• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Louis - Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk - Oct 25, 2014

OC for ME

There are things that can be done. Just as we petition our state legislators we too can petition our fellow citizens. Remember, the more citizens involved, armed or not, the greater the effect. Lawfully, and visibly armed is preferred but many citizens walking with "signage" provides the same impact. It is about publicity. It is STL, STL has sidewalks and CC is lawful with a endorsement. Letters to the editor and local TV news outlets. Spread the word far and wide.

Peace disturbance--penalty. - 574.010. 1. A person commits the crime of peace disturbance if: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5740000010.HTM

Unlawful assembly. - 574.040. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful assembly if he knowingly assembles with six or more other persons and agrees with such persons to violate any of the criminal laws of this state or of the United States with force or violence. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5740000040.HTM

Refusal to disperse. - 574.060. 1. A person commits the crime of refusal to disperse if, being present at the scene of an unlawful assembly, or at the scene of a riot, he knowingly fails or refuses to obey the lawful command of a law enforcement officer to depart from the scene of such unlawful assembly or riot. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5740000060.HTM

Resisting or interfering with arrest--penalty. - 575.150. 1. A person commits the crime of resisting or interfering with arrest, detention, or stop if, knowing that a law enforcement officer is making an arrest, or attempting to lawfully detain or stop an individual or vehicle, or the person reasonably should know that a law enforcement officer is making an arrest or attempting to lawfully detain or lawfully stop an individual or vehicle, for the purpose of preventing the officer from effecting the arrest, stop or detention, the person: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5750000150.HTM

Obstructing government operations. - 576.030. 1. A person commits the crime of obstructing government operations if he purposely obstructs, impairs, hinders or perverts the performance of a governmental function by the use or threat of violence, force, or other physical interference or obstacle. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5760000030.HTM

solus

bb, you go'n bail my tired arse out if things go south or will we be cell mates after being sentenced to making little rocks out of big boulders?

LMTD, NC is still forcing their cities to play nice as they steadfastly cling to the 'way it was' mentality. case in point, Durham was finally forced to drop a city ordinance which required citizens to register their firearms, enacted, do not quote me cuz i don't belong to GRNC, i believe late thirties? additionally there are still statutes reminiscent of jim crow's influence on the NC books.
ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

There are things that can be done. ....
Also:
15.48.010 Prohibited. - No person shall loiter or prowl in a place, at a time or in a manner not usual for law abiding citizens, under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity, in any public way, street, highway, place, or alley and refuse to obey the lawful command of a police officer to move on or provide to said police officer a lawful reason for remaining on said public way, street, highway, place or alley if the alleged loitering by said person would create or cause to be created any of the following: http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/cco/code/data/t1548.htm

Search STLs city codes.

http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/cco/code/

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
bb, you go'n bail my tired arse out if things go south or will we be cell mates after being sentenced to making little rocks out of big boulders?...
Carr, the floor walker, has told me that YOU are going to spend a night in the box! :shocker:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
There are things that can be done. Just as we petition our state legislators we too can petition our fellow citizens. Remember, the more citizens involved, armed or not, the greater the effect. Lawfully, and visibly armed is preferred but many citizens walking with "signage" provides the same impact. It is about publicity. It is STL, STL has sidewalks and CC is lawful with a endorsement. Letters to the editor and local TV news outlets. Spread the word far and wide.
Absolutely. Spread the word far and wide.

Thanks for the links. Good stuff.

You're coming, I presume?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Food for thought:

One thing that has worked well for me during some of my walks in Ohio was having literature to hand out. OC for ME, would you mind looking up the legalities associated with that?

I personally won't have any literature, but I think it would be a good idea to put your minds together and come up with something. The main walks I did where literature was handed out was on college campus open carry walks. I set up the printing to divide an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet into four parts, each saying the same thing, with different, but complimentary information on the back (so it was printed it double sided). The pain was cutting the sheets into parts - but then one had lots of small literature to hand out.

In my case, the sheets talked about the legality of open carry, the fact that concealed carry is prohibited on college campuses in OH, even for students who have a license. The papers also contained my name and contact info, together with (as applicable) the name of a contact person in the city where the walk was held.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
By the way, it's not my first, and it won't be my last THANKS, but LMTD is really kicking fanny - in some ways that can be revealed, and some that can't.

Signups continue to be notable. It remains to be seen whether the total will eventually go over my record of 68 ;), but it's certainly impressive.

Thanks LMTD.

JEStucker

I admit, I read a lot more than I post.

I try and do my part as much as time and finances will allow, a few of you have met me at a couple of rallies and some events, but since I'm on the opposite side of the state from most of the real activities, those meetings get few and far between. I make phone calls, write letters, send emails, print fliers and hand them out at gun shops, to all try and get the public involved in retaining their basic rights.

I have marked the time and date on my calendar and would love to participate, but financially its a long shot at this point. At the very least, I will spread the word as best as I can on this side of the state and see if we can get some support headed that way as well.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I admit, I read a lot more than I post.

