• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison PD detains and cites OCers tonight.

protias

Michigan is a bad example because a non-resident can open carry there. Citing Michigan statutes 28.422. 28.432, and 750.234d I'm legal to Open Carry with my non-resident Utah CCW license. It also looks like I could Open Carry in:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

I don't think you can because your handgun is not registered anywhere.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?68612-Non-resident-Carry

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?64396-Non-resident-Permits

Canard

The increasing trend of states - Colorado, Florida, Michigan as examples - to not recognize non-resident permits issued by other states feeds directly into the anti's goal of limiting American citizens' right to self defense.

I do know that Florida does recognize some other state's permits but require that you are a resident of the state that has the receprocity agreement with FL. It seems this was enacted originally to help push other states to adopt some sort of permit to carry system. Unfortunately this has become outdated since the progressions of the constitutional carry states (AZ AK NH) beyond the once progressive state of FL (with respect to 2a). It doesn't totally leave anyone out in the cold since they do issue non-resident permits directly (I have family in FL).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

If for example a Wisconsin resident had a Florida permit he COULD CARRY OPEN, but not concealed under the Michigan law. Michigan only recognizes a CPL permit from the home state of the person for concealed carry. It does count for possession in Michigan and for Open carry.

protias

If for example a Wisconsin resident had a Florida permit he COULD CARRY OPEN, but not concealed under the Michigan law. Michigan only recognizes a CPL permit from the home state of the person for concealed carry. It does count for possession in Michigan and for Open carry.
You guys have some crazy laws.

oak1971

That's one reason among many that permits suck, no two are the same. It should be, carry whatever you want, whenever you want, and however you want. No need to exclude criminals as they don't follow the law anyway, that's why we call them criminals.

Last edited:

protias

That's one reason among many that permits suck, no two are the same. It should be, carry whatever you want, whenever you want, and however you want. No need to exclude criminals as they don't follow the law anyway, that's why we call them criminals.
Crazy idea I know, but how about getting rid of the tax and allow people to protect themselves, no matter what state you are in? ;)

Last edited:

MKEgal

i dont understand getting both UT and FLA non resident permits!

I have PA, too.
Got it first 'cause it was cheapest & easiest, then Utah, and finally FL 'cause it covers the state where my Mom lives, but none of the others do. With the combination, I get most of the country... not that I've been able to travel much recently. ::sigh::

ETA: How's this for a difference: PA & UT didn't blink an eye at the hullabaloo in Brookfield, but FL is requiring documentation of the "disposition of charges" & that ALL my civil rights have been "restored" (as if I were a felon). They're getting a copy of the DA's letter refusing to press charges & pointing out that what I did was NOT criminal.

Last edited:

JerryD

Florida's permit is easy to obtain the training requirements are easily taken care of. (prior military, hunter education to name a few).

I think the main thing to remember about Florida's permit app is that you must be fingerprinted by law enforcement personnel.

TyGuy

The main thing to me about the FL permit is the cost. It's just too darn expensive to get and renew.

BROKENSPROKET

one year anniversary of the stop was really the 18th!

Thanks for the necropost.(tanx 4 dat 1 MKEgal) I saw the date and misread the year and thought, the is no way in hell madison PD would be stoopid enuff to it again.

When Doug was the last one to post before you just did, ya know it was awhile ago.