• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC dinner/city council meeting in Birmingham on June 11th?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I had my doubts about how this would go with possible LGOC, but I am very proud to call you friends and compatriots in standing up for Rights, having the courage to act upon your convictions. Kudos to all who attended and "carried themselves properly". Also, kudos to the City of Birmingham as from all accounts that I know of there were no additional Rights Violations.

I believe that a "wait and see approach" is probably best right now. I certainly hope that the City of Birmingham has "gotten the message" that when you violate one person's Rights you violate everyone's Rights and that we truly want to work together towards protecting Rights.

Did we have a count of how many people attended the Event at Shain Park? How about at the City Council/Commission Meeting?

At one point I counted 21 OCers/Supporters, about 3-4 non-OCers/citizens at the park joining us, asking questions, a half-dozen pizza-eating Germans, and 1 individual who just watched us from a distance for about 2 hours and followed us around town and to the board meeting. Some could only come for a short time and this count could easily be added to or cut depending at which specific moment one counted.

Many went to the board meeting but, by the time the public comment time came over 2 hours after it started, there were about 12-14 OCers in the room.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I had my doubts about how this would go with possible LGOC, but I am very proud to call you friends and compatriots in standing up for Rights, having the courage to act upon your convictions. Kudos to all who attended and "carried themselves properly". Also, kudos to the City of Birmingham as from all accounts that I know of there were no additional Rights Violations.

I believe that a "wait and see approach" is probably best right now. I certainly hope that the City of Birmingham has "gotten the message" that when you violate one person's Rights you violate everyone's Rights and that we truly want to work together towards protecting Rights.

Did we have a count of how many people attended the Event at Shain Park? How about at the City Council/Commission Meeting?

My rough count was 30 at the park & oc stroll downtown. Myself and two others that I know of arrived ( I think - after Dr. Todds initial count, plus 5 from the Combs family) At the commission meeting not much less. I was proud of my fellow citizens who stood strong for all of our rights. Today was a win for all who value freedom.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

A good turn-out indeed.

For reference purposes, the approximate counts for the Royal Oak Arts, Beats, and Eats Firearm Carry Issue was the following:

1st City Commission Meeting (July 2010): 8.
2nd City Commission Meeting (July 2010): 16, 1-2 more for CC'ing (admitted to me personally).
3rd City Commission Meeting (August 2010): 32.
4th City Commission Meeting (August 2010): 35+.

NHCGRPR45

A good turn-out indeed.

For reference purposes, the approximate counts for the Royal Oak Arts, Beats, and Eats Firearm Carry Issue was the following:

1st City Commission Meeting (July 2010): 8.
2nd City Commission Meeting (July 2010): 16, 1-2 more for CC'ing (admitted to me personally).
3rd City Commission Meeting (August 2010): 32.
4th City Commission Meeting (August 2010): 35+.

I suspect that if this continues we could see the same type of thing happening here. Hopefully this case is dropped and he is cleared, with no further action required.

DanM

Thank you mods for letting us have this thread.

I believe the value of this thread is the discussion and protest of the police arresting someone for not ID'ing when the person had no legal obligation to do so. If you are perhaps obliquely referring to mention or exposure in this thread of specific carry not advocated by OCDO, I see such mention or exposure as incidental. The subject, and only advocacy, I see in this thread is support for a law-abiding young man who politely and legally refused to ID, and received abuse of power from agents of the state in return.

Guys, I regret not being able to attend yesterday with you to protest this illegal "stop and ID" incident. My schedule was non-flexible. I remain engaged in following this, and will come out for any future gatherings as my schedule allows.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
:eek:

Well phrasing it slightly differently, we knew you would have been there if possible. :D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:
I dunno, I kind of liked "felt presence."

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Too bad I can't learn not to laugh at my own jokes, I could probably make money at being a comic. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- Too bad I can't learn not to laugh at my own jokes, I could probably make money at being a comic. :D

Good thing about laughing at one's own jokes - it insures that someone is. :)

Losing your amateur status will only mean that you will have to report the income. The difference between an amateur and a professional......the professional gets paid for their mistakes.

Ruckus

97.1FM The Ticket in Metro Detroit is promo'ing a discussion on this topic tomorrow at 6:42AM on the Bill and Stoney Show for those who are up that early. Their promo is something like "If you saw an 18 year old carrying a rifle downtown Birmingham, would you call 911?" The Ticket's call-in number is 248-539-9797 for those interested.

WilDChilD

All you White Trash Cowards made the front of MSNBC. Dont worry, the comments are all positive.

Wish I could have made it cause I am scared of everything. But I was busy washing my overalls in the river, then I had to beat my wife for a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanM

All you White Trash Cowards made the front of MSNBC. Dont worry, the comments are all positive.

Wish I could have made it cause I am scared of everything. But I was busy washing my overalls in the river, then I had to beat my wife for a little bit.

Ok, for a split-second I thought we were being trolled, then realized the sarcasm. LOLSCON*

*laughing out loud, shot coffee out nose

Last edited by a moderator:

Small_Arms_Collector

Small_Arms_Collector

I say if they drop this then so should we. If they do not we should bring as much attention to them as possible via visits during events in the city such as carnivals, concerts, etc... I'm sure they want that ;)

Thanks again to the large group who tuned out.

Mr. Combs mother asked me to pass along her families gratitude for our show of support. She/they are a class act. :cool:

I'm all for that. I hope that the city has gotten the message now, and the charges will be dropped to save what's left of their face, but if not I have no problem showing up again.

Small_Arms_Collector

I had a great time... seeing old members and meeting many new ones, too. Sean is a very well-spoken young man and seemed surprised and genuinely appreciative of our support. His family was also very appreciative.

The fact that we had a few citizens of Birmingham stop and say hello at the gathering was great. Furthermore, having a few citizens of Birmingham stand up and address the board at the meeting was heartening, especially when one woman who is on a board got up, explained she is a cpl holder, and asked that some others, who felt the need to criticize with comments from the gallery, allow us to speak and to treat us with respect. Although she didn't directly address OC and I have no idea where she stands on OC itself, she certainly made a favorable impression.

I thank everyone for representing OC in a very positive light... Carry On!

It was indeed a good day for OC, I think we educated a lot of people, I myself talked to a couple of guys under the canopy that were walking through. While I heard some negative comments (exactly 3, I counted) they were far exceeded by the number of positive comments, and statements of support. A very good day for OC indeed.