I try and do my part as much as time and finances will allow, a few of you have met me at a couple of rallies and some events, but since I'm on the opposite side of the state from most of the real activities, those meetings get few and far between. I make phone calls, write letters, send emails, print fliers and hand them out at gun shops, to all try and get the public involved in retaining their basic rights.

Sir, you did a ton! No matter how much I have complained at times about support, it. Is letters and calls from folks like you that allowed us a to get an audience qith the politicians. Don't sell it short at all, without it nothing going would dc ever have changed.

Thank you and everyone else as well!

zekester

So Proud of you guys,,,,,

I really wish I was there to celebrate this victory, but alas I am in Texas now......fighting the fight....

But, You do something in Maplewood......I will be there!!!!!lol

Z

PS.....I read somewhere that Marc passed away.......I was with him at my last OC event before I left MO......he will be sorely missed.....

OC in heaven Marc

Last edited:

BriKuz

I thank almost all involved for the cordial discussion on this event. Reading the reasoned discourse has convinced Janae and I that a drive up from Springfield, MO may be in order. Besides, we haven't seen BB62 since Oberlin II. lol

xdmcompact

34 days and counting! 20 days till Sb656 takes effect. I live in the city and SB656 takes effect on my birthday, what a birthday present!

Last edited:

SavageOne

Just as a test, let's say I do so. Let's see a show of hands for how many people are willing to show up for such an event AND refuse to provide ID if asked, while openly carrying sidearms.

You might want to rethink the refusal part. OC without a state issued CCW permit will still be illegal, if the jurisdiction chooses to keep it's ban in place. All SB656 did is give those with CCWs the ability to ignore said bans. Now here's the rub, if you are OCing in one of those areas a LEO can use that as a reason to stop you and verify that you have a proper CCW. Which means you have to show them one and that is IDing yourself.

And before someone brings up the analogy of stopping you to ensure your not a felon. If you are OCing somewhere OC is not banned, you are already legal and there is no RAS to stop you to check. It's a right, there. In a jurisdiction where OC is banned, there is RAS to check that you meet the criteria( I.E. you have a CCW). It's a privilege, there.

Chapter 571*
Weapons Offenses*
Section*571.121*

August 28, 2013

Duty to carry and display permit, penalty for violation--director of revenue immunity from liability, when.571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall carry the concealed carry permit or endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry permit and a state or federal government-issued photo identification or the endorsement or permit upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry permit or endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.

That's what happens when you turn a right into a privilege.

Renegadez

BB62

I have two concerns

1. Why do this in STL were all tensions from every law enforcement agency from MBI down to local PoDunk Cop is off the charts because of the Ferguson insanity. Why not KC or were there is a local OC ban?

2. BB62 you have stated you have plenty of resources behind you time and money and such. How do we know this you are setting up a BIG site unseen event not that it cannot be true but this is the internet lots of cheap talk. Have you retained counsel? What IF things do go south at the event everyone gets arrested what then is there a plan or is it every man for himself?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
BB62

I have two concerns

1. Why do this in STL were all tensions from every law enforcement agency from MBI down to local PoDunk Cop is off the charts because of the Ferguson insanity. Why not KC or were there is a local OC ban?

2. BB62 you have stated you have plenty of resources behind you time and money and such. How do we know this you are setting up a BIG site unseen event not that it cannot be true but this is the internet lots of cheap talk. Have you retained counsel? What IF things do go south at the event everyone gets arrested what then is there a plan or is it every man for himself?

Research his actions and history right here on OCDO to satisfy many of those questions, I did and I find it refreshing and will indeed be supporting it 100%

Renegadez

LMTD

I i will do that for sure can you give me feed back on my number concern. I live in the KC area and am not close to STL so I am not sure if tensions with law enforcement have subsided any but i would think the timing and impact of what has happened there locally we most definitely effect this event?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
LMTD

I i will do that for sure can you give me feed back on my number concern. I live in the KC area and am not close to STL so I am not sure if tensions with law enforcement have subsided any but i would think the timing and impact of what has happened there locally we most definitely effect this event?

Ferguson is no longer getting national press but by no means is it over at all, there are daily problems happening within the area. Ferguson is really not an issue in contrast to the location of the vent, they are many miles apart, likely close to 20.

I am not able to speak directly to the host motives, however I have discussed them with him and I believe it to be true that his motivation is that doing in in STL proper will draw MORE press coverage, Political coverage, and draw the largest area of support all while being in the lowest area for support for amendment 5 at the voter booths, FYI it did NOT pass in stl or stl county but pretty much everyone in the entire state elsewhere said it is time.

I would offer also that the arch has a bit to do with it, kind of a symbolic gateway to freedom.Opinions vary but those are the thoughts I have gotten from discussing it with the host and it certainly is not his first rodeo.