• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange behaviour by ACPD Officer towards OCer, caught on film

mkl

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Who was following who?
I just don't get the part where the citizen manages to confront the cop in front of the apartment building. Was that building the cop's residence?

Somebody needs to explain to me how the two managed to rendezvous after the initial parking incident.

I know I would be concerned if an armed individual followed me back to my residence after a traffic incident.

I watched both videos (the 17min and the 5min). In one he shows a map, but knowing that area, the apartment complex is not where the cops car was parked. Pete walked away from where the incident took place (toward his house) On the way to his house, the cop parked his car and walked AWAY from his (the cop's) house, following Pete. Pete then stops, waits for the cop to walk up to him and has the talk in the video. Then Pete walks back to where the incident happend (back to the major street in that area) and the cop followed him. He then when down a small street around the corner, where the cop continued to follow. Pete then called a friend and a got a car home, as he felt the officer would keep following him to intimidate him.

"I know I would be concerned if an armed individual followed me back to my residence after a traffic incident."

Pete was concerned an armed individual was following him back to his residence. That armed individual happened to be a cop in this case.

Pete has enough credit with me, as while I don't him personally, I know his organization and I know other OC stories he has been involved with where he has acted with principal. I understand being skeptical, but for me between the two videos he has the answers to these questions.

razor_baghdad

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
The officer in question was held to the same standard as any other person parked illegally. He was told to move his car by the LT.
The lieutenant said he would have ticketed a citizen's private car for parking there, but he was not going to ticket the cop.

How is that the same standard?

As I can't seem to watch the vid again (work related), I'll not quote the Lt, but the same standard can be observed when an LEO 'asks'a citizen to move a/their car in lieu of receiving a ticket or giving a warning for a speeding violation.

If the Lt stated as you have said he stated, of course he would be wrong...

Again...Officer discretion...the LEO who parked the car didn't have much, but I'll not knock the Lt for his......:cool:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
The officer in question was held to the same standard as any other person parked illegally. He was told to move his car by the LT.
The lieutenant said he would have ticketed a citizen's private car for parking there, but he was not going to ticket the cop.

As I can't seem to watch the vid again (work related), I'll not quote the Lt, but the same standard can be observed when an LEO 'asks'a citizen to move a/their car in lieu of receiving a ticket or giving a warning for a speeding violation.

If the Lt stated as you have said he stated, of course he would be wrong...

Again...Officer discretion...the LEO who parked the car didn't have much, but I'll not knock the Lt for his......:cool:
I'll try to transcribe it for you:

citizen: Well, I mean I'm still curious why...if you happened to be rollin' by and had the time would you ticket a civilian's vehicle for parking in that no parking spot?

LT: Yeah, I probably would.

citizen: But you're not gonna ticket him because...

LT: Because I'm not gonna.

I hate double standards. That LT seemed to be very polite, extremely cooperative considering there was a man with a video camera in his face but then he has to set the double standard.

The other cop on the other hand just seems creepy as heck...

On the flip side, most people get irritated when they're called out for doing something wrong.

I didn't know that I lived in the wild west AKA "Southern Virginia". YEE HAW!

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:

As I can't seem to watch the vid again (work related), I'll not quote the Lt, but the same standard can be observed when an LEO 'asks'a citizen to move a/their car in lieu of receiving a ticket

[snip]
I would be surprised. No, dumbfounded, if you could produce one, just one incident where an officer sees an illegally parked non leo's (we are both citizen's/civilians) vehicle, gets the name and address, finds the person in question at their place of residence (I'm sure they called him too), and then asks them to move their vehicle instead of writing them a ticket.

Your argument has no application in this scenario, even ignoring the fact that the responding officer directly contradicts it by saying he would have given a citizen a ticket in the same situation (the video works fine for me).

wylde007

imported post

I can guarantee you it won't happen. My truck and trailer were ticketed in front of my own house. I came home late from a job engineering sound for a local band and parked in the street rather than trying to back my trailer into the driveway at 4 in the morning, which causes a god-awful noise because of the slope and the hitch dragging on the concrete.

Anyhow, my neighbor across the street saw the officer approach my vehicle and told him that I was probably home and would move the vehicle in lieu of a ticket. The officer ignored the suggestion. My neighbor knocked on my door and I came out and had an exchange with the officer. It went like this:

I can go ahead and move it (it was borderline "too close" to the intersection).

I'm sorry, I've already started writing the ticket.

After my neighbor told you I was home?

Yes.

This is my truck and my house and you're going to write me a ticket for parking in front of my own house?

That's right. You're parked within 20 feet of an intersection (a claim that to this day I regret not calling him on)

And you can't give me a warning and let me move my truck?

I've already started writing.

I couldn't make this up.:banghead:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde, you need to measure 20' and put an easily visible line of paint on the curb so you can show them the 'off limits' mark if you're in that situation again. That really sucks.

wylde007

imported post

Worse still, I'm a licensed surveyor.:cuss:

I parked in the street between my driveway and the corner so my wife wouldn't be blocked in. Now I park before the driveway. No more problem.

Still not a bad idea to mark it out... sometimes "undesirables" park up and down the street and I'd like ammunition to have the miscreants ticketed when their loud music wakes me up at 2 AM and I find their 40oz O.E. bottles in my yard.

richarcm

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
I think I've established myself as definitely not a cop basher, ProShooter, but I have to say that your response to this seems like you're bending over backwards, and then some, to search around to find some excuse for a cop breaking the law and getting away with it.

And this is exactly why they shouldn't break the laws that they are paid to enforce, even when it supposedly serves the greater good. If a LEO doesn't respect the law, why should a private citizen? If a LEO gets a pass for breaking the law, why should the private citizen respect LEOs or the law?
I clearly stated twice, that yes the car was parked illegally. I'm not denying that. I'm simply saying that perhaps there was a reason that we are unaware of. I think that my response was pretty "middle of the road". I never came out of the gate chastising anyone for cop-bashing. I can only draw from personal experience and say that I can think of reasons why it was done, if it was done for a criminal justice purpose. If the officer parked there just because he felt like parking illegally, then of course he should have been ticketed like anyone else. Without the officer stating his reason, we'll never really know the true answer. Not everything is as clear as it may appear to be on the face.

The reason stated as discussed by the two officers was that people in the complex were upset that the officers car was taking up a spot which I find to be unbelievable. The officer was not there on duty. He said that he lives in the complex. He parked so far away because he didn't feel like searching/waiting for a spot like the officer on the bike had to do.

The cop was wrong for parking illegally, wrong for chastizing the guy for OCing and wrong for following him.

I do not fault the guy with the camera for anything that he did. He did everything by the book and that he should have done. Nothing more or less provacative than we tell people who OC to do when confronted for OCing by an officer.

I applaud him and I still think that the officer was VERY creepy.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Not everything is as clear as it may appear to be on the face.
It's clear enough to the odd passer-by that LEOs can park in No Parking zones with no repercussions, but they'll get a ticket if they try it themselves.

Look, we're not going to convince each other. You have your position that they can be justified in breaking the law. I have my position that LEOs should hold themselves to a higher standard than that. I ain't budging, and I doubt you will, either.

So we agree to disagree, 'kay?
I wonder if ProShooter would be so inclined to look the other way if a cop broke the law to get something on him or a family member???

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
I wonder if ProShooter would be so inclined to look the other way if a cop broke the law to get something on him or a family member???

Your comment sir, is offensive. I have said repeatedly that if the officer parked there for no good reason, then ticket him. I also said that there may have been a legitimate reason beyond what we have seen that could justify parking there. Without that knowledge, I am not going to condemn the man. I would expect thatsomeone speeding aninjured child to the hospital in their private car wouldnt be ticketed for speeding as there is a greater cause to be seen. Its not always black and white.

Your insinuation that I am "looking the other way" in this case is downright rude, obnoxious and totally wrong. You know nothing about me, the man I am, or the way that I wore that badge for 12 years. When you have served on both sides of the fence, then make the accusation that I am covering for the cop. Until then, keep your "looking the other way nonsense" to yourself.

Ore

imported post

If you ask me, this OCer is a moron.

1. First of all, he DID NOT call about the squad car out of civic duty; he did it for the sole purpose of antagonizing the cops.

2. Secondly, the cops gave him no trouble about OCing. Even in the second encounter, the cop only gave his opinion; he didn't question the legality.

3. It's not clear to me whether the cop followed the OCer, or the OCer stalked the cop.

4. AND, if the cop did follow him, so what? You poke someone in the eye, you'd better expect that they're going to poke back.

This OCer tried to pick a fight and get it on video. He planned and hoped for a negative encounter with the police from the start. HE is the problem, and a perfect example of the type of person that makes the cops think we're all idiots. He's a big drama queen trying to play the poor victim. Grow Up, buddy!!

Aimed Nickel

imported post

I stopped it after he called the police department.

If things are going okay, the last thing you ever need to do is involve the police.

Whatever strange interaction this guy had was brought about by his own actions. That said, I fully support OC and would love to see more and more people doing it, but the kind of attitude displayed by this guy does nothing useful to further the cause.

I work for a local municipality and here's how "NO PARKING" zones work: it's city property, the cop is a city employee, the car is city property. The city can choose to keep it's stuff and people wherever it wants. At worst, the sign shop will come out and change NO PARKING to POLICE VEHICLES ONLY. I'm sure you've seen such signs before.

We have real problems, like Chet and Dan's harassment in Norfolk, to deal with without instigating things ourselves. I know whoever this guy was perfectly within his right to OC and question where the police vehicle was parked, but this interaction, for better or for worse, was his own fault.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Ore wrote:
If you ask me, this OCer is a moron.

1. First of all, he DID NOT call about the squad car out of civic duty; he did it for the sole purpose of antagonizing the cops.

2. Secondly, the cops gave him no trouble about OCing. Even in the second encounter, the cop only gave his opinion; he didn't question the legality.

3. It's not clear to me whether the cop followed the OCer, or the OCer stalked the cop.

4. AND, if the cop did follow him, so what? You poke someone in the eye, you'd better expect that they're going to poke back.

This OCer tried to pick a fight and get it on video. He planned and hoped for a negative encounter with the police from the start. HE is the problem, and a perfect example of the type of person that makes the cops think we're all idiots. He's a big drama queen trying to play the poor victim. Grow Up, buddy!!

Aimed Nickel wrote:
I stopped it after he called the police department. If things are going okay, the last thing you ever need to do is involve the police. Whatever strange interaction this guy had was brought about by his own actions. That said, I fully support OC and would love to see more and more people doing it, but the kind of attitude displayed by this guy does nothing useful to further the cause.

I work for a local municipality and here's how "NO PARKING" zones work: it's city property, the cop is a city employee, the car is city property. The city can choose to keep it's stuff and people wherever it wants. At worst, the sign shop will come out and change NO PARKING to POLICE VEHICLES ONLY. I'm sure you've seen such signs before.

We have real problems, like Chet and Dan's harassment in Norfolk, to deal with without instigating things ourselves. I know whoever this guy was perfectly within his right to OC and question where the police vehicle was parked, but this interaction, for better or for worse, was his own fault.

Very well said Ore and Aimed Nickel.......

I find it refreshing that 2 fairly new members see this video for what it really is - an attempt to poke a sleeping bear to see if they can turn it into an anti-OC situation.

W.E.G.

imported post

If the ACPD officer did in fact go out of his way to track down or "stalk" the guy who called-in the parking complaint, I have a real problem with that.

It would be nice to know for sure that it went down that way.

In any event, I don't feel as sorry as some for the guy who called-in the parking complaint. I think he went out of his way to call attention to himself, and in large part he is now complaining that he got that which was exactly what he sought. If the objective is to cast open-carry in a positive light, I can think of better ways to do it than we saw in this instance.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kenny wrote:
SNIP Ican see a Gomer Pyle type running around yelling, Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest.
Heyyy!!!

Watch it with that capital "C" there.

This is a triple whammy, too.

Either I'm being arrested.

Or, I'm making an arrest.

Or, I'm a Gomer Pyle type making an arrest. It don't help none that Pyle had USMC stenciled on his blouse like I once did.

Sheesh.

:)