• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you deal with an anti wife?

The Wolfhound

imported post

It must be terribly sad to go through life in either a crash helmet or Nomex suit continually in fear of those terrible nasty icky gun things. But then I have no need to invite them to the range either. Guns are sometimes necessary and when you need one there is no good substitute. Unlike helmets and coveralls, guns can be fun too. Range day is a family activity. OK, I will wipe the Troll Poo off my shoes now. It was too hard not to step in it.

Uncommon

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
It must be terribly sad to go through life in either a crash helmet or Nomex suit continually in fear of those terrible nasty icky gun things. But then I have no need to invite them to the range either. Guns are sometimes necessary and when you need one there is no good substitute. Unlike helmets and coveralls, guns can be fun too. Range day is a family activity. OK, I will wipe the Troll Poo off my shoes now. It was too hard not to step in it.

Guns = false security blanket.

I could post countless links to show where someone was killed in their own home with their own gun, or killed by intruders & never got to their guns in time, etc. In some cases even under the pillow. A whole lot of good it brought them. The best example: one guy was killed during a home invasion by thieves stealing his GUN COLLECTION! Their entire reason for being there! :lol::lol::lol:

And "Range day is a family activity"? Oh how does that go?

"Now Junior, pay extra close attention. See that human shaped silhouette target down there? I want you to shoot it. Shoot it again & again until that silly, odd feeling inside you goes away. The one that says "thismakes mesad, pretending to kill another person". Because you know something, Junior? Its our 'God-given right' to be able to kill one another! Says so right in the Bible!"

And whats with all the "troll" stuff? Is this how you treat a new member with a different point of view? Wow, for all the acceptance you want from everyone else, you're sure not very accepting of others!

HYPOCRITES!!:cuss:

:lol:

Scrub

imported post

Uncommon wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:

I could post countless links to show where someone was killed in their own home with their own gun, or killed by intruders & never got to their guns in time, etc. In some cases even under the pillow. A whole lot of good it brought them. The best example: one guy was killed during a home invasion by thieves stealing his GUN COLLECTION! Their entire reason for being there! :lol::lol::lol:

"Now Junior, pay extra close attention. See that human shaped silhouette target down there? I want you to shoot it. Shoot it again & again until that silly, odd feeling inside you goes away. The one that says "thismakes mesad, pretending to kill another person". Because you know something, Junior? Its our 'God-given right' to be able to kill one another! Says so right in the Bible!"

And whats with all the "troll" stuff? Is this how you treat a new member with a different point of view? Wow, for all the acceptance you want from everyone else, you're sure not very accepting of others!

Different points of view are always tolerated here. Insulting the seriously considered and well thought out beliefs of the vast majority of the forum members generally isn't.

Therefore, I concur with the call of Shenanigans, and second the motion for a ban.

Edited to add emphasis

ocgso

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Exposure and time!

Mine was the same. One of those tree huggers who said she didn't think she could kill someone who was even trying to kill her.

Mine was the same way. She is now a crack shot who carries her 38 airweight everywhere.

She does not like OC, I don't push the issue. I have at times CC'ed because my wife asked me to. I would rather her carry her gun and be comfortable than to leave it home because she doesn't want to OC.

She recently got back from a5 hour trip, one way, driving by herself. She said when she got home, she felt a lot better traveling by herself knowing it is there.

The only caution that I provide is this. If you ever do talk your spouse into carrying, you need to make sure they practice and that they are prepared. A gun buried in the bottom of her purse that she has zipped up is useless.

When my wife walks into a gas station by herself, her right hand is in her purse and she gets her drink/snack and swipes her debit card with the left. She walks to her car the same way from work (parks in a deck and gets out after dark this time of year). Carrying a gun requires more than just a purchase, it requires preparation.

I am so proud of her :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ocgso

imported post

Uncommon wrote:

First. It is all about training and preperation. Those who are killed by their guns are not prepared for a home invasion. Most of the folks on this site have a plan, have a security system or a guard dog (or both), and are prepared.

Second. Teaching your children about guns at an early age is the way to prevent them from using them improperly. When I was 10 my dad could lay a loaded pistol in the middle of the living room floor and say "don't touch that, I am going to bed". He could dust it for prints when he woke up and it would be clean because my brother and I knew better.

People who don't secure their guns and don't teach their kids about them are the ones who create this mystique around firearms. Kids want to play with them because they don't know any better.

I will agree with your equation, guns=false security blanket on one condition. If you are not prepared or trained, they yes they are a false sense of security. Just like having a home security system that you never arm, a lot of good it does you.

But you are talking to a group that is well trained, prepared, and have thought about and discussed this situation. Consider that before you go stomping on what they believe (and know through experience).

Uncommon

imported post

Scrub wrote:
Different points of view are always tolerated here. Insulting the seriously considered and well thought out beliefs of the vast majority of the forum members generally isn't.

Therefore, I concur with the call of Shenanigans, and second the motion for a ban.

Edited to add emphasis

Let me reiterate:

"Wow, for all the acceptance you want from everyone else, you're sure not very accepting of others!"

You want to force YOUR beliefs everywhere by showing off your pistol in a Walmart, but don't like it done to you? Oh the hypocrisy. :lol:

SMW

imported post

ocgso wrote:
Uncommon wrote:

"Now Junior, pay extra close attention. See that human shaped silhouette target down there? I want you to shoot it. Shoot it again & again until that silly, odd feeling inside you goes away. The one that says "this makes me sad, pretending to kill another person". Because you know something, Junior? Its our 'God-given right' to be able to kill one another! Says so right in the Bible!"

First.  It is all about training and preperation.  Those who are killed by their guns are not prepared for a home invasion.  Most of the folks on this site have a plan, have a security system or a guard dog (or both), and are prepared.

Second.  Teaching your children about guns at an early age is the way to prevent them from using them improperly.  When I was 10 my dad could lay a loaded pistol in the middle of the living room floor and say "don't touch that, I am going to bed".  He could dust it for prints when he woke up and it would be clean because my brother and I knew better.

People who don't secure their guns and don't teach their kids about them are the ones who create this mystique around firearms.  Kids want to play with them because they don't know any better.

I will agree with your equation, guns=false security blanket on one condition.  If you are not prepared or trained, they yes they are a false sense of security.  Just like having a home security system that you never arm, a lot of good it does you.

But you are talking to a group that is well trained, prepared, and have thought about and discussed this situation.  Consider that before you go stomping on what they believe (and know through experience).

Amen! I was brought up knowing that touching my fathers pistol that was always on his nightstand would earn me a huge whooping. I have been versed in gun safety all of my life and I still get the occasional lecture when going shooting or hunting with my step-dads buddies who I haven't hunted with before (I'm 19). I believe that its the parents who leave their kids ignorant to guns are the ones whose children have accidents because they found their dad's gun and decided to play with it.

wylde007

imported post

Uncommon wrote:
You want to force YOUR beliefs everywhere by showing off your pistol in a Walmart, but don't like it done to you? Oh the hypocrisy. :lol:
As much as it goes against every fiber of self-restraint I possess, I am going to respond to you, troll.

Someone else wearing a firearm no more forces their belief on you than if they were to wear a crucifix or yarmulke or carry a sign that says "Meat is murder".

They are not forcing you to do anything. They are not requesting you to do anything. they are exercising a God-given and Constitutionally-recognized right. You seem to have no problem alluding to your disapproval of such activities which, in-and-of itself is an exercise of YOUR 1st Amendment rights.

While I can not even begin to fathom the source of such a deluded notion, it is your right to express it.

What I cannot defend is your use of your own belief (or lack thereof) in attacking, marginalizing, insulting and deprecating other members of this forum. That is why you are being called out as an agitator and a troll.

If you came to this forum solely to express anti-gun sentiment you will not be well-received. If you came here to learn and to try to understand your 2nd Amendment rights and to improve yourself as a citizen and a person, then you will be received with open arms.

You have made your first impression as that of an instigator and an anti. You are not interested in learning, only abusing. And knowing only that much about you, because it is all to which we have been privy, I can only agree that you should be shown the door and not allowed to return.

Uncommon

imported post

ocgso wrote:
But you are talking to a group that is well trained, prepared, and have thought about and discussed this situation. Consider that before you go stomping on what they believe (and know through experience).

No, this is NOT a group that has truly thought it out, otherwise you'd already know you're 4.5 times more to be shot to death while carrying a firearm than not. Reference: American Journal of Public Health; Sept 2009

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

Some other interesting facts: http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/domviofs.htm

Please share the following child+gunstories with YOUR children:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/04/national/main3788009.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/08/national/main4586103.shtml

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/14097780/detail.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-524588/Girl-16-kills-entire-family-row-parents-boyfriend.html

http://www.news-bulletin.com/nb/index.php/news/458-boy-10-shoots-and-kills-father.html

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2005-68714.asp

But this would NEVER happen to any of you, right? Of course not. Obviously, everyone else this happened to clearly did everything wrong, and probably deserved it, right? Of course they did.

VAman49

imported post

Wow…talk about just wanting to be a new member with a different point of view…

I am not the urine-stain with the lifelong inferiority complex who feels he needs to compensate his pre-adolescent small-dickfears buy wearing a gun into a Walmart & bragging online about it.” Yeah that’s a good way to start. And the old small penis insult….that’s a new one….never heard anyone use that one before.

And …”I could post countless links to show where someone was killed in their own home with their own gun, or killed by intruders & never got to their guns in time, etc.[/quote]” That one is so oft-repeated it just sounds so stupid to hear it. I would bet the same could be said about homes with swimming pools…more family members are likely to die by drowning. Or owners of motorcycles are more likely to die in motorcycle crashes…or yada yada yada…pick the example.

If you’re here as a new member wanting to learn and contribute you sure have strange way of going about it. I’d vote for banning you too but it might be better to leave you alone. When I need an example to show my grandkids about tolerance and a genuine desire to learn from others really is….I can point them to your posts for a prime example of how not to behave.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Uncommon wrote:
ocgso wrote:

No, this is NOT a group that has truly thought it out, otherwise you'd already know you're 4.5 times more to be shot to death while carrying a firearm than not. Reference: American Journal of Public Health; Sept 2009

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

Some other interesting facts: http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/domviofs.htm

Please share the following child+gunstories with YOUR children:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/04/national/main3788009.shtml

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/14097780/detail.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-524588/Girl-16-kills-entire-family-row-parents-boyfriend.html

http://www.news-bulletin.com/nb/index.php/news/458-boy-10-shoots-and-kills-father.html

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2005-68714.asp

But this would NEVER happen to any of you, right? Of course not. Obviously, everyone else this happened to clearly did everything wrong, and probably deserved it, right? Of course they did.
Subscribed. Let the flame ware begin! :monkey

Uncommon

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
As much as it goes against every fiber of self-restraint I possess, I am going to respond to you, troll. Thanks. I'm so excited to read the rest.

Someone else wearing a firearm no more forces their belief on you than if they were to wear a crucifix or yarmulke or carry a sign that says "Meat is murder". Ah, so you're not doing it just to exercise some right, but rather to make a political statement, and piss off/scare random Walmart bystanders in the process. Gotcha.

They are not forcing you to do anything. They are not requesting you to do anything. they are exercising a God-given and Constitutionally-recognized right. You seem to have no problem alluding to your disapproval of such activities which, in-and-of itself is an exercise of YOUR 1st Amendment rights. Welp, since you brought Him up... please show theScripture passage that says everyone should arm themselves with weapons of war, and teach their children the ways of war.

While I can not even begin to fathom the source of such a deluded notion, it is your right to express it. So why go calling people "trolls" and suggesting banning them for disagreeing with you? And here you thought you lived in a democracy.... COMMIE!:lol:

What I cannot defend is your use of your own belief (or lack thereof) in attacking, marginalizing, insulting and deprecating other members of this forum. That is why you are being called out as an agitator and a troll. Pot..... kettle, oh my.

If you came to this forum solely to express anti-gun sentiment you will not be well-received. If you came here to learn and to try to understand your 2nd Amendment rights and to improve yourself as a citizen and a person, then you will be received with open arms. I see. So, become just like you all, or else??:shock:

You have made your first impression as that of an instigator and an anti. You are not interested in learning, only abusing. And knowing only that much about you, because it is all to which we have been privy, I can only agree that you should be shown the door and not allowed to return. You got one thing right. I came to stir the pot, & hopefully get SOMEONE to truly think.

But since you're not "privy" to much else about me, I'll share this. I have the unwanted distinction of knowing what its like to learn how to sleep again after ceasing a life with firearms. I'm not political, and don't care to get involved in politics, but my beliefs are conservative.

Lawmaker

imported post

Uncommon I am always up for a good discussion. Please move to the topic that was opened for you. We are trying to keep on topic here.

As for family time at the gun range. If guns are going to be in my home then I want everyone able to wield a firearm to know how to properly use it. Even if it is mandatory training.

wylde007

imported post

Your response justifies my comments and proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

No one on this board is interested in rolling over for the Brady agenda or its particular breed of moral bankruptcy.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Do you believe that the right of human self defense, individually and collectively comes from God? Most of us here do.

Do you believe that the Second Ammendment codifies that right so that all levels of government are prohibited from infringing it? Many here will agree to that as well.

If you disagree with those principal issues, then we have little common ground. You have your right of free speech, but note carefully that nowhere in the constitution does it insure a right to be heard. If your history classes were lacking, that right, though much expanded beyond its original scope,is primarily to allow speech against the government, so that the people may speak against the government without fear of retribution.

If you fear us and our guns, you are within your rights. If you want to challenge the existence of those rights, we will debate you. If you want to move against those rights, we will oppose you. Your rights do not extend beyond your person such that they constrict those of another.

Evil exists in the world and the unarmedmake much easier prey. Most here prefer not to see ourselves that way. :banghead:

Scrub

imported post

Uncommon wrote:
Scrub wrote:

Edited to add emphasis

Let me reiterate:

"Wow, for all the acceptance you want from everyone else, you're sure not very accepting of others!"

I do accept your different point of view and would love to have an in depth debate about it assuming you can dispense with the insults and name calling. I know that I have a hard time looking past that to actually debate some of the valid points you raise, and I would think that others may as well, that's all.

As for debating the facts, I am all for it, because I think you will see our point more clearly if you do open minded research like I did when I made the decision to carry, and we will likely learn something about the other points of view that people have as well, but only if we can keep it civil.

If you want a civil debate/discussion, OK. Iif not, I must stand by my prior statement.

Edit: MODS, feel free to move this to the other thread, or send me instruction on how to do it myself. Thanks

chiefjason

imported post

Assuming Uncommon just read the brief only. How does this stack up? 4.5 times more likely huh. Yeah, OK.

"So the study actually provides no information about whether its purported risks are applicable to the law-abiding population, because it provides no information about how many--if any--of the gun carriers had lawful Right-to-Carry permits. Additionally, according to the study, 53 percent of the shooting victims had prior arrest records. The researchers tried to find controls who also had arrest records, yet the study did not report what the arrests were for or make distinctions among types of arrests.

Obviously, a “control” who had one arrest record for drug possession 10 years ago is no fair match for a “case” who had an arrest record for armed robbery last year, and three prior arrests for assault. The latter person is much more likely to spend time with, and provoke violent confrontations with, other dangerous people.

In fact, illegal gun carriers with prior criminal records are more likely to be involved in violent confrontations than other people. It is possible that they carry illegally possessed guns because they are even more inclined to consort with violent people and get into fights. But that proves nothing about whether gun carrying by the law-abiding who have Right-to-Carry permits is dangerous."

Or this...

"After its release, Kleck wrote a short essay about the Penn study blasting it as “the very epitome of junk science in the guns-and-violence field--poor quality research designed to arrive at an ideologically predetermined conclusion.” Kleck noted the authors had announced guns do not have protective value, yet the authors had not even studied whether a single victim even used a gun defensively.

The Penn article, Kleck wrote, “is merely a reflection of the fact that the same factors that place people at greater risk of becoming assault victims also motivate many people to acquire, and in some cases carry away from home, guns for self-protection . . . For example, being a drug dealer or member of a street gang puts one at much higher risk of being shot, but also makes it far more likely one will acquire a gun for protection.”

Research on people who actually use guns for protection shows the opposite of what Branas and his colleagues claim. Kleck and Jongyeon Tark examined data from the National Crime Victimization Survey, an annual study by the Census Bureau and the Department of Justice that asks individuals if they were crime victims in the last year and, if so, collects information about the circumstances.

Of those who used guns defensively, the Kleck and Tark study found only 2 percent were injured after they used guns. (“Resisting Crime: The Effects of Victim Action on the Outcomes of Crimes.” Criminology, vol. 42, 2005.) These findings were consistent with previous studies of actual defensive gun use, which found such use does not increase the victim’s risk of harm: Gary Kleck, “Crime Control Through the Private Use of Armed Force,” Social Problems, 1988; Gary Kleck & Miriam A. Delone, “Victim Resistance and Offender Weapon Effects in Robbery,” Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1993; Lawrence Southwick, “Self-Defense With Guns”, Journal of Criminal Justice, 2000."

So your idea is to make 2.5 million more victims per year by disarming law abiding citizens. That's gary Kleck's estimate of how many defensive uses of guns there are each year. You want to be responsible for that?

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html

What about the domestic violence victims who decide to arm themselves? Take that option away too? Cause the LEO can do such an effective job of being there when they need them right?

As far as kids, the most dangerous thing my child does every day is get into the van to go to school. They are more likely to be injured in a car than by one of my firearms, statistically speaking. Ban kids in cars? In the age range of my kids there were 621 motor vehicle deaths, 17 by falling and 14 gun deaths.

" Note that automobile accident is the number one cause of death in this age group, accounting for about 21%."

http://www.statisticstop10.com/Causes_of_Death_Kids.html

All your links are murders. Yeah I do think I raise my kids better than that.