• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The very first time, for me at Mason Meijer

Ok, not my first time OCing there. I've been doing that for over a year. But today was the first time I got stopped by the greeter. He asked, "What's up the the pistol?" Playing dumb, (not a hard trick for me. ;) ) I'm like, "What do you mean?" He says wait here a moment, and I presume he goes to call management. After a few moments he comes back and asks, "Do you have a concealed license?" To which I said, "yes." He says, "Well, you're supposed to keep it concealed." To which I reply, "Michigan is an open carry state." The conversation continued, to which I pointed out, I have been coming to that store for over a year, Open carrying most of the time, except in winter when my coat covers my weapon. And today was the first day any store employee had questioned my right to Open carry.

I think I took him a little by surprise. He eventually said, "ok, go ahead." I'm not sure I convinced him. But I did see him conversing with a State cop later, as I was checking out, I think he knew the guy. In any event, the state cop never approached me, and as I left, the greeter said the usual "thank you for shopping Mason Meijer, have a nice day." And I did my usual "Thank you." on my way out the door.

In any event, a DIFFERENT experience than I've had at any Meijer.

PDinDetroit

Ok, not my first time OCing there. I've been doing that for over a year. But today was the first time I got stopped by the greeter. He asked, "What's up the the pistol?" Playing dumb, (not a hard trick for me. ;) ) I'm like, "What do you mean?" He says wait here a moment, and I presume he goes to call management. After a few moments he comes back and asks, "Do you have a concealed license?" To which I said, "yes." He says, "Well, you're supposed to keep it concealed." To which I reply, "Michigan is an open carry state." The conversation continued, to which I pointed out, I have been coming to that store for over a year, Open carrying most of the time, except in winter when my coat covers my weapon. And today was the first day any store employee had questioned my right to Open carry.

I think I took him a little by surprise. He eventually said, "ok, go ahead." I'm not sure I convinced him. But I did see him conversing with a State cop later, as I was checking out, I think he knew the guy. In any event, the state cop never approached me, and as I left, the greeter said the usual "thank you for shopping Mason Meijer, have a nice day." And I did my usual "Thank you." on my way out the door.

In any event, a DIFFERENT experience than I've had at any Meijer.

I find it interesting that a Store Employee usually thinks they know more than the person carrying the firearm. :banghead:

DanM

I find it interesting that a Store Employee usually thinks they know more than the person carrying the firearm. :banghead:

There is a curious thing about intelligence and wisdom. The more you have, the more you realize how much you lack. As folks slide down the scale of intelligence and wisdom, perversely their "knowledge" of the "right answer" and their self-confidence that they can't be wrong goes up. Not usually being the sharpest tacks in the box in my experience, it is no surprise this door-greeter fancied himself a legal whiz-kid on firearms law. :)

FerretMI

La Veen's Hallmark on Lake Michigan Drive in Standale, which also serves as a USPS location, is open carry friendly. I asked the owner, and he said that it is technically not a post office and that he doesn't mind me open carrying there. As I had just met him, I assume he wouldn't have a problem with anyone open carrying. So if you're nearby and need a place to mail things, there's that. It's also on recording, as I've been leaving my recorder on every time I go out. Gonna isolate and save it tonight.

Been open carrying many places in the routine: Meijer, walks, etc. No issues.

The address of the Hallmark is :

4030 Lake Michigan Dr NW # A
Grand Rapids, MI 49534-4561
(616) 453-6365

Last edited:

Scooter

Sunday stopped at Walmart in Saline on the way home from the Irish Hills area. Since I went to church earlier that day and used my ankle holster to CC (I CC with permission) I walked into Walmart in shorts,t-shirt and ankle holster. I have never OCed with the ankle holster. I walked in with my 6 year old son, then realized I had walked past the carts in the entrance area and walked back to get one. The greeter noticed the ankle holster right away. As I began to walk into the store he approached and asked "Sir, are you carrying a firearm?" I thought of a bunch of silly answers I could have given but just answered "Yes sir, I am." The funny thing is he asked again " So,...you are carrying a firearm right now..?" "Yes sir, I am." "Oh,....I don't think that's allowed here.." "Well, Open Carry is legal in Michigan and Walmart's corporate policy if to follow state law. I also have a CPL through the state so I am OK to carry here." "Oh, I don't think they want anyone to carry like that in here anyway...I'm gonna talk to someone about this.." "Go ahead, we will be over by the restrooms, my son has to use it.." We headed over to the restrooms and he followed behind and stopped to talk to the head cashier lady. He was talking quite loud and must have said the word "firearm" 10 times while gesturing toward me as he talked. The lady looked in my direction once and seemed unfazed. He returned to his post. My son was done so we headed off to shop. I walked past the lady but she made no effort to talk with me so I figured everything was fine. We grabbed a few things and got in line. The line was pretty slow. As we waited I noticed a manager type lady walk by our checkout and then double back looking down near the floor then around behind the line. One of the "cart jockey" guys was with her. He stopped for a few seconds behind our line and took a hard look for the ankle holster then left. That was all as we checked out, nobody said anything. No real issues.
(the cart jockey kid had one of those knit beenie type hats on, it's was at least 90 degrees out! how can someone do that?!)

qqq1

(the cart jockey kid had one of those knit beenie type hats on, it's was at least 90 degrees out! how can someone do that?!)

My personal experience is anyone with a hat like that is stoned most of the time. Might not notice the heat.

OC'd around the courtyard of my apartment while doing laundry. Kids didn't run screaming from the pool. It was too hot to leave the pool even if they were scared for their lives.

Last edited:

dukenukum

Open Carried at Kroger's on Holmes rd, no problem until I was walking out to My truck and this old guy sees my gun. He starts yelling at me and scolding me threatening to use a buggy whip on me saying it's not legal he knows because he is a NRA member and I am ruining the second amendment because it's not about carrying a gun everywhere. Didn't want escalate things so I got in the truck and left. Stopped at family dollar no one said a thing.

Outdoorsman

Open Carried at Kroger's on Holmes rd, no problem until I was walking out to My truck and this old guy sees my gun. He starts yelling at me and scolding me threatening to use a buggy whip on me saying it's not legal he knows because he is a NRA member and I am ruining the second amendment because it's not about carrying a gun everywhere. Didn't want escalate things so I got in the truck and left. Stopped at family dollar no one said a thing.

The second amendment isn't about carrying a gun to protect yourself...hmmmmm? Maybe I need to be re-educated on the whole issue! It's good thing he was there to inform you of the laws. I probably would have apologized and thrown my gun away in the nearest garbage can and then begged his forgiveness.

Great job not confronting him. It's good to educate, but not when they're irate!

PDinDetroit

Could have called the police on this bozo - talk about Illegal. Disorderly Conduct, Disturbing the Peace, and Threats of Physical Violence all come to mind...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Drat, why can't I ever find those guys. :)

Robbiex11b

Drat, why can't I ever find those guys. :)

Agreed.

So, today went out to do some shopping at Target in Commerce. I have been open carrying for almost two years now with no issues. While inside the store (Target) I was looking for shaving cream and was approached by the department manager. He was followed by 4 other employees that left once he started his communication.

The department manager (nervoustly) stated that he had been told by a few customers that I was carrying a firearm. I at this point canted towards him so he could see for himself and politly stated that I was indeed carrying a holstered pistol. At this point, he stated that the store policy is that there are no firearms allowed in the store and that he is requesting that I put the weapon in my vehicle.

I politly stated that I would remove the firearm from the store but I would not be returning to purchace the items I had in my cart. I let him know that I will not be returning to their store until they change their policy to allow open carry. I returned the few items I had in my cart and left the store. I will not be shopping there anymore.

And then I went to Costco in Commerce Township....

Can't believe this but the exact same thing happened there. After five minutes of shopping the electronics (looking at cameras) I was approached by three of the store employees. The manager stated that their policy does not allow firearms inside the store. I politly stated that I would remove the firearm from the store but I would not be coming back to shop until their policy changes..

I have never had an issue with any store until today. Just my luck it would happen more than once.. I feel like writing a letter to their corprate offices letting them know I wont be returning because of this policy.

Rx ( Lulu's Cony Isliand Commerce is OC friendly and has a superb ruben!!)

Last edited: