• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Movies

Overtaxed

imported post

McX wrote:
Some good movies were watched this weekend. Boondock Saints- Alot of action, and an interesting concept. Gives new meaning to taking a bite out of crime.

Boondock was pretty good. When I was in the Erie, PA area last July (taking a course at Bob's Guns), I overheard a fellow in a Starbucks talking about "Troy's Movie" that he worked on, and I asked him if he meant "Boondock Saints 2." He replied affirmatively, and told me that it was in the can, with no release date set that he knew of.

Fast-forward four months, and it's actually playing in limited release. I have yet to see it, but it's supposed to be better than the first one.

M

McX

imported post

It would be nice to see a movie sequal that exceeds the first one. I don't know what a netflix que is, so I can't comment there. How about Man From U.N.C.L.E. does that show fair well? Never saw any good remakes on that one, just "reunion" shows.

UtahJarhead

imported post

What's overrated about it? It's a very enjoyable movie. Lots of guns, shooting, and rooting for the underdogs. I just think it's a fantastic movie.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
What's overrated about it?  It's a very enjoyable movie.  Lots of guns, shooting, and rooting for the underdogs.  I just think it's a fantastic movie.
It's definitely entertaining. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It's just massively overrated. I can't tell you how many friends I've had declare it to be the "best movie ever", or at least their favorite.

I also have a hard time seeing it as really "pro-gun".

Sure, the main characters were the "good" kind of vigilante, but they weren't exactly average citizens either.

To be honest, I think another viewing is in order before I take too strong a position w/regards to it being "pro-gun" or not.

Edit: When I say overrated, I don't mean critically. I just mean the cult following the film seems to have.

Tomahawk

imported post

I agree, I think. I don't know for sure, because I rented that film after some friends told me I must see it, and while it was okay it didn't leave a huge impression on me. I hardly remember what it was about, which is a sure sign I didn't dig it that much.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I agree, I think. I don't know for sure, because I rented that film after some friends told me I must see it, and while it was okay it didn't leave a huge impression on me. I hardly remember what it was about, which is a sure sign I didn't dig it that much.
Yeah, that's always my sign that a movie wasn't terrible, but wasn't worth writing home about either.

I remember when I saw 25h Hour. I literally could not remember anything substantial about the film after walking out of the theater. :lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

marshaul wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
What's overrated about it? It's a very enjoyable movie. Lots of guns, shooting, and rooting for the underdogs. I just think it's a fantastic movie.
It's definitely entertaining. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It's just massively overrated. I can't tell you how many friends I've had declare it to be the "best movie ever", or at least their favorite.

I also have a hard time seeing it as really "pro-gun".

Sure, the main characters were the "good" kind of vigilante, but they weren't exactly average citizens either.

To be honest, I think another viewing is in order before I take too strong a position w/regards to it being "pro-gun" or not.

Edit: When I say overrated, I don't mean critically. I just mean the cult following the film seems to have.
I felt the same way about the "best ever" Tarantino films, I just didn't find them that good.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree completely about Tarantino.

Most overrated director, ever.

To be honest, most of his films aren't even that good. They're all basically the same anyway.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, I admit to laughing through Tarantino's films, they are entertaining. But I dislike the whole "instant cult classic" nonsense that they come with. A Tarantino film is like an episode of Family Guy, all pop culture references but not a whole lot of substance of its own. Inglourious Basterds was great fun, I admit. Not many movie-makers out there willing to let their hair down that far.

Compare with Michael Mann. He is known for stylish stuff like Miami Vice and Heat, which had some substance, and of course Last of the Mohicans, which is one my favorite pro-liberty movies, with a great story, cast, and all. His movie Public Enemy about Dillenger, on the other hand, was like a Miami Vice episode set in the 30s, and while technically well-made, didn't have much substance.

It's hard to make a pro-freedom movie, I think, without coming off as being preachy. I like the Jimmy Steward movie Shenandoah, which was an anti-war film set in Virginia in the Civil War. I think someone here mentioned it already.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recommended Shenandoah to my mom about two weeks ago (although I didn't mention it here).

Jimmy Stewart's character is one of my favorite in cinema.

It is a pro-liberty film, if not pro-gun, but I didn't mention it because I really feel that his daughter-in-law ought to have known where a gun was and defended herself. I feel like it loses pro-gun marks for that scene. :?

Tomahawk

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I recommended Shenandoah to my mom about two weeks ago (although I didn't mention it here).

Jimmy Stewart's character is one of my favorite in cinema.

It is a pro-liberty film, if not pro-gun, but I didn't mention it because I really feel that his daughter-in-law ought to have known where a gun was and defended herself. I feel like it loses pro-gun marks for that scene. :?
Yeah, I haven't watched it in a while, so I don't quite remember the details. Jimmy Steward rocks in that movie, but I don't think it's necessarily "pro-gun" except for the fact that pro-freedom = pro-gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Yeah, I haven't watched it in a while, so I don't quite remember the details. Jimmy Steward rocks in that movie, but I don't think it's necessarily "pro-gun" except for the fact that pro-freedom = pro-gun.
While we're on the subject of Jimmy Stewart and pro-gun movies, has anybody mentioned The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
While we're on the subject of Jimmy Stewart and pro-gun movies, has anybody mentioned The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?
Was that really pro-gun, or just the usual "not anti-gun" that most westerns of that era were? It was a great movie. Nothing like seeing Lee Marvin play the bad guy for a change. I love when John Wayne makes him pick up the steak. One of only two or three movies I actually like Wayne in.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Was that really pro-gun, or just the usual "not anti-gun" that most westerns of that era were? It was a great movie. Nothing like seeing Lee Marvin play the bad guy for a change. I love when John Wayne makes him pick up the steak. One of only two or three movies I actually like Wayne in.
Wayne spends a bit of energy trying to persuade Stewart that guns are necessary and that he needs one. Definitely pro-gun.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
While we're on the subject of Jimmy Stewart and pro-gun movies, has anybody mentioned The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Wayne spends a bit of energy trying to persuade Stewart that guns are necessary and that he needs one.  Definitely pro-gun.
I agree 110%.

That's why I mentioned it all the way back on page 1, post #2.

:)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
the Omega Man, Charlton Hestons finest......gotta love the Smith & Wesson M76 9mm Submachine gun...
I have yet to see this one, is it closer to the book? I enjoyed the remake with will smith although it was nothing like the book.