• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you deal with an anti wife?

chiefjason

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
chiefjason wrote:
because it provides no information about how many--if any--of the gun carriers had lawful Right-to-Carry permits.
This, right here, sickens me.

The permit requirement?

Or the fact that they did not take the permit into consideration?

Penn is an OC state but you have to have a permit to OC in Philly.

It's an apples to oranges study. If they were not legal to carry a gun, then were they doing anything else illegal? Odds are the answer is yes they were, with maybe a few exceptions. And the 53% arrest record is telling as well.

ocgso

imported post

Uncommon wrote:
ocgso wrote:
But you are talking to a group that is well trained, prepared, and have thought about and discussed this situation. Consider that before you go stomping on what they believe (and know through experience).

No, this is NOT a group that has truly thought it out, otherwise you'd already know you're 4.5 times more to be shot to death while carrying a firearm than not. Reference: American Journal of Public Health; Sept 2009

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/AJPH.2008.143099v1

Some other interesting facts: http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/domviofs.htm

Please share the following child+gunstories with YOUR children:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/04/national/main3788009.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/08/national/main4586103.shtml

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/14097780/detail.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-524588/Girl-16-kills-entire-family-row-parents-boyfriend.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/08/national/main4586103.shtml

http://www.news-bulletin.com/nb/index.php/news/458-boy-10-shoots-and-kills-father.html

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2005-68714.asp

But this would NEVER happen to any of you, right? Of course not. Obviously, everyone else this happened to clearly did everything wrong, and probably deserved it, right? Of course they did.

Go read the book "More guns, less crime" by John R. Lott Jr.

It is in depth research and tried and true statistical methods controlling for every variable that is possible. It proves through diligent research that the more people you have carrying guns on their person, the less violent crimes you have in that area.

I am an engineer and mathemetician by trade and education, and spent hours researching his methods in each chapter. It is accurate, dependable, and down right interesting. It is a tough book to get through if you haven't had a graduate course in statistics, but every person should read it.

I will not respond with personal attacks, but only hope that you will read this book with a fairly open mind.

I choose for my family and myself not to be a victim. I have never had a fire, but I keep batteries in my smoke detectors and have 2 loaded fire extinguishers in the house. I have never been robbed, but have an alarm system and a loaded 12 gauge by the bed for the same reason.......JUST IN CASE.

You are free not to do that, but don't personally attack forum users as uneducated, compensating, or stupid because of our views. Many on here are highly educated, some pursuing advanced degrees. Most everyone on here could teach courses on firearms safety, reloading, field stripping, etc for guns.

wylde007

imported post

ocgso wrote:
I have never had a fire, but I keep batteries in my smoke detectors and have 2 loaded fire extinguishers in the house. I have never been robbed, but have an alarm system and a loaded 12 gauge by the bed for the same reason... JUST IN CASE.
I have been robbed. Three times... but not once since I had an alarm system installed.

I have never had a fire, but I also have smoke alarms and charged fire extinguishers.

And the only time I have ever been in a physical altercation (initiated, of course, by someone else) has been when I have been unarmed, to wit: I was assaulted in NC while on holiday on Ocracoke Island.

And you know what? Every time I've had a flat tire I have been awfully thankful that I had a reliable spare.

ocgso

imported post

Good one.....

I keep a spare tire and jack in all of my vehicles, and haven't had a flat in over a decade. Doesn't mean I don't need them.

Another one I always use is this: I have never needed my seat belt (never been in a major accident) but I still put it on every time I get in the car. How should my pistol be any different when I leave the house

Some people just don't get it....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

irishgunslinger1

imported post

lonewolf2810 wrote:
Just hang in there and keep trying. Sooner or later she will warm up to it but in the mean time keep up the hard work on getting her on your side. It will take time.

i had a very similar experience.. my wife originally thought of gun carry as nonsense when we first met. until one day a couple of years later. we were out one day just sight seeing and picture taking.. it was a hot summer day and i had brought my ccw holster.. as i was sweating all over the gun, i removed it and left it in the concole of my car.. we had pulled over to take pictures at a scenic overlook. and were about 15 feet from the car. when 2 men in a beat up old 4 wheel drive pull up.. i quickly assess them as nonthreatening, they were clearly having vehicle problems. and neither of them were even paying attention to us other than a quick glance.. as i was watching them quickly change places in the truck. my wife starts this panicked quick walk towards the car....but as they pull away she slows her dash for the car...after they leave . i laughingly ask her whats her problem? she says that she knew i had left the gun in the car and was worried about those two men..and was going to the car because thats where the gun is at... i laughed,, thinking back to when we met , and that she thought gun carry was frivolous...

it just takes time. and the situational awareness that gun carry bring with it will prevail.. and like my wife , she will feel uncomfortable if i do not have the gun with us..

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

My wife still isn't comfortable with carrying her own gun, but I'm in big big trouble if I leave the house without it! I went to the range yesterday and shot a couple of boxes of blazer .40 cal, and when i got home i layed my target on the couch and went in the other room. Well when i came back in the living room, My wife was looking at my target with a smile on her face. I said why are you smiling so big? and she said, I feel bad for the SOB that tries to F$&* with our family. :)

cwhin191

imported post

I was given my first piece (.22 cal rifle) in 1950 when I was 7 years old; I purchased my first piece 16ga break-open shotgun in 1952 when I was 9 years old, no papers, no permits, no proof of age,no nothing. Before the Firearms Control Act of 1968, one could do that, as well as purchase whatever was desired (firearms, light artillary pieces, in fact just about anything except class III weapons) through the mail. No school shootings, no drive bys, etc.

Lawmaker

imported post

I dont know if yall remember but I took my wife on a man date. Range time and the OC meeting. Well here are some pictures of the results.

These are her comments: "This is my target from our "man date" I went on with the hubby. This was only my second time shooting in my life. Chest shots with the Beretta rifle/Head shots with the Glock."

Chest shots were made with a Beretta CX4 Storm at 15 yards. All in red except one low middle. Head shots were made with a G19 Glock at 7 yards. All except one (Right side of head in white) were viable kill shots. Also because there was one round left I shot the little target top left at 20 yards with the G19. Warning to all would be bad guys. This woman knows how to shoot. I learned to teach people how to shoot as a 0933 Combat Marksmanship Coach.

B

bgreene89

imported post

I remember when my girlfriend gave me the lecture about me carry my handgun open carry with me. She goes "why do you need it do you plan on shooting me are the dog?" i sayed "No" and acted like I was pissed. She goes "what then" I sayed "if someones breaks in for defense". Shortly after that one night she was cutting my hair and heard people talking outside the garage,and i grabbed my pistol.And we ever figured out who are what it was. Since then I haven't heard nothing I think me acting upset about it made her relieze how much it meant to me. But also the freaky sounds, and people trying to break in around here made her relieze the world is getting worse with criminals. She will warm up trust me! If she doesn't warm up get a buddy to scare you two one night but of course you have it all planned and you know how its gonna go down and don't be carrying that night and please don't shoot him!

Scrub

imported post

bgreene89 wrote:
snip ...... If she doesn't warm up get a buddy to scare you two one night but of course you have it all planned and you know how its gonna go down and don't be carrying that night and please don't shoot him!

I have to raise an objection to staging something like this. Too easy for it to go wrong in more than one way. If your pal shows up at the wrong time he could get shot, and if the BG's show up at the right time you could. I would recommend you take the long way and let her come around a little at a time.

a-k-woman

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
My wife is surprised that I've had a passion for owning and carrying for a long time. Although I've only owned rifles before while I lived in TX. Unfortunately my home was robbed and they had been taken. I havent owned a firearm since 1996 till just last year when I purchased my springfield. She has no understanding for any of this. Shes worried how many problems it would cause with people just by seeing me with one on my hip. Also with our two small children, all she seems to think about is how dangerous it could be for them. Dont get me wrong, I'm all for the safety and well being of my children as I try to educate the responsabilities of owning a firearm as much as I can to her. But it just has become way too much of a hassle and a strain just trying to deal with it. I cant even wear in my own domicile. Hopefully someday I will have her calm enough to understand and appreciate or given rights and choice to carry. Untill then, I support you all one hundred percent and thuroughly enjoy reading all of your posts. I'll stick around with you fine folks and learn all I can.

Good luck, God bless.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I am a woman and love guns. I believe the way to get more women to like guns is to expose them to guns at a young age. Fathers should teach their daughers about guns they same way they do with their sons.

My father taught me about guns and how to reload ammo at a young age. I love guns now and it irks me to see women who fear them. I believe women and most folks fear what they do not understand.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

a-k-woman wrote:
XD40BiTone wrote:
My wife is surprised that I've had a passion for owning and carrying for a long time. Although I've only owned rifles before while I lived in TX. Unfortunately my home was robbed and they had been taken. I havent owned a firearm since 1996 till just last year when I purchased my springfield. She has no understanding for any of this. Shes worried how many problems it would cause with people just by seeing me with one on my hip. Also with our two small children, all she seems to think about is how dangerous it could be for them. Dont get me wrong, I'm all for the safety and well being of my children as I try to educate the responsabilities of owning a firearm as much as I can to her. But it just has become way too much of a hassle and a strain just trying to deal with it. I cant even wear in my own domicile. Hopefully someday I will have her calm enough to understand and appreciate or given rights and choice to carry. Untill then, I support you all one hundred percent and thuroughly enjoy reading all of your posts. I'll stick around with you fine folks and learn all I can.

Good luck, God bless.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I am a woman and love guns. I believe the way to get more women to like guns is to expose them to guns at a young age. Fathers should teach their daughers about guns they same way they do with their sons.

My father taught me about guns and how to reload ammo at a young age. I love guns now and it irks me to see women who fear them. I believe women and most folks fear what they do not understand.

This is why I plan to properly teach my daughter about guns. She is only 15 months old right now, so tis a little early. She will grow up seeing daddy carrying a gun, so it shouldn't seem unusual to her. I'm really looking forward to one day buying a little .22 pistol & using that to teach her to shoot.

The Wolfhound

imported post

We got my daughter (15years old) a pink CZ 452 .22 rifle. The guys at Greentop were laughing about it until they pulled the proof target out of the box. 5 shots postage stamp at 50 meters. Suddenly it was more "That's a mighty accurate rifle you got there":D

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My fiance grew up with long guns. She did a lot of hunting with her parents when she was a kid. Guns were taboo in my house growing up:(. However, she had zero experience with handguns until she met me. It took me a year to get her to get a CCW. Now she has her own revolver and CCs most of the time, but I'm afraid her gun will die of lonliness! She's got no interest in owning more handguns or becoming more proficient. SHe doesn't mind me carrying (concealed) - she actual prefers it because then "she doesn't have to worry about it." But she is visibly uncomfortable when she's with me when I'm OCing. Hopefully this will change with time and familiarity as she's got no philosophical problems with OC.
My point is this: we need to make sure to teach our kids about handguns as well as rifles and shotguns.

The Wolfhound

imported post

In our case, there are handguns, shotguns and rifles. Daughter has shot .22LR, .38Spl, .40S&W and .45ACP. I went wrong somewhere and she developed a passion for wheelguns over semis:lol:

Lawmaker

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
In our case, there are handguns, shotguns and rifles. Daughter has shot .22LR, .38Spl, .40S&W and .45ACP. I went wrong somewhere and she developed a passion for wheelguns over semis:lol:
It is the simplicity. My wife wants a S&W .38 now after she held one while I was shopping for something else.