• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

one of us? open carry at dui checkpoint

usmcmustang

...What is wrong with trying to prevent DUI crashes and deaths before they have a chance to occur? Yes I know, The Federal Government helps to funds these check points. Who really cares? The police have a job just like anyone else. These guys don't make up whatever they want, their orders come from their chain of command. This happens at all of our workplaces...

What is wrong with trying to prevent Jews, gypsies, and undesirables from procreating before they have a chance to? Yes, I know, the Nazi Government in Berlin helps to fund these measures. Who really cares? Those police and security forces have a job just like anyone else. The people carrying out these measures don’t make up whatever they want, their orders come from their chain of command. This happens at all of our workplaces.

usmcmustang

Adolf Eichmann “. . . . these misdeeds did not happen according to my wishes. It was not my wish to slay people. . . . I am guilty of having been obedient, having subordinated myself to my official duties and… obligations … and my oath of office…. I did not persecute . . . with avidity and passion. That is what the government did . . .”

Nuremberg Principle IV -
The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of a government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility…, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him."

Yard Sale

December and New Year's Eve have passed without a Sparks police roadblock, or even a roadblock anywhere in the Reno/Sparks/Tahoe/Carson area. This is very curious, because Sparks always conducts a roadblock the week before Xmas and they already had the fiscal year 2013 grant money planned for this one. Also, a NHP press release said there would be a roadblock in northern Nevada in December, but to my knowledge, none occurred.

You don't think it has anything to do with a certain appeal brief and several videos that illustrate the Northern Nevada Joining Forces task force "DUI checkpoints" are ineptly administered, corruptly conducted charades that thumb their noses at state statutes, the state constitution, and the U.S. constitution, subjecting involved officers, agencies, and municipalities to litigation from thousands of unreasonably seized individuals?

Nah, that can't be it.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I went to court today on my motion for fees and costs, This motion was remanded back to the Judge Who found me Guilty Citing "Organic Law" In usual fashion this judge Admitted to not seeing the motion or the city's response. But argued for the City anyway, Cited facts that are in contradiction of the applicable statute. She did however agree to refund my fines, so I got $637.00 out of the $1133.00 that I was seeking. Best of all it was a great Day in Court! I feel like my skills are improving a little.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I just received notice today that my appeal for costs of the action, stemming from obstruction at the DUI checkpoint. has been docketed in the Supreme Court of Nevada Case #62436 If that is what is what ist will take to get my $496.00 bucks back... Lets Rock!

We-the-People

I just received notice today that my appeal for costs of the action, stemming from obstruction at the DUI checkpoint. has been docketed in the Supreme Court of Nevada Case #62436 If that is what is what ist will take to get my $496.00 bucks back... Lets Rock!

That's $496 but other costs right? Don't forget mileage or fuel, legal consultations, filing fees, etc.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I submitted a "record of disbursements" with my brief. It contained summons costs mileage costs as well as a nominal amount for paper and ink. While the money is a motivator, it is not a major one. I am more concerned with getting the courts to follow the letter of the law... even if it starts out at 1 buck.

We-the-People

I submitted a "record of disbursements" with my brief. It contained summons costs mileage costs as well as a nominal amount for paper and ink. While the money is a motivator, it is not a major one. I am more concerned with getting the courts to follow the letter of the law... even if it starts out at 1 buck.

Personal gain is seldom the reason in these matters. It is generally the principle. In cases of continued violations the money obtained through civil suits can cause policy change but governments generally don't care unless the disbursements become a public relations problem for them.

Rollbar

The cop said that at one time some one held up a sign that read they didn't have to talk to said cop. Then the cop asked how to handle that situation etc. Then it was stated that said person driving vehicle HAD to roll down their window 100% from the Dept's conclusion of the first incident.

Now with all that said (from the video) I have a question seeing that the Dept's has THEIR policy for check points.

Question, if one rolls up to a check point, and rolls their window down 100%, can they produce a piece of paper telling said Dept/cop that they don't have to speak to them? They are infact rolling down their window. :question:

Thanks,
Jim

elga

Question, if one rolls up to a check point, and rolls their window down 100%, can they produce a piece of paper telling said Dept/cop that they don't have to speak to them? They are infact rolling down their window. :question:

Thanks,
Jim

That would be the inference from this detective's testimony, but it all depends on the leo you get at the checkpoint - it's a dice roll.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Wow that is actual work! But i have all the video's posted, including the remand back from District Court. I Do not think I will get video from the Supreme court, That is one thing that made me just release what I do have:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPz4aOQtmA

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhHveHUV7k

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06fTk5Mk7w

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGZehdcAVRg

Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLRD4PjK8vE

Part 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7xyEWg89E

Part 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXqX_Ucv1c

Part 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rarp5s7n1MY

Part 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dUdbuDTkFs

Here they are!

We-the-People

WOW...."Organic law" huh? And no need to show that the "lawful order" was based on....ummmmm...department legal decision rather than any LAW requiring the window to be rolled down.

The officers testified that your RIGHT to refuse FST's and RIGHT to refuse to answer questions was part of their reasoning that you were "obstructing". They also failed to identify ANY law which gave tehm lawful authority or issue a "lawful order" to roll your window down all the way. Their beliefs, their routine, what they desire, their departments "legal opinion" are not LAW. Without a law that specifically requires you to roll your window down all the way, there is not "lawful order" as there is not lawful authority. They have the authority to make you stop at their checkpoint (if it is done within the confines of the NRS for conducting such checkpoints). They have the authority to ASK any question they want and to REQUEST anything they want....however, the citizen has the RIGHT to refuse to comply with such questions or requests in a consensual stop AND the citizen has the right to withdraw consent at any time. Unless the officer has specific lawful authority to DEMAND compliance, which they do not in this case, then the citizen is within his or her rights to decide not to answer the questions or comply with the requests.

Since these checkpoints are conducted under "consensual" circumstances, consent can be withdrawn at any time. I would argue that it qas quite obvious that defendant's refusal to answer questions or to submit to FST's postively and actively shows his withdrawl of consent.

Case law on the topic:

“Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rulemaking or legislation which would abrogate them.” MIRANDA v ARIZONA 384 U.S. 436 (1966) In other words: The exercise of a RIGHT cannot be converted to a crime. The officers testifying that your exercise of your RIGHT to refuse FST's and to refuse to answer questions was part of the reason they cited you for obstruction FAILS the constitutionality test.

Your exercise of your lawful RIGHT to refuse FST's or answer questions cannot be converted into part of the officers "cause" or the states case, that you violated the obstruction statute.​

“in determining whether the officer acted reasonably in such circumstances, due weight must be given, not to his inchoate and unparticularized suspicion or "hunch," but to the specific reasonable inferences which he is entitled to draw from the facts in light of his experience.” Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1 (1968) ID @ 27

The ONLY thing they had that was possibly legitimate was the bloodshot eyes for a DUI. However, their focus on the amount the window was rolled down was the ONLY thing that isn't specifically a RIGHT of the citizen and there is no statute requiring the window to be rolled all the way down, only their DESIRE and POLICY (neither of which is LAW) that the window be rolled down.

Even in closing arguments, the state argued that the failure to perform FST's and answer questions was part of the justification for the obstruction charge.​

MIRANDA v ARIZONA 384 U.S. 436 (1966)
“Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rulemaking or legislation which would abrogate them.”

Brown v. Texas, 443 U.S. 47 (1979)
“When police officers, without arresting an individual, detain the individual for the purpose of requiring him to identify himself, they perform a seizure of his person subject to the requirements of the Fourth Amendment.” ID @ Headnote 3

Brown v. Texas, 443 U.S. 47 (1979)
“Absent any basis for suspecting appellant of misconduct, the balance between the public interest in crime prevention and appellant's right to personal security and privacy tilts in favor of freedom from police interference.”

MIRANDA v ARIZONA 384 U.S. 436 (1966)
“Those who framed our Constitution and the Bill of Rights were ever aware of subtle encroachments on individual liberty. They knew that illegitimate and unconstitutional practices get their first footing . . . by silent approaches and slight deviations from legal modes of procedure. Boyd v. United States, 116 U.S. 616, 635 (1886).”

Goes to the point that there was no legal authority or statute cited for the officers supposed "lawful order" to roll the window down all the way" as well as the officers and states insistence that refusal to submit to FST's or answer questions could be used as part of their justification for an obstruction charge.​

United States v. Mendenhall, 446 U.S. 544, 551 (1980)
“We conclude that a person has been "seized" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment only if, in view of all of the circumstances surrounding the incident, a reasonable person would have believed that he was not free to leave.

Goes to the state and courts position that defendant was not arrested and so the 5th amendment was not available (paraphrased from the video record of the court procedures)......i.e. they tried to make a point that you were not arrested. In terms of the fourth, it only requires that you are no longer free to leave (detention which they testified to). However, they cited no legaly allowable probable cause as the window (the window was their only allowable testified to justification) being rolled down was not shown to be ANY legal requirement.

Glad you whipped them in the end. "Organic" law.....give me a freakin break. I'm glad that judge got her "organic ass" handed to her by the appelate court.