• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community Turns Out to Observe Open Carry Rally in Hastings, Michigan Thursday, July 24

ghostrider

imported post

SkipCoryell wrote:
Since last week I've had dozens of emails and calls. People are asking me to hold another event. I think the next one will be in the Upper Peninsula or in Lansing. Still haven't decided yet.

Stay tuned.

Skip Coryell
http://www.mwtac.com
http://www.skipcoryell.com
Skip,

Don't know if you know who I am, but I received a copy of your "Blood In The Streets" as a door prize at Hastings. Took me about a day and a half to finish the book (had to set aside some time for the family), and found it a good read. Passed it onto another OCDO Michigan member yesterday, and hopefully he'll pass it on when he is done. Just wanted to say thanks for the book and welcome to the board. Hopefully we'll see you at some of the other OCDO meet N' greets.

Bronson

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Per MCRGO FAQ's:

[align=left]One of the places that I cannot carry concealed is, "An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals..." (MCL 28.425o. In a movie theater complex (example 18 screens) is the number of seats the total of each individual room or the total of all rooms combined?

A:
The word "facility" is not defined in the statute. When a word does not have a statutory meaning, the dictionary definition applies. One of the meanings given for "facility" in the American Heritage dictionary is, "Something created to serve a particular function." An entertainment facility is something created to supply entertainment. Therefore, the 2,500 seating capacity rule applies to the entire movie complex and not just one theater within the complex.[/align]

Ahh, I came back today to post that I had found my answer but ya' beat me to it :D

Thanks,

Bronson

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bronson wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Per MCRGO FAQ's:

[align=left]One of the places that I cannot carry concealed is, "An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals..." (MCL 28.425o. In a movie theater complex (example 18 screens) is the number of seats the total of each individual room or the total of all rooms combined?

A:
The word "facility" is not defined in the statute. When a word does not have a statutory meaning, the dictionary definition applies. One of the meanings given for "facility" in the American Heritage dictionary is, "Something created to serve a particular function." An entertainment facility is something created to supply entertainment. Therefore, the 2,500 seating capacity rule applies to the entire movie complex and not just one theater within the complex.[/align]

Ahh, I came back today to post that I had found my answer but ya' beat me to it :D

Thanks,

Bronson
Keep in mind this is MCRGO's opinion. I have talked with the Clinton County PA and he would argue that this law would apply to each individual theater within the larger complex so CC would be allowed in the smaller capacity venues. I then talked with the Ingham County prosecutor and he goes with the MCRGO's spin. So it really would take a court case to determine which is correct. Remember these places are public property and they can ban firearms.

UpNorth

imported post

Venator wrote:
SkipCoryell wrote:
Since last week I've had dozens of emails and calls. People are asking me to hold another event. I think the next one will be in the Upper Peninsula or in Lansing. Still haven't decided yet.

Stay tuned.

Skip Coryell

You can tell them about the event in Warren August 16th at Veterans Memorial Park, or the meeting at the charity event hosted by the Flint's Lions club. Michigan OC members will be Manning a booth and donating money to the charity's cause. For information see the threads on this site. As for a Lansing event we had one this spring in downtown during a Run for Cancer Cure event, see thread.

I have carried openly into the capital building and the staff is now aware that OC is legal there. But an open carry event on the Capital grounds might be feasible.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you post on another site, that you OC'd in the Capital buiding, but they were ALREADY aware that OC was leagl, etc??? At what point did you do something to educate them if they already knew?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Some of the "police" knew but as he stated above, now the staff knows too.

It was one of the staff that freaked out. The responding officer also gave him crap before leaving for several minutes before returning and apologizing.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
Bronson wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Per MCRGO FAQ's:

A:

Thanks,

Bronson
Keep in mind this is MCRGO's opinion. I have talked with the Clinton County PA and he would argue that this law would apply to each individual theater within the larger complex so CC would be allowed in the smaller capacity venues. I then talked with the Ingham County prosecutor and he goes with the MCRGO's spin. So it really would take a court case to determine which is correct. Remember these places are public property and they can ban firearms.

I agree that it should only pertain to the area (theater) you're in, but with most, if not all, LEO's who havecheat sheets pertaining to conceal carry gun free zones,the wording I suspect would be the same as MSP:

"An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more",

and that, I believe, is what they (LEO) would enforce.

I would have to agree with MCRGO this one thatthe word "facility" would mean the entire building and not just a portion of it.

Venator

imported post

UpNorth wrote:
Venator wrote:
SkipCoryell wrote:

Stay tuned.

Skip Coryell

You can tell them about the event in Warren August 16th at Veterans Memorial Park, or the meeting at the charity event hosted by the Flint's Lions club. Michigan OC members will be Manning a booth and donating money to the charity's cause. For information see the threads on this site. As for a Lansing event we had one this spring in downtown during a Run for Cancer Cure event, see thread.

I have carried openly into the capital building and the staff is now aware that OC is legal there. But an open carry event on the Capital grounds might be feasible.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you post on another site, that you OC'd in the Capital buiding, but they were ALREADY aware that OC was leagl, etc??? At what point did you do something to educate them if they already knew?
Read it on this other site since you already know what I posted. What screen name do you use on the MGO site, Done Deal?

SkipCoryell

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Skip,

Don't know if you know who I am, but I received a copy of your "Blood In The Streets" as a door prize at Hastings. Took me about a day and a half to finish the book (had to set aside some time for the family), and found it a good read. Passed it onto another OCDO Michigan member yesterday, and hopefully he'll pass it on when he is done. Just wanted to say thanks for the book and welcome to the board. Hopefully we'll see you at some of the other OCDO meet N' greets."

Ghostrider,

Thanks for the compliment. Problem is, now I have to rewrite the chapter titled "Concealed Carry Vs Open Carry" based on recent experiences. It seems my work is never done.

God bless.

Skip

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

SkipCoryell wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. Problem is, now I have to rewrite the chapter titled "Concealed Carry Vs Open Carry" based on recent experiences. It seems my work is never done.

God bless.

Skip

Yes, you do Skip!

At the minimum, it's close-minded, inflammatory and lacks critical thinking and at most, I believe it [that chapter] it is insulting and bigoted toward OC.

With statements such as "Open carry is stupid carry", "There is no advantage to anyone seeing your pistol" and "open carry debate served no useful purpose" you must forgive us if we don't automatically welcome you into our bosom with open arms too quickly.

It will take time for us to trust you. Remember, trust is earned, over time, with actions more than words.

Are you going to try to make it to the Warren get-to-gather?

ghostrider

imported post

After the rally on Thursday, Skip came up to me and told me that the particular chapter in question was written a few years ago, but that he has change his stance on that issue.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

adam40cal wrote:
What just happened? :shock:

Guys ...

I need you to remember what we are trying to accomplish here at OpenCarry.org.

One of our goals is to try and change the opinions of gun owners who see OC as undesirable compared to CC.

In Skip, we have someone who has come a long way in their viewpoint and we want to be appreciative of that, not skeptical.

Doug, I suspect that you were only intending to show that his earlier work reflected opinions that you consider insulting but in doing so, you insulted him personally and didn't recognize his current position.

May I please request that we all apologize to one another and keep open carry moving in Michigan?

John

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SkipCoryell wrote:
... Problem is, now I have to rewrite the chapter titled "Concealed Carry Vs Open Carry" based on recent experiences...
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what changed your mind about OC?

Venator

imported post

jpierce wrote:
adam40cal wrote:
What just happened? :shock:

Guys ...

I need you to remember what we are trying to accomplish here at OpenCarry.org.

One of our goals is to try and change the opinions of gun owners who see OC as undesirable compared to CC.

In Skip, we have someone who has come a long way in their viewpoint and we want to be appreciative of that, not skeptical.

Doug, I suspect that you were only intending to show that his earlier work reflected opinions that you consider insulting but in doing so, you insulted him personally and didn't recognize his current position.

May I please request that we all apologize to one another and keep open carry moving in Michigan?

John

John,

If you read Skip's article,he stated that he believes OC has no tactical advantage. That response raises a red flag to me and some of the posters were questioning that statement which was fair to do. If you post on a forum, that post is subject to reviews and comments, that's what a forum is.

My best,

Brian

SkipCoryell

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Skip,

I'm sorry if I insulted you. I was merely trying to give you some insight into our thoughts.

I didn't know that you would have a problem with that.

Doug
Thanks Doug. I'll try to develop a thicker skin and assume the best from you.

God bless.

Skip

SkipCoryell

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BB62 wrote:
SkipCoryell wrote:
... Problem is, now I have to rewrite the chapter titled "Concealed Carry Vs Open Carry" based on recent experiences...
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what changed your mind about OC?
Thank you for asking. In the past, my whole argument against open carry was that I believed MI wasn't ready for it. Don't get me wrong, I wanted MI to be ready for it. Carrying concealed is a pain in the butt and I've always envied those states where it is common.

Most of the battles us pro-gun people fight center around public perception and public relations. Last week when we paraded through town I saw most people taking pictures of us, smiling and waving. Of course the media found the few who were "scared" and ran with it. But most of the people just had fun with it. It was something they weren't used to seeing and it broke the monotony of their everyday lives.

Since then I've received a hundred or so comments from people about the event and almost all of them were positive. I think a lot of people want to carry, but they just don't have the guts. And that raises another problem. What does it mean when honest, law-abiding citizens are more afraid of the police than they are of criminals?
I'll be writing an article about that soon.

All of this changed my thinking on it. It was truly a "Paul on the road to Damascus" type of experience for me. It opened my eyes to the truth of Open Carry.

I always try to live what I believe. And now I believe that open carry is a positive tool that will change the way the general public perceives guns and gun owners.

Thanks much.

Skip