• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The very reason I don't carry in a serpa

sirpuma

Well said Triggerdr. Please try this. Push your finger down on the desk in front of you at about 7-10 lbs of pressure. ...

Actually, my holsters (all three of them) only require about 2 pounds of pressure and my finger always lands above the trigger on the side of the frame.

The move that Tex made I've practiced. It's a simple draw and shoot from the hip without really aiming at the target. It's not and easy move and it is dangerous if you don't practice without live ammo for your particular setup. Changing setup changes how the draw and shoot works.

massivedesign

Actually, my holsters (all three of them) only require about 2 pounds of pressure and my finger always lands above the trigger on the side of the frame.

The move that Tex made I've practiced. It's a simple draw and shoot from the hip without really aiming at the target. It's not and easy move and it is dangerous if you don't practice without live ammo for your particular setup. Changing setup changes how the draw and shoot works.

+1. The close quarters drill is a very important one. Usually, when we are in fear of our lives, the attacker won't be at 7-10 yards away, they will be on top of us, or too close to draw and "present" the weapon to obtain a sight picture. Hip draw, fire then move is a tactic that many should practice.

Also like OldKim's SOTM. A fantastic event that lets you safely practice real world scenarios. I know that if I am being shot at or in an active shooter enviroment where I need to use my weapon I won't be standing still. At least now I am comfortable with the mechanics needed to be able to shoot and move.

MilProGuy

When attempting to draw quickly, after pushing the release button, my finger was already partially pulling the trigger as the gun came out of the holster.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e2_1309977569

Respectfully, perhaps you should keep your trigger finger extended alongside the weapon while drawing it. The finger should never be on or near the trigger until you have acquired the target and are ready to fire.

I've seen this video before, and the guy shot himself. The holster had nothing to do with the discharge.

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

With my serpa, my finger is relaxed and straight when drawing. The act of laying my straight finger against the release is enough to disengage the lock. My serpa is actually my favorite holster because of the ease and speed of drawing. All I have to do is put my hand on the gun and it's ready to slide straight out of the holster without doing anything but pulling straight up. I don't have to unsnap anything like on my leather and it still has retention unlike my stock XDm holster that it came with.

Mine too... Maybe anyone who hasn't tried a SERPA and thinks that you must put alot of pressure on the release lever should try it and see just how little pressure is needed.

Jayd1981

I OC in a serpa and have never had an issue either (then again the only time I draw my OC piece is at the end of the day to remove it). But I also use a serpa for my practical pistol competitions with my G17 that has a 2lb trigger. With quickly unholstering about a dozen times per day, I have never had my index finger end up anywhere other than along the slide. Like others have said, it takes very little pressure to release it, just laying my finger along the paddle is enough to allow a smooth draw and properly index my trigger finger.

Trigger Dr

Just a little anecdote to highlight that what you do in training is what you will do in stress. There are documented cases of plainclothes officers killed in the line of duty found to have spent brass in their pocket. It comes from saving the brass when practicing and qualifying. This is no longer allowed. After carrying semi auto hand guns as a duty firearm for sevceral years, I transitioned into the Federal system. We were to qualify with S&W 357 mag. At the 7 yd line we were to draw fire, combat reload and fire 6 more in 15 seconds. I fired 6, pressed the cylinder release latch, grabbed my speed loader and tried to cram it into the butt of the revolver. I had trained to the point of reloading a semi quick enough to get the fresh mag in the gun before the empty hit the ground. That DOEN NOT work with a revolver. It was embarrassing, but drove home a point to the others on the firing line...YOU WILL DO IN STRESS WHAT YOU DO IN TRAINING.
I would suggest that those who have a tendency to put the finger on the trigger when drawing, re evaluate your training and start from scratch.

sempercarry

Thanks for the advice everybody. Obviously my opinion is wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I will throw away 17 years of weapons handling and shooting experience (about 300,000rds through pistol just with 5 years in the USMC) under professional instruction and start back at square one with the 4 weapons handling safety rules because of my issue with this one holster. When I noticed my finger doing something with this holster that was potentially very dangerous and didn't happen with any of the 35-40 other holsters I have used, I should have continued to train with it and carry with it even though it made me uncomfortable to do so and even though I had 100 other options in holsters. Next time I am thinking of posting something here that I think, with my obviously very limited experience, may help somebody avoid shooting themselves....I will forget I ever saw it. It is pretty incredible for a bunch of people who want others to accept them in public doing something they don't ever see people doing to be so closed minded to not even consider the POSSIBILITY of what I am saying to exist.

Jayd1981

Damn dude, want to wash the sand out of you know where. I'm sure your the only one here thats ex military or has professional training. I guess my 8 years in the Army and 2 years as a correctional officer means I am no where near as proficient as you. No one here has said you should use a Serpa. We have just spoken up that Serpa makes a safe product and when used correctly, does not put your finger on the trigger. If your hooking your finger as your draw your firearm, that can happen with ANY holster. The only sentiment I see being repeated here is to train with what you use and thats more important than what brand holster you have.

You posted a video where a guy even said himself, the holster isn't to blame, he is. And then continue to talk about how unsafe these holsters are and everyone should be forewarned. Great we get it, you shared your .02 and now your butt hurt because we don't share the same oppinion. Suck it up and move on.

Trigger Dr

Thanks for the advice everybody. Obviously my opinion is wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I will throw away 17 years of weapons handling and shooting experience (about 300,000rds through pistol just with 5 years in the USMC) under professional instruction and start back at square one with the 4 weapons handling safety rules because of my issue with this one holster. When I noticed my finger doing something with this holster that was potentially very dangerous and didn't happen with any of the 35-40 other holsters I have used, I should have continued to train with it and carry with it even though it made me uncomfortable to do so and even though I had 100 other options in holsters. Next time I am thinking of posting something here that I think, with my obviously very limited experience, may help somebody avoid shooting themselves....I will forget I ever saw it. It is pretty incredible for a bunch of people who want others to accept them in public doing something they don't ever see people doing to be so closed minded to not even consider the POSSIBILITY of what I am saying to exist.

Don't be so defensive. You have an opinion that is not shared with others. Is that bad? NO, just different. There are a few reasons your finger goes where it does. Just to point out a couple...your finger may have a slightly different "design" than others (think slight deformation) you may have trained muscle memory
causing the finger to go there, you may prefer a different holster type (obvious) and use this as an excuse.

With a 30 year career of handling firearms, several years as a firearms instructor, rifle, shotgun, pistol, NRA certified RSO, Hunter Ed instructor, and general know it all, (I just can't remember it all at the same time) I would tend to believe that if there were a "problem" with the serpa, Ralph Nader would have spoken up long before you did.
Your comments are appreciated even though they are not accepted by most here. Continue to make comments. Who knows, maybe the collective body is wrong.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

17 years of weapons training hmm really you are 24, boasting a little to much here? Yeah I think so, many here have years of adult training that exceeds your resume but yeah they are all wrong, right?

You come to the forum touting encounters as the B and I in Tacoma with Armed Security which later proved not to be armed and you speed off instead of calling 911, or drawing on kids playing airsoft and now want to come across as an expert with your first review falling flat, it is as you have never touch a blackhawk holster as stated here many times by several when depressing the release you index finger is laying against the slide when the weapon is removed. Spouting numbers that are clearly indefensible as to AD now 300,000 (avg 1150 per week every week in 5 years) in a pistol in 5 years and I saw pigs fly today.

View attachment 6259

By the way I and I am sure others have considered what you have said and came up with the likelihood there is little value in it.

As I was taught and many others in the Military, when teaching you had better know what you are talking about, and if you quote BS you will be called on it, do your researched and do not make up BS.

Last edited:

waterfowl woody

who knows you could have short stubby fingers and in that case the serpa is not for you. I love how somebody shoots there leg and you all guess on your own skills. OUCH. this is funny. lets see who thinks they are right next

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

The guy admits it wasn't the holsters fault.

When drawing with the Serpa, the finger is along the frame or slide.

You have to really be pressing hard AND moving your finger inside the guard, if you're trying to AD/ND.

I've actually TRIED, with a 92, G21, G17, and M&P in .45 to reproduce these 'faulty holster' arguments, and even TRYING, I couldn't do it without CLEARING the holster first, and intentionally forcing my finger on the trigger.

TechnoWeenie

Lasers make great tools for improving accuracy and point shooting.

They can make an 'OK' shooter, a good shooter, and a good shooter better.

In a close situation, being able to put the red dot on the bad guy and pull the trigger can save lives.

I'm a fan of crimson trace for that reason..

Clearly a marketing video, but shows you the advantages (and disadvantages) of a laser.

[video=youtube;DHCumaFzYvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCumaFzYvc&feature=related[/video]

massivedesign

I have that full vid from CT. It's about 30 minutes long and shows a lot of the advantages of a laser. Pretty well done video actually.

Too bad CT doesn't produce a line for us lefties. I am stuck with options I don't like (rear sight laser hybrid, or permanently mount a laser/light to my rail and find decent IWB/OWB holsters)

amlevin

Lasers make great tools for improving accuracy and point shooting.

They can make an 'OK' shooter, a good shooter, and a good shooter better.

In a close situation, being able to put the red dot on the bad guy and pull the trigger can save lives.

I'm a fan of crimson trace for that reason..

Clearly a marketing video, but shows you the advantages (and disadvantages) of a laser.

[video=youtube;DHCumaFzYvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCumaFzYvc&feature=related[/video]

I have that full vid from CT. It's about 30 minutes long and shows a lot of the advantages of a laser. Pretty well done video actually.

Too bad CT doesn't produce a line for us lefties. I am stuck with options I don't like (rear sight laser hybrid, or permanently mount a laser/light to my rail and find decent IWB/OWB holsters)

Just scratching my head and trying to see what this has to do with the OP's dislike for SERPA's????????????

unknownsailor

Last year, while I was attending Gunsite 250, about 2/3 of the attendees had Serpas for their holster. Every single one of them had the finger lock taped open by TD3.
I have personally seen pistols getting stuck in them, with one requiring the destruction of the holster to release the firearm.
Consequently, they will not be recommended by me for use by anyone, especially when much superior options exist in Kydex.
If you must have retention, get Safariland.

Last edited: