• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Movies

altajava

Newbie
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
228
Location
Occupied Virginia, USA
imported post

I have to suggest a western made about the same time as Quigley. Silverado. In the end, it was just a group of guys "doin what was right".
 

Tomahawk

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
5,121
Location
4 hours south of HankT, ,
imported post

Agree about The Brave One. That was really a subtle anti-gun movie. People who want to defend themselves are actually paranoid from trauma, they've had something awful happen to them and need counciling instead of guns, etc. Foster's character in the film was clearly supposed to make the audience feel uneasy with private gun ownership.

The philosophy issimilar to Falling Down, in that they both view the average Joe as someone who cannot be trusted, who is only a straw away from snapping, and who has to be controlled and restrained. The Brave One was a little more sympathetic to the individual, at least, since Foster's character didn't go completely nuts and had an excuse for being edgy.
 

Jonathon Sometimes

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
214
Location
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
imported post

I can't believe I forgot to mention Legends of the Fall! Don't want to give away the end to anyone that hasn't seen it, but Anthony Hopkins gets the Oscar for best use of a concealed shotgun. Ever.

:)
 

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

"History of Violence" is not exactly progun - bg retires and tries to go straight. Some of the best 1911 work along with realistic knife work - what makes it great IMO is how the movie ends.

Yata hey
 

smash29

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
263
Location
Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA
imported post

Johnny Sometimes wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention Legends of the Fall! Don't want to give away the end to anyone that hasn't seen it, but Anthony Hopkins gets the Oscar for best use of a concealed shotgun. Ever.

:)
Nice shotgun work but I love that lever-action too!

Warning: If you don't know of what Johnny speaks (how can you not?) don't watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtTEerjhCM&feature=related
 

Tomahawk

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
5,121
Location
4 hours south of HankT, ,
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
"History of Violence" is not exactly progun - bg retires and tries to go straight. Some of the best 1911 work along with realistic knife work - what makes it great IMO is how the movie ends.

Yata hey

Meh. That was one of the worst movies I ever paid to see. Vigo Mortenson as a Philly mobster? No frikkin way. And all that fancy weapons and martial arts stuff? Did he learn that in mobster training camp or something?
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
movies I ever paid to see. Vigo Mortenson as a Philly mobster? No frikkin way. And all that fancy weapons and martial arts stuff? Did he learn that in mobster training camp or something?
:lol:

I thought the same thing.
 

bohdi

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
1,754
Location
Centreville, Virginia, USA
imported post

I'm a fan of Boondock Saints/Mohicans as well. Also Army of Darkness, Lock, Stock, Two Smoking Barrels; and a bunch of others that probably aren't "pro-gun" depending on your views, lol. I'm not sure Way of the Gun, Snatch, 3000 Miles to Grace Land, Dusk Till Dawn, Young Guns or Tombstone will really qualify.
 

UtahJarhead

Regular Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
312
Location
Ogden, UT, ,
imported post

"I know what you're thinking— 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

"Hey, man... I gots to know!"

And nobody mentioned it! Why is it pro arms? He has a damn good explanation for why he uses a .44 magnum 'I've seen .38's careen right off of car windshields' and nobody ever ever ever blames the .44 Magnum for the reason for all of the death and destruction. It's always (undeservedly so!) Dirty Harry's fault.

All hail Dirty Harry!
 

crotalus01

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
104
Location
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
imported post

HBO had a made-for series that featured a character who open carried. And it was never brought up in the show that I recall, just whenever he was on screen he had a gun on his hip. Cant remember the name of the series though...
 

Agent1187

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
28
Location
NE Wyoming, ,
imported post

If you can get past the fact that it's a SciFi-Western (and no, there are no aliens!), the Firefly series and related movie Serenity fit that bill to a T. And it just goes to show that even in the future, everyone is still on their own in the face of a far reaching central government.
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
HBO had a made-for series that featured a character who open carried. And it was never brought up in the show that I recall, just whenever he was on screen he had a gun on his hip. Cant remember the name of the series though...
Interesting. Anybody have any idea?
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

Agent1187 wrote:
If you can get past the fact that it's a SciFi-Western (and no, there are no aliens!), the Firefly series and related movie Serenity fit that bill to a T.  And it just goes to show that even in the future, everyone is still on their own in the face of a far reaching central government. 
Good point. Apparently the creator of the show is not, but the main character is supposed to be a libertarian (by the creator's own account), and the whole show has quite that vibe. Quite a few good libertarian-inspired speeches are given by the main character, too. :)

Awesome show. The closest thing resembling libertarian television I've seen since South Park.

Great movie, too.
 

Tomahawk

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
5,121
Location
4 hours south of HankT, ,
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Agent1187 wrote:
If you can get past the fact that it's a SciFi-Western (and no, there are no aliens!), the Firefly series and related movie Serenity fit that bill to a T. And it just goes to show that even in the future, everyone is still on their own in the face of a far reaching central government.
Good point. Apparently the creator of the show is not, but the main character is supposed to be a libertarian (by the creator's own account), and the whole show has quite that vibe. Quite a few good libertarian-inspired speeches are given by the main character, too. :)

Awesome show. The closest thing resembling libertarian television I've seen since South Park.

Great movie, too.

Oh, how did I forget Serenity? Definitely one of the most pro-freedom and pro-gun movies.

I would pick Serenity over any cop movie anyday. Dirty Harry was pro-gun alright...for cops. For the submitizens of San Francisco, not so much.
 

UtahJarhead

Regular Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
312
Location
Ogden, UT, ,
imported post

Fair enough, about Dirty Harry.... (Still awesome movies!)

So I suppose that means Full Metal Jacket doesn't count...
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I would pick Serenity over any cop movie anyday. Dirty Harry was pro-gun alright...for cops. For the submitizens of San Francisco, not so much.
+1

I'm not one to give the guy much credit, but Roger Ebert made a valid point in his review of Dirty Harry.
 

MirkoCrocop

Regular Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
100
Location
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
imported post

I was really dissapointed when I was watching one of my fave sci-fi movies "Aliens" special features and sojourney weaver actually states in the weapons of aliens featurethat she hates the scenes where she kicks butt with the guns. I qoute she says "I dont like the feelingthat youget when you hold a gun. It makes you feellike you're invincible and nothing can stop you, and I feel like a hypocrite filming these gun scenes because I give a lot of money to gun control legislation"

I was so dissapointed in her:banghead:I felt like telling her just because she knows that deep down inside shes a sick twisted psycho doesnt mean its okay to assume that Im just like her because if she feels like shes invincible and would love to kill peoplethen I must be too.
 

Tomahawk

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
5,121
Location
4 hours south of HankT, ,
imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
I was really dissapointed when I was watching one of my fave sci-fi movies "Aliens" special features and sojourney weaver actually states in the weapons of aliens featurethat she hates the scenes where she kicks butt with the guns. I qoute she says "I dont like the feelingthat youget when you hold a gun. It makes you feellike you're invincible and nothing can stop you, and I feel like a hypocrite filming these gun scenes because I give a lot of money to gun control legislation"

I was so dissapointed in her:banghead:I felt like telling her just because she knows that deep down inside shes a sick twisted psycho doesnt mean its okay to assume that Im just like her because if she feels like shes invincible and would love to kill peoplethen I must be too.
You know, I could've lived a happy life without ever hearing that Sigourney Weaver is antigun....too bad. I wonder if she's anti-power loader?
 

Tomahawk

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
5,121
Location
4 hours south of HankT, ,
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
So I suppose that means Full Metal Jacket doesn't count...

Correct. There were no armed private citizens in that film, even though I loved it, so it doesn't fit the thread.

That said, I wasn't slamming Dirty Harry. I never read Ebert's review, but I like that movie. In fact there are plenty of cop/soldier/spy-with-a-gunmovies I love to watch, but that doesn't mean they are "pro-gun".

Maybe Terminator 2 was half pro-gun. Certainly Sarah Conner became a pro-gun person after the events of the first film turned her into a survivalist. In the recent TV show she and her son John Conner always had a stash of guns hidden somewhere. Knowing that a giant post-nuclear civil war against robots is coming soon altered her view. Even still, Ahnold has turned out to be a limp-wristed anti.
 
Top