• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westland, Michigan OC Event

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Venator wrote:
I can bring an air soft gun if anyone needs one. It's a nice Sig with a paddle holster.

I'm thinking no. There's more to it then this but I don't feel like researching it all right now.
Sec. 62-289. Transportation of [highlight= #f0e68c" id=hitstyle46>firearms.

(a)Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(1)Taken down.

(2)Enclosed in a case.

(3)Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(4)Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(b)Except as otherwise permitted by law, no person shall transport or have in his possession in any motor vehicle any pistol or facsimile of a firearm unless:

(1)It is unloaded in both the barrel and the magazine; and

(2)It is in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle, or if the vehicle has no trunk, in a place not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(Ord. No. 109-J-3, § 7, 1-4-10)[/quote]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
I can bring an air soft gun if anyone needs one. It's a nice Sig with a paddle holster.

I'm thinking no. There's more to it then this but I don't feel like researching it all right now.

(a)Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(1)Taken down.

(2)Enclosed in a case.

(b)Except as otherwise permitted by law, no person shall transport or have in his possession in any motor vehicle any pistol or facsimile of a firearm unless:

(2)It is in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle, or if the vehicle has no trunk, in a place not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(Ord. No. 109-J-3, § 7, 1-4-10)[/quote]

That applies to firearms, an air soft is not a firearm. If it is then preemption comes into play, if it is I would have to register it as a pistol and it would be covered under my CPL.They can't have it both ways.

Besides the ordinance applies to transporting it. I can transport it lawfully and then OC it it on me in the park.

dougwg

imported post

Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:

(1)Taken down.

(2)Enclosed in a case.

(b)Except as otherwise permitted by law, no person shall transport or have in his possession in any motor vehicle any pistol [b]or facsimile of a firearm[/b] unless:

(Ord. No. 109-J-3, § 7, 1-4-10)

That applies to firearms, an air soft is not a firearm. If it is then preemption comes into play, if it is I would have to register it as a pistol and it would be covered under my CPL.They can't have it both ways.

Besides the ordinance applies to transporting it. I can transport it lawfully and then OC it it on me in the park.
bolded... but like I said...THERE"S MORE TO IT

Venator

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:

(1)Taken down.

(2)Enclosed in a case.

(b)Except as otherwise permitted by law, no person shall transport or have in his possession in any motor vehicle any pistol [b]or facsimile of a firearm[/b] unless:

(Ord. No. 109-J-3, § 7, 1-4-10)

bolded... but like I said...THERE"S MORE TO IT

Even so It's about transporting in a vehicle and there is an exemption even for facsimiles. I guess I need toread the statutes definition of a facsimile.

One definition is an EXACT copy. Air softs are close but not exact copies of guns.

Main Entry: fac·sim·i·le[/b]
Pronunciation: \fak-ˈsi-mə-lē\
Function: noun[/i]
Etymology: Latin fac simile[/i] make similar
Date: 1691
1[/b] :[/b] an exact copy2[/b] :[/b] a system of transmitting and reproducing graphic matter (as printing or still pictures) by means of signals sent over telephone lines

SpringerXDacp

imported post

If in fact AirSoft pistols are not considered firearms (I believe they are not) they would not be covered by 123.1102 (Preemption Law), therefore, the AirSoft pistols would be subject to any and all ordinances pertaining to the pistol. Local ordinances have their own definition of firearms that differ from State and Federal laws.

This is where Sec. 62-289 that Doug provided comes into play for transportation, IMO. In other words, the pistol would need to be transported the same if it was actually a firearm where a LTP, CPL is required for purchase and the pistol registration, again, IMO.

dougwg

imported post

Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:

blah
blah

blah

I would suggest not, but as always, we are free to do as we please.

I'm not sure on the legalities of a stupid airsoft gun at a park in Wasteland.

The only point I'm trying to make is that if a person was planning on carrying one they better check into the law and make DAMN SURE before doing it.

Brian, your post might be read by some as "no problem, go for it" and if you missed something it could wind the person with the fax gun in hot water, and for what?

Venator

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:

blah
blah

blah

The only point I'm trying to make is that if a person was planning on carrying one they better check into the law and make DAMN SURE before doing it.

Brian, your post might be read by some as "no problem, go for it" and if you missed something it could wind the person with the fax gun in hot water, and for what?
As you state people are free to do as they wish. But if the ordinance you post is the only one, then it deals with transporting in a vehicle. If an air gun is a facsimile then as long as you transport it as described in the ordinance then you would seem to be lawful. But as always these are my opinions and IANAL.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:

blah
blah

blah

As you state people are free to do as they wish. But if the ordinance you post is the only one, then it deals with transporting in a vehