• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC picinc at Silverdale Waterfront Park (WA) gets big time press!

fire suppressor

imported post

Just wanted to thank sempercarry for making the gathering both happen and a success. Thank you. I had to work tonight and misses the our story on the news (watched the youtube upload, thanks for doing that) but my phone did light up little after 2200 with freinds and family asking if that was me on the news. Had fun and hope to see you all agin next time.

MadHatter66

imported post

Thanks for your email. I am going to see about doing a follow-up this week. I have gotten some complaints on the headline, and quite frankly, I felt it was misleading -- it's the county, not open carry, that may be in conflict with state law.

Please keep in touch.

Thanks,
Josh

Yeah, I think they did too... Just got the above email from Josh. I see what he is trying to get at, but not sure it hit its mark... Although in most media outlets the writer doesnt actually get to write the headline...

MadHatter66

FMCDH

imported post

They just ran the spot on KUOW 94.9.

Very good... about 30 seconds, and the spokesman for Kitsap admitted it was unenforceable and should "probably" be removed from the books.

I call that a huge win! :D

KitsapPatriot

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

Very good... about 30 seconds, and the spokesman for Kitsap admitted it was unenforceable and should "probably" be removed from the books.

LOL, new user here, I just registered to post the same thing. The Kitsap Sun article kinda torqued me. :banghead:

KOUW did a much better job with their piece.

FMCDH

imported post

KitsapPatriot wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

LOL, new user here, I just registered to post the same thing. The Kitsap Sun article kinda torqued me. :banghead:

KOUW did a much better job with their piece.
Welcome to OCDO!

I agree, KUOW did a great spot. Fleeting, but accurate and to the point.

FMCDH

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
Anyone know who the Kitsap rep was?
I believe it was a spokesman for the Sheriffs Dept, but don't remember the name. I am still waiting for KUOW to put the link on their website for the spot. When they do, I will post it.

sempercarry

imported post

Just wanted to thank you all again.....I never thought it would get this big.....a newspaper a spot on the 10 o'clock news and a piece on npr. Mission accomplished....the pressure is on Kitsap county now, lets see if they take it off the books.

MadHatter66

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
I believe it was a spokesman for the Sheriffs Dept, but don't remember the name. I am still waiting for KUOW to put the link on their website for the spot. When they do, I will post it.

Was probably Scott Wilson then, he is the media guy for the sheriffs department.

FMCDH

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:

Was probably Scott Wilson then, he is the media guy for the sheriffs department.

The spot ran again on KUOW this morning at 0605, and yes, it was Scott Wilson.

According to the spot, the city council now has the issue on the table for amendment, or will very soon.

Ajetpilot

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
According to the spot, the city council now has the issue on the table for amendment, or will very soon.

If they said "city council," that would be incorrect. It would be the Board of Commissioners who have legislative authority over county parks.

They have been telling me that the issue will be on the table very soon since September, 2007. They have a different definition for "very soon" than you and I.

I just checked the agenda for various meetings of the board here and here. There is no mention of revising the county code in general or KCC 10.12.080 specifically.

The Kitsap County Commissioners have a habit of telling you what you want to hear, but seldom following through.

That said, I hope the radio report is correct, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17672
(audio link: http://www.kuow.org/mp3high/mp3/News/20090602_lj_kitsapguns.mp3)

head_NS.gif
Dueling Gun Laws 06/02/2009
Gun advocates have turned up the heat on Kitsap County. They're challenging a county law that prohibits guns in public parks.

Dozens of gun–toting picnickers gathered in a Silverdale park this weekend, openly wearing their firearms. That's illegal, under a county ordinance. But state law allows gun owners to openly carry firearms in most public places.
Tacoma resident Jonathan Harris helped organized Sunday's picnic. He wants the county to remove its gun ban signs from local parks.

Harris: "We feel it's a bullying move by Kitsap County. That the people who are less educated about the laws will see the signs and think it's illegal, when in fact it is not. So having the signs there is kind of the county bullying educating less educated people into not exercising their rights."
Harris says he openly carries a gun because it's more comfortable, and it can also help deter crime.

Although Harris and others at the picnic openly flouted the county law, local sheriff's deputies made no arrests.
Wilson: "Because we realize it butts heads. It butts up against state law. There's a conflict between the two and state law basically trumps county ordinance."
That's Scott Wilson. He's a spokesman for the Kitsap County Sheriff's Department. He can't remember any case when the county's gun law has been used. And he admits the county's law is not enforceable.
Wilson: "So we realize this situation – we have received guidance from the Prosecutor's Office on this in the past. It is a law that probably does need to be amended on the books."

Kitsap County Commissioner Charlotte Garrido agrees. She plans to put this issue on the commissioners' agenda soon. That's the first step toward a possible change in the county law.

Meanwhile, Harris and other "open carry" advocates plan to keep up the pressure on Kitsap County. They say that's worked in other areas. Bremerton recently overturned its gun restrictions in city parks. And University Place, near Tacoma, removed the gun ban signs from its parks.

Liz Jones, KUOW News.
© Copyright 2009, KUOW