• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moms Demand Action after Target Now

HPmatt

The strange part is there are men who are Moms Demanding Action. I can understand their level of pain, childbirth must have been extremely painful.

They were either surrogate moms or p'haps women-w/o-wombs....:uhoh::eek:

WalkingWolf

Is there any cite available for effects felt in VA from the OCT/MDA issue beyond the heartburn of opinions shared online? Just curious.
Probably not, most reactions are purely emotional based on hyperbole, rumor, and outright lies.

Two things to keep in mind, who would MDA be going after if not open carry? Would they stop their demands if OC people capitulate?

I belong to SLS, a adult site not related to firearms. It has a political forum with with every flavor of politics and believes. The topic of MDA, and OC, has yet to be raised. Here is a link to the offline forums, go to political forums and you will see NOTHING on this issue.

http://www.swinglifestyle.com/forums/General_Discussions/Politics/forumid_1125/viewforum.cfm

va_tazdad

From the Chipotle thread

Is there any cite available for effects felt in VA from the OCT/MDA issue beyond the heartburn of opinions shared online? Just curious.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/01/sonic-chilis-join-restaurants-with-no-guns-policy/

"USA Today said Chipotle implemented its no-gun policy after protests two weekends ago by the gun rights group Open Carry Texas."

"Other places where guns aren’t welcome are Starbucks, Wendy's, Jack In The Box, and Applebee’s."

These are all here in Virginia and follow corporate policy.

WalkingWolf

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Probably not, most reactions are purely emotional based on hyperbole, rumor, and outright lies.

Two things to keep in mind, who would MDA be going after if not open carry? Would they stop their demands if OC people capitulate?

I belong to SLS, a adult site not related to firearms. It has a political forum with with every flavor of politics and believes. The topic of MDA, and OC, has yet to be raised. Here is a link to the offline forums, go to political forums and you will see NOTHING on this issue.

http://www.swinglifestyle.com/forums/General_Discussions/Politics/forumid_1125/viewforum.cfm

Another good point. A policy of appeasement will never work. We must stand up for all of our rights, not just the ones that are politically expedient today.

Neplusultra

Michael Yon Comment from his Facebook page concerning Open Carry Texas....

I have no knowledge of any of this, but I do respect Mr Yon whom I follow on FB. He knows a LOT of people in the military with extensive background in both Afghanistan and Thailand:

{Quote:

Guns in the USA: Targeting Target Stores

Note: The founder of Open Carry Texas has caused suffering to many people due to his own mental health issues, which he has published about many times. At one point he published about hearing voices in his head. Last year the Army disallowed him from carrying firearms. (He is on active duty at Fort Hood, Texas.) These days he carries a toy gun. In 2010, Master Sergeant CJ Grisham was sent home from Afghanistan, unable to complete his tour, after suffering anxiety attacks in face of the Taliban. But he never even left base. Never saw a Taliban. Did not see combat.

Now he prances around Texas with his toy gun, telling others to carry real rifles and shotguns into Startbucks, Walmart, McDonald's, Target, etc., etc.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/guns-target-store-open-carry-texas

End Quote}

I believe you can find the post with comments at the link below, I believe his page is open to the public although you may have to join to comment:

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage/posts/10152175933600665

Last edited:

TFred

I'm sad to have to say this, but I see no other viable analysis.

MDA may be as dumb as all the other gun grabbers out there, but they aren't stupid. Through sheer repetition, they have observed a pattern:

1. Ask business to ban guns.
2. Business says we don't want to play your game, go away and bother someone else.
3. Over-zealous gun owners gloat and start holding "support" meetings, flooding businesses with meetings full of visible guns.
4. Business, who really, really doesn't care ANYTHING about gun issues, just wants their normal flow of customers... if some carry, fine, if others don't, fine too. Faced with an unbalanced tide, finally come out and ask gun carriers to stay away.

5. MDA claims victory, moves on to next target, pardon the pun, repeat, ad infinitum.

End result: They win in the PR arena. We lose. Remember, our goal is the normalization of open carry. Unlike most other social campaigns, pretty much any press is going to be bad press, because "normal" doesn't get press coverage.

TFred

ChristCrusader

Another good point. A policy of appeasement will never work. We must stand up for all of our rights, not just the ones that are politically expedient today.

@7:57, Moms Demand Action Stephanie Lundy stumbles and collapses at host Marc Lamont Hills' question:
If universal background checks and mandatory training were implemented in order to open carry, would your concerns be satisfied?
FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL
Won't come out and admit MDA's ultimate goals and ulterior motives, but stumbled all over herself trying to avoid directly answering and admitting it.
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/target-under-fire-for-open-carry-gun-policy/538cb48802a7602b160005ab

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'm sad to have to say this, but I see no other viable analysis.

MDA may be as dumb as all the other gun grabbers out there, but they aren't stupid. Through sheer repetition, they have observed a pattern:

1. Ask business to ban guns.
2. Business says we don't want to play your game, go away and bother someone else.
3. Over-zealous gun owners gloat and start holding "support" meetings, flooding businesses with meetings full of visible guns.
4. Business, who really, really doesn't care ANYTHING about gun issues, just wants their normal flow of customers... if some carry, fine, if others don't, fine too. Faced with an unbalanced tide, finally come out and ask gun carriers to stay away.

5. MDA claims victory, moves on to next target, pardon the pun, repeat, ad infinitum.

End result: They win in the PR arena. We lose. Remember, our goal is the normalization of open carry. Unlike most other social campaigns, pretty much any press is going to be bad press, because "normal" doesn't get press coverage.

TFred

It is impossible to normalize open carry without open carrying, individually and in groups. If a restaurant is accepting of infants and the problems associated with those infants, should MOMS then avoid those businesses and have their baby showers somewhere else?

I am amazed that nobody gets that there has been NO WEAPONS BANS, by any of these businesses. Only a weak statement to get the Moms who need to get laid off their back. There is no victory, people are still open carrying in Starbucks, and Chipotles.

The only victory that MDA has is with the weak minded gun owners who cannot see past their own selfish agenda.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Note that all this attention is on, and to, national bigbox store chains/franchisees. There never has been a better opportunity to give custom to your local Mom&Pop shops. Shop local, buy local, eat local. Eschew BigBox stores, let 'em stew in their own juices.

Look to, for instance Great Wall Mart of China, under attack now by Moms of Wall Mart demanding $25/hour.
Been eschewing with regularity for years at this point. Just the other day, my local barber shop kicked out a fella who objected to the big scary looking Ruger P90 on my hip while I waited for a shave & haircut. The nitwit refused to partake of the owners advice to get his hair cut and get over it.

mikeyb

I have no knowledge of any of this, but I do respect Mr Yon whom I follow on FB. He knows a LOT of people in the military with extensive background in both Afghanistan and Thailand:

{Quote:

Guns in the USA: Targeting Target Stores

Note: The founder of Open Carry Texas has caused suffering to many people due to his own mental health issues, which he has published about many times. At one point he published about hearing voices in his head. Last year the Army disallowed him from carrying firearms. (He is on active duty at Fort Hood, Texas.) These days he carries a toy gun. In 2010, Master Sergeant CJ Grisham was sent home from Afghanistan, unable to complete his tour, after suffering anxiety attacks in face of the Taliban. But he never even left base. Never saw a Taliban. Did not see combat.

Now he prances around Texas with his toy gun, telling others to carry real rifles and shotguns into Startbucks, Walmart, McDonald's, Target, etc., etc.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/guns-target-store-open-carry-texas

End Quote}

I believe you can find the post with comments at the link below, I believe his page is open to the public although you may have to join to comment:

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage/posts/10152175933600665

Yon and Grisham have been going at it back and forth for years.

hsmith

I rarely OC anymore - but if I owned a shop and someone walked in with a long gun, I'd ask them to leave. Period.

These guys aren't doing anything to help the cause. They are seeking attention, they aren't OC'ing to OC. The men and women around OC'ing handguns going about their lives are being harmed, badly.

Want to parade around with your long guns? Then by all means - go do it on the sidewalk where you are fully legal to. That is the arena to do it, not on someones private property.

Better yet do what the NoVA OC'ers have done, adopt a highway and clean it up with your long guns.

WalkingWolf

I rarely OC anymore - but if I owned a shop and someone walked in with a long gun, I'd ask them to leave. Period.

These guys aren't doing anything to help the cause. They are seeking attention, they aren't OC'ing to OC. The men and women around OC'ing handguns going about their lives are being harmed, badly.

Want to parade around with your long guns? Then by all means - go do it on the sidewalk where you are fully legal to. That is the arena to do it, not on someones private property.

Better yet do what the NoVA OC'ers have done, adopt a highway and clean it up with your long guns.

Irony~~attention seeking post above.

Last edited: