• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whatcom County OC

ARADCOM

Recent OC

All the usual places (Fred Meyer, Haggens, The Market, Costcutter, Goat Mtn Pizza, Pickford Cinema, Washington Federal, The Hitting Zone, Pro Golf Discount, Mt. Baker Lanes, el Agave, ...) plus Quizno's in Barkley Village. A pretty good prime rib sandwich at a reasonable ($5.69?) price and no issues with OC.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I caught the B'ham city council meeting on ch10 this week. One individual made a very snarky comment about carrying a loaded weapon in the park, equating it with "riding naked on a bicycle". He appeared to be referring to the illegal action of the "naked bike ride".

Carrying a weapon is legal, loaded or not. Riding a bicycle, naked, thru the streets is not. Excuse me councilman, what is the correlation??
One is legal, one is not.

sudden valley gunner

I wonder if it was the same idiot that said if they allowed open carry people would be squirrel hunting in Elizabeth park.

Guess it doesn't take much common sense to work for the city.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Squirrel hunting is not illegal if you use a video cam and recorder :)

Hmmmmmmm.........if I had a copy of that video I'd play that and then make another along your line of though.....;)
A certain amount of such "squirrel" hunting is done out and about in Va - it always makes interesting viewing :)

Peter Nap is our resident expert in such procedures.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Out and about on my daily parade. No worries anywhere in B'ham.
I was walking the dogs thru Bloedel Donovan and all the usual families were about. I passed a group at the playground and a few minutes later a gentleman approached me with his children in tow. "Thanks for Open Carrying, do you have any trouble around here, I'm concealing." says he. Well the conversation ensued, we talked for a while and parted.
Everything else was very very quiet.

sudden valley gunner

Out and about on my daily parade. No worries anywhere in B'ham.
I was walking the dogs thru Bloedel Donovan and all the usual families were about. I passed a group at the playground and a few minutes later a gentleman approached me with his children in tow. "Thanks for Open Carrying, do you have any trouble around here, I'm concealing." says he. Well the conversation ensued, we talked for a while and parted.
Everything else was very very quiet.

+1

Met a guy at the jobsite today who might come to a Sunday meeting, conceals so far had personal concerns about OC. Which I hoped I adressed.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I stopped by the Bellingham PeeDee this morning with my newly turned twenty-one Son. He was applying for his first CPL and I was watching him get fingerprinted for the first time since he was three.
A LEO approached me and, in a very friendly manner asked about my weapon. He asked about feel, how it shot, maintenance and some other things. Very friendly conversation. As a matter of fact everyone there was very friendly doing their jobs with smiles on their faces and songs in their hearts. It was wonderful.

Oh, in and out in thirty-six minutes.

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Told I couldn't have gun because they were serving alcohol

Went to the Pickford Cinema last night to see the movie 'Hey Bartender'. They had a reception prior to the movie and were serving free cocktails (hosted by 'The Real McCoy', a cool little bar on Prospect St). My friend and I served ourselves some of the complimentary 'Gin Punch' waited in line for perhaps 20 minutes to get a cocktail and although it was quite crowded (I think the free drinks made it a pretty popular movie) there were no issues with my OC'ing.

After we got our cocktails (me a 'Moscow Mule', her a 'Rita Hayworth') we joined the main crowd to sip our drinks before the movie started. After about 10 minutes I was approached by a theater employee who informed me her Manager said I couldn't have my gun in there because they were serving drinks. I explained to her the law concerning a posted 21 and over space and that the reception was no different than a normal day at the Pickford which serves beer and wine as part of their concessions. She told me they had to get a special Banquet License to serve the cocktails and asked me if that made a difference. I told her no, as long as kids were permitted in the lobby I was all legal. She left to speak to her Manager and never returned.

We finished our drinks and went in to see the movie, which was pretty good, with no further issues.

This was the first time I've ever been challenged about OC'ing, and I have to admit I was nervous while I was speaking to her and explaining the law. I asked my friend later in the evening how I had handled it and she thought I did a good job of staying calm and clearly explaining the law. And commented that since the employee didn't return I must have convinced her that all was well.

So, a nice evening, a nice movie, and a nice free cocktail, all while OC'ng in a crowded theater. And nothing bad happened! ;-)

standup

I think you handled it well.

This brings up something that i have learned about the employee encounters.

Very rarely is this person informed of the law or the policy of the location.

They usually are approaching you over a very specific issue that isn't comprehensive.

So i now ALWAYS READ THE SITUATION AND DON'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS.

In your case you addressed the specific issue at hand and it was dropped. Good job.

Had you, like i have by mistake, said that you wanted to know the policy, then you might force management to enforce, post, create or change said policy.

Not to say that asking for a policy clarification isn't also appropriate at times.

Again reading the situation is important.

I was at The Market the other day. It was real quiet. Ten, eleven employees and a few other shoppers besides me. After a few passes a male employee asks me, " is that a real gun?"

I just looked him in the eye, smiled while nodding and said, "Yes."

He turned and walked away. I couldn't tell really what he thought besides that he was compelled to ask.

My point i guess, is that being oc, you get to be, have to be, the coolest one in the room. Determine if the situation is defending your life, the lives of other citizens, liberty, the rule of law, or merely explaining the law, or simply being friendly to the curious. By being good citizens, kind helpful people, then others will see that as an example to emulate. At work, at home and hell at the movies with a beer!

Liberty is never boring.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So, a nice evening, a nice movie, and a nice free cocktail, all while OC'ng in a crowded theater. And nothing bad happened! ;-)

Good job. A great deal of people think they know the law because of what they have "heard". As Standup points out, it is better to explain what IS the law, rather than what the "policy" is.

part one-By being good citizens, kind helpful people, then others will see that as an example to emulate. At work, at home and hell at the movies with a beer!

part two-Liberty is never boring.

Part one-Yes, This is Truth!
Part two- This is a fact of enjoyable life.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Whatcom County Open Carry will be visible at the Constitution Rally on 6 JULY in B'ham across from the Grocery Outlet. We will have the info table set up and, as usual, we are looking for volunteers.

We will also be at the Bellingham Pride Festival on the 14th of July and the Lynden Gun show on 29 July. Come on down/up/over and see us.

sudden valley gunner

I'll be there.
MSG, pm me if you need me at a specific time. Otherwise, I'll just show up.

+1

Dan and others are also thinking it would be fun to make this almost a tailgate affair, bring your truck and cooler (no alcohol, there may be a beer garden, and because of state law no arms allowed) have fun.

Speakers will be around 230, the event will start around 12-1230.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Constitution Rally

The Constitution Rally at Odonnalds Flea Market. That is the place across the street from the Grocery Outlet (another 2A friendly place).
Whatcom County OCDO will have an info table there today. The event will go from noon to about seven. Come by and see us.

The rally went fairly well. We had quite a few open carriers there. One interested individual was so enamored of open carry he went home and got his own weapon. He returned with a nice looking Vaquero in a cowboy rig.
Thanks to all who participated. SVG...Tom...Andy...Doc were there and looking good. SVG took the podium for a while and was well received.

Next up will be the Picnic next saturday and the B'ham Pride festival on sunday............Be there!!

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
B'ham has been quiet.
On todays daily parade I encountered two of BPDs finest entering the park parking lot as I entered walking my dogs. They did not interact with me even tho they saw me. As they walked thru the park, they stopped and spoke to people. Real Community policing. Nice to see them in positive interactions. As I walked over to the boat ramps, I was met by a County Sheriff. Minor interaction, very friendly, no worries. All in all, two very incident/non-incident.

Last edited: