• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This states sub forum is a mess

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

i did NOT know that i could "watch" topics....that helps out ALOT...and a thanks to MOC for working so damn hard on it....with everything going on at your jobs, homes, etc...i wasnt trying to sound impatient...i just didnt realize all of the work required to do such a thing, splitting off from OCDO into a more organized, user friendly forum has to take quite a bit of work.

:celebrate

anetsprungen

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA
imported post

Folks,

Who among you have actually started and maintained a bulletin board or forum? It is not as easy as it appears.

It can be virtually impossible for one person, a challenge for two, difficult for three. However, the more moderators, the easier it 'can' get, especially if each person manages a specific topic area or sub-forum. Otherwise, they get in each other's way.

Long before the World Wide Web came along, I was on the Internet with a 300 baud modem in 1985. I've seen them come and go. Some forums simply grow too fast.

For those of you interested, MOC is also on Facebook as of this last weekend. John & Mike are working to improve communications, but they also have other interests that require their personal attention.

I, personally, spent every available minute for a week searching the Michigan state area before ever posting anything, to see if a topic had already been discussed. I continue to search first, then post. As someone else posted, many newbies jump in with a new question without searching for answers first. It appears to be human nature because I have seen this same phenomenon on all public forums. Newbies are impatient and ask first.

Roy
:cool:
"Open Carry when I can, Concealed Carry when I must!"

scot623

imported post

I understand your point. I would counter that this isn't a forum about Mustangs or Camaros. If we jump down the neck of every "newbie" for not using proper forum etiquette, I fear we would not be a very welcoming group. Any on topic OC question is a good question in my opinion. A quick response from a veteran here posting a link to the proper thread would be the right thing to do. I don't think we should be reading the riot act on using the search function to a possible ally in our cause. JMO.

G

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I understand your point. I would counter that this isn't a forum about Mustangs or Camaros. If we jump down the neck of every "newbie" for not using proper forum etiquette, I fear we would not be a very welcoming group. Any on topic OC question is a good question in my opinion. A quick response from a veteran here posting a link to the proper thread would be the right thing to do. I don't think we should be reading the riot act on using the search function to a possible ally in our cause. JMO.
Agreed. This isn't arfcom where it's a badge of honor to bash a noob for asking a question that was asked last week.

If it bothers you, don't respond. Let someone else help instead.

Oftentimes the repeated asking of a question will spark new discussion with opinions that hadn't been previously expressed.

This isn't a static subject matter, as scot623 has pointed out. It is a dynamic one that can change with public opinion and legislation.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
scot623 wrote:
Agreed. This isn't arfcom where it's a badge of honor to bash a noob for asking a question that was asked last week.

If it bothers you, don't respond. Let someone else help instead.

Oftentimes the repeated asking of a question will spark new discussion with opinions that hadn't been previously expressed.

This isn't a static subject matter, as scot623 has pointed out. It is a dynamic one that can change with public opinion and legislation.
+1

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

anetsprungen wrote:
...It can be virtually impossible for one person, a challenge for two, difficult for three. However, the more moderators, the easier it 'can' get, especially if each person manages a specific topic area or sub-forum...

...John & Mike are working to improve communications, but they also have other interests that require their personal attention...
...I have heard, and its only hearsay, but the word is that they have in the past been reluctant to delegate any moderation powers... This may be different now, or may have never happened at all.

But I agree that, especially on a forum with 50 subforums for states, that more moderators, from the individual states, would be an awesome idea.

Also, I like the idea of subforums for Michigan, if we can get some mods to make it easier on Mike and jpierce.

...I'd be OK with another forum as well, although, keeping the cause unified is still important.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
...I have heard, and its only hearsay, but the word is that they have in the past been reluctant to delegate any moderation powers... This may be different now, or may have never happened at all. Thiswas due to Mod(s) who would get involved in somewhat heated debates and lock threads when the discussion didn't fit their world view.

But I agree that, especially on a forum with 50 subforums for states, that more moderators, from the individual states, would be an awesome idea. Agreed.

Also, I like the idea of subforums for Michigan, if we can get some mods to make it easier on Mike and jpierce. One Mod for each state would work, but unfortuately, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

...I'd be OK with another forum as well, although, keeping the cause unified is still important.

Michigander

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
One Mod for each state would work, but unfortuately, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.
I personally don't consider the ability to move threads between 2 or 3 different sub forums to be much of a moderating ability, which is why I think it's a reasonable thing to ask to be given to 2 or 3 people in Michigan, that is if the sub forum thing was done.

FatboyCykes

imported post

anetsprungen wrote:
Folks,

Who among you have actually started and maintained a bulletin board or forum? It is not as easy as it appears.

It can be virtually impossible for one person, a challenge for two, difficult for three. However, the more moderators, the easier it 'can' get, especially if each person manages a specific topic area or sub-forum. Otherwise, they get in each other's way.

Long before the World Wide Web came along, I was on the Internet with a 300 baud modem in 1985. I've seen them come and go. Some forums simply grow too fast.

For those of you interested, MOC is also on Facebook as of this last weekend. John & Mike are working to improve communications, but they also have other interests that require their personal attention.

I, personally, spent every available minute for a week searching the Michigan state area before ever posting anything, to see if a topic had already been discussed. I continue to search first, then post. As someone else posted, many newbies jump in with a new question without searching for answers first. It appears to be human nature because I have seen this same phenomenon on all public forums. Newbies are impatient and ask first.

Roy
:cool:
"Open Carry when I can, Concealed Carry when I must!"

Seriously, not that hard. I have been Mod and Admin at several sites, still am on some. It's not that difficult, hell, I'll go set one up now.

FatboyCykes

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
great!...now if only everyone would migrate
No, no, no, no, I simply put it up there to show how easy it is to start one, maintenanceis fairly easy as well, at least from my experience. Groups can be set up, such as mods, admin, president, deputy's coordinators, members, charter members or whatever, and each group can be given permissions/limitations. One of the coolest things is the calendar, nothing special, but you can make is so only certain groups can change it and people can click on it daily or whenever they want to see what's going on.

EC beat me to the punch, he's quick like that, but I've pretty much got it on lockdown so there is no posting :p Plus I think the MOC image in the upper corner is a copyright thing, so it'll be shut down soon, just making a point, it's quick and not that hard. That's what she said.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
American Boy With a Gun wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
great!...now if only everyone would migrate
No, no, no, no, I simply put it up there to show how easy it is to start one, maintenanceis fairly easy as well, at least from my experience. Groups can be set up, such as mods, admin, president, deputy's coordinators, members, charter members or whatever, and each group can be given permissions/limitations. One of the coolest things is the calendar, nothing special, but you can make is so only certain groups can change it and people can click on it daily or whenever they want to see what's going on.

EC beat me to the punch, he's quick like that, but I've pretty much got it on lockdown so there is no posting :p Plus I think the MOC image in the upper corner is a copyright thing, so it'll be shut down soon, just making a point, it's quick and not that hard. That's what she said.
i wasnt referring to the one you made!...lol...i was simply making a VERY badly worded observation about how so many people here will find the movement from OCDO to a MOC forum complicated and confusing....i wasnt saying everyone go to that site lol...although i think the basic layout is pretty cool...my bad...should have clarified....sorry...ive had a long day and im tired as hell