• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's NRA Mega Weekend

anetsprungen

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA
imported post

I guess I should have asked how early ya'll would be arriving/setting up on Saturday.

I was there when they opened at 8 AM. Wandered around for most of an hour, bought some ammo and was gone by 9 AM, when I didn't see anything resembling MOC representation.

Sorry I missed the folks who did show up. I will try to coordinate better next time.

I'm an early riser, usually up and about by 4 AM.

Roy
:cool:

autosurgeon

imported post

Since no one had committed to be there today as of yesterday and none of use that were there yesterday were able to be there today your guess is as good as mine.

That said if we had a SE Coordinator likely someone could have brought the banners and such. HINT HINT someone needs to step up from over that way and take that on!

I was doing good to do all day Saturday as it is a 5 hr round trip and I was there 11 hrs or so. As far as John he has to work.

mikestilly

imported post

Are you telling me that out of this list of people it couldn't be coordinated to have 1 person at Cabelas?

President: John Roshek
Vice President: Jeff Sayers
Treasurer: Jessica Roshek
Secretary: Nathan Nephew
Sergeant at Arms-non-voting: Steven Hill
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING: Christina R Florence
DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: Nathan Nephew
Deputy Director: Shaun Crawford
EVENTS COORDINATOR: Randall D Graham
South-West Region: Ryan Ransom
North-West Region: Scott Siefertt

autosurgeon

imported post

I was trying to post them from my Mothers home however her internet connection is not so good so I was having problems and I gave up.

Here they are.

P1010524.jpg

P1010507.jpg

P1010486.jpg

P1010495.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010476.jpg

P1010471.jpg

P1010466.jpg

P1010467.jpg

P1010430.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010420.jpg

P1010427.jpg

P1010426.jpg

P1010407.jpg

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Are you telling me that out of this list of people it couldn't be coordinated to have 1 person at Cabelas?

Hmmm Mike that is rather rude considering that several of us on that list have a between a 2.5 and 7 hr drive to get there. Not to mention that myself, John, Jessica and Jeff were all there on Saturday and several of them ran another event in the morning.

It happens to be 5 hrs round trip for me and since I have worked both NRA weekends on Saturday you can cry to someone else about it.

I am sorry but there are some of you that are just going to have to realize that we will never be able to do everything that everyone wants.

If those of you that were there yesterday would have told us that you were planning to be back Sunday before you left we would have made arrangements for materials to be available.

At 8:30 PM or so when John, Jessica, Ervin and myself cleaned up we discussed the fact that no one had mentioned whether they were coming Sunday. Since no one had committed online either the decision was made to pack everything up as we would have to make a special trip back for it if no one came on Sunday that could bring it back. Also there is always the possibility of theft if things get left lying around with no one watching them.

WARCHILD

imported post

Sorry Mike but I have to disagree on this one.

I speak for no one but myself. Had I the finances, I would have came back for Sunday. Unfortunately @ $2.86 gal. , it costs me $40.00 per rnd trip and a 4hr drive. Sorry but I just can't do it. There are other members in the same boat.

Remember, we are all volunteers and should appreciate ANYTHING that ANYONE does. As an example of events in the past; we have had small turnouts when multiple events are scheduled at the same time.

Brian and I have had events where 5 or less members showed up. (Even at the dog show in the rain!) It did not detract from our ability to talk to people and "get the word out".
I feel we made our presence known at both events this weekend and should be glad for the exposure the groups made.

JMO

autosurgeon

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Sorry Mike but I have to disagree on this one.

I speak for no one but myself. Had I the finances, I would have came back for Sunday. Unfortunately @ $2.86 gal. , it costs me $40.00 per rnd trip and a 4hr drive. Sorry but I just can't do it. There are other members in the same boat.

Remember, we are all volunteers and should appreciate ANYTHING that ANYONE does. As an example of events in the past; we have had small turnouts when multiple events are scheduled at the same time.

Brian and I have had events where 5 or less members showed up. (Even at the dog show in the rain!) It did not detract from our ability to talk to people and "get the word out".
I feel we made our presence known at both events this weekend and should be glad for the exposure the groups made. 

JMO

I agree! I have worked events by myself and still handed out a ton of trifolds and educated a large number of people!

Everyone must do what they are able to and we will be just fine!

mikestilly

imported post

Please understand what I'm trying to say. It's not a matter of being rude. The event was posted for 3 days. If there was a coverage problem then:

A.) Someone on the board of MOC should have either worked to find people to show up or

B.) They should have updated the thread in advance to make sure there is no confusion.

I feel it's extremely rude and unprofessional to advertise an event for 3 days and nobody is there for the 3rd day. What if I drove over hour drive down there to find out nobody decided to show up??? I would have been extremely pissed.

It is UNPROFESSIONAL to advertise an event for a specific number of days and NOBODY is there today. I'm not blaming anyone by name on here that they didnt show up. This is something a responsible board should have handled in advance!!!!!

Some of you need to realize the board we pay our dues should be held accountable. There is no excuse for this kind of stuff.

autosurgeon

imported post

Mike these are volunteer staffed events. In this case anyone at the event that was planning to be there Sunday could have told us.

And as for active recruiting that is a laugh how are we supposed to do that? Other than what we already do which is post a thread and let people sign up.

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Mike these are volunteer staffed events. In this case anyone at the event that was planning to be there Sunday could have told us.

And as for active recruiting that is a laugh how are we supposed to do that? Other than what we already do which is post a thread and let people sign up.

excuses, excuses. You sound like Obama. Bush left me this, Bush left me that, I have to get out of the mess Bush left us in.

I know it's a volunteer staff. I'm one of them! It was another dropped ball. I'm calling foul!

*I know how volunteer events are staffed. I see how a campaign does it daily. If they say they're going to be there they make sure the table is manned. They don't just not show up to an event and hope nobody notices. Things are planned in advance and it doesnt matter how many volunteers you have. If you cant get people to commit to volunteering for a specific day you modify the event in advance so people know. I'm sorry but excuses don't cut it.

autosurgeon

imported post

would you like some cheese with that wine?

I am glad to know Mike that we have a perfect person among us. But why not focus on the positives and stop with the constant complaining about everything OK?

Oh and don't compare me to Obama again clear?:cuss:

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
would you like some cheese with that wine?

I am glad to know Mike that we have a perfect person among us. But why not focus on the positives and stop with the constant complaining about everything OK?

Oh and don't compare me to Obama again clear?:cuss:

You can attack me all you want I can take it.

mikestilly

imported post

I reiterate this. If I drove down there the SWHTF.

mikestilly wrote:

Please understand what I'm trying to say. It's not a matter of being rude. The event was posted for 3 days. If there was a coverage problem then:

A.) Someone on the board of MOC should have either worked to find people to show up or

B.) They should have updated the thread in advance to make sure there is no confusion.

I feel it's extremely rude and unprofessional to advertise an event for 3 days and nobody is there for the 3rd day. What if I drove over hour drive down there to find out nobody decided to show up??? I would have been extremely pissed.

It is UNPROFESSIONAL to advertise an event for a specific number of days and NOBODY is there today. I'm not blaming anyone by name on here that they didnt show up. This is something a responsible board should have handled in advance!!!!!

Some of you need to realize the board we pay our dues should be held accountable. There is no excuse for this kind of stuff.

autosurgeon

imported post

Ok one last point on this topic. You say you are not naming anyone but yet you post a list of us and then say you are not calling us out:banghead: Yeah that makes sense :uhoh:

Finally there have been events in the past where people have been scheduled for each day and then with no notice on one of the days no one shows up... guess what it happens and complaining about it after the fact does NO good.

Another point semi related is we need to do a better job as an entire group to not schedule events on the same day in close proximity to each other as well. But you know this is a problem I am happy to have as last year the events were few and far between in comparison.

G

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
mikestilly wrote:

Hmmm Mike that is rather rude considering that several of us on that list have a between a 2.5 and 7 hr drive to get there. Not to mention that myself, John, Jessica and Jeff were all there on Saturday and several of them ran another event in the morning.

It happens to be 5 hrs round trip for me and since I have worked both NRA weekends on Saturday you can cry to someone else about it.

I am sorry but there are some of you that are just going to have to realize that we will never be able to do everything that everyone wants.

If those of you that were there yesterday would have told us that you were planning to be back Sunday before you left we would have made arrangements for materials to be available.

At 8:30 PM or so when John, Jessica, Ervin and myself cleaned up we discussed the fact that no one had mentioned whether they were coming Sunday. Since no one had committed online either the decision was made to pack everything up as we would have to make a special trip back for it if no one came on Sunday that could bring it back. Also there is always the possibility of theft if things get left lying around with no one watching them.
I have to also agree with autosurgeon on this one.

For one thing, how is the leadership of MOC going to know what to do in planing and scheduling for an event of this magnitude if the members don't tell the leaders what to do. Afterall, no one from the membership bothered to inform the leadership, as indicated above by autosurgeon, that someone might even show up on Sunday. How are the leaders of MOC to know that there might be people be there for the event on Sunday, if they are not even given the common courtesy of a post here? They aren't mind readers. How are they to know that people might show up on the second day of a two day event?

Secondly, I blame the the NRA and Mike Cox and all the other big wigs for not coming back on Sunday too. After all, without them to be there to swoon over, why should anyone else show up. If they had just shown up on Sunday, the shooters that is, do you think that the leadership of MOC would have bothered to waste resources to be there for no reason on Saturday then? It's not right to expect some to get to hob nob while others don't.

Furthermore, it's not like there was much media coverage. Aside from the WSJ, there was no media visible. Not that media coverage is all that necessary or even advantageous for that matter.