't a beefy grip like yours, gogo) in 9mm, and an FN 5.7x28, THE THING IS LIKE SHOOTING A .22, SMOOTH AS HECKZZZ, but knowing you got a killer round.

After that, on way back home on i90 freeway, some truck was driving along my strongside and I peeked over and there was some guy there with his nikon high end camera whipped out snapping photos of me...I looked back over and he motioned towards the camera and I nodded and was posing while riding on the freeway lol....

All in all, it was a fine day, and I got to fire off a bunch of rounds without stupid range rules. I did however have to remind a couple people about fingers on triggers and sweeping. They didn't get offended, they appreciated that they were being taught the right way early on. I told them I had a bunch of alcohol prep pads but I didn't want to have to use them ;).

Notes for the future, pack bug spray/repellent with range supplies!

MAndrew

7/5

Carried in Amante's in Kent without any reactions. This was the first time going out with my parents and siblings without anyone making reference to my decision to carry. I think they are getting used to it now too. Afterwards I gassed up at the Arco on Meeker and Russell, also in Kent. No problems there either.

Amen to that! I hate having to pack up just because I'm being eaten alive.

J_Douglass

Haven't contributed to this thread in a while, time to share yesterdays adventure. I got a wake up call on friday night, and realized I need to go shooting as I haven't in several weeks.

Packed up with boxes of ammo and the M&P and headed to the national forest off of i90. Went from exit to exit trying to find a nice road, but most cut off and turned into gravel roads. I was on the kawasexy, so I didn't like the idea of riding down the roads. Was also OCing, cocked and ready to rock in a blackhawk serpa lvl2.

As I was searching along i90, I got back on the freeway and a car drove past, and this time I looked over and a female in the front was twisted around pointing at me to the female (both in excitement/surprise?) in the back, while the driver started to speed up and was going at least 80 (but not speeding away) ahead of me.

I finally said screw it and took my bike on a unpaved road up a mountainside, and found a bunch of people gathered off the road already shooting. I got plenty of looks because of the fact that I was going off road on a super sportbike....I joined them and we got along just fine. Passed the M&P around, a few folks there were new to shooting, as one guy had brought his collection. He was OCing, however none of them were from OCDO. OC guy said he was a CCer guy mostly. Passed the M&P around, and got to try out his sig 226? (it wasn't a beefy grip like yours, gogo) in 9mm, and an FN 5.7x28, THE THING IS LIKE SHOOTING A .22, SMOOTH AS HECKZZZ, but knowing you got a killer round.

After that, on way back home on i90 freeway, some truck was driving along my strongside and I peeked over and there was some guy there with his nikon high end camera whipped out snapping photos of me...I looked back over and he motioned towards the camera and I nodded and was posing while riding on the freeway lol....

All in all, it was a fine day, and I got to fire off a bunch of rounds without stupid range rules. I did however have to remind a couple people about fingers on triggers and sweeping. They didn't get offended, they appreciated that they were being taught the right way early on. I told them I had a bunch of alcohol prep pads but I didn't want to have to use them ;).

I wanted to just make a general comment on how this thread has made me more comfortable to OC once I get back from Iraq.

Now to Poosharker, I have an FN FiveseveN and it is awesome. I also went ahead and bought the mag extensions and now have 3 30rd mags :D I plan on making it to events when I get back and anyone is welcome to shoot the FN.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I wanted to just make a general comment on how this thread has made me more comfortable to OC once I get back from Iraq.

The above was why I started this thread, sometimes it may seem mundane, but I do know there are many who lurk about and are curious to try OC. I know I was.

icon6.png
7/4/2010 OC @ Tacoma Freedom Fair with 10,000 plus and 100's of LEO

Wow!
What a great time!

My oldest daughter and I went over to the waterfront in Tacoma for 4 hours. This would be the largest crowd I have OC'd in and my SA was keenly aware of my surroundings. Video camera was rolling just in case. We walked and walked and walked by numerous LEO, right next to them and not even a word was said. My daughter was looking around and told me that only some of the LEO even noticed my Sig. We must of passed 60 or more LEO during our time walking Ruston Way.

We browsed the booths, bought some goodies, and enjoyed some of the food. Stopped by the GOP booth and looked through the buttons and bumper stickers. Chatted with one of the volunteers working the booth, he pointed out a popular bumper sticker: "You can keep your hope and change: I will keep my Guns, Religion, ...." We chuckled and then I twisted my torso and pointed out the holstered Sig. He responded, "Wow!" and we proceeded to talk a bit about open carry. His son OC's, but he was concerned about harassment. I explained that for the most part any harassment is non existent as by my choice to OC in such a large crowd with as many LEO present as there were.

Later, ran into 69Charger and chatted for a bit, he also had no problems.

Met up with Technoweenie later in the afternoon for a bit and we chatted not more than 10 feet from a group of 8 Tacoma PD officers for 10 minutes. They observed us and were probably more curious to see real OCers than anything. They never said a word to us, just a head nod when we finished our conversation and were on our way.

Also, had a couple of others stop me and shake my hand. Chatted a bit and left them with a pamphlet and an invitation to find ocdo.org and join the forum.

Not one single negative reaction in four hours in the crowd of over 10,000 people! What a great day for OC and I am sure that there were dozens and dozens of glimpses but no one ran screaming from Tacoma.

(any techies have a quick easy way to take my videos and shorten them so they fit on youtube?)

boosteddreams

Thank you all for sharing your experience and tips. I recently moved to Lacey from California and am exploring my rights. I have a CPL but have not yet carried openly. If anyone is planning an OC get-together in this area, I'd love to join in. Thanks again, and I hope to add my own experiences with OC soon!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Welcome...

Welcome to the land of freedom...

There is a Starbucks coffee gathering this Saturday morning...

icon6.png
2nd Saturday Meet

It's that time of the month again. I just wanted to remind everyone that this Saturday some of us will be meeting at the Starbucks at 348th & Hwy 99 in Federal Way at 8:00. That's right, I said 8:00. I moved it last month for those of you who said it was too early and you still didn't show up, so we're going back to the original time.

Starbucks
348th & HWY 99 in Federal Way
Saturday, July 10
8:00 am​

Thank you all for sharing your experience and tips. I recently moved to Lacey from California and am exploring my rights. I have a CPL but have not yet carried openly. If anyone is planning an OC get-together in this area, I'd love to join in. Thanks again, and I hope to add my own experiences with OC soon!

Leatherneck

So they have their code in relation to possession correct. But their holiday sign is extremely misleading. (note: in their muni code no torpedos!)

View attachment 3145

I had an acquaintance years ago who decided to celebrate the 4th by firing off his AR-15 from an apartment balcony in Des Moines. Cops showed up to the party and just asked him not to do it again. A little lenient if you ask me.

As I was loading the truck in the Lakewood Walmart parking lot a gentleman comes over to me to say thanks for carrying. He felt much better walking the aisles knowing I was packing.

My wife has told me she will do the same thing. She hasn't had the opportunity yet though.

Last edited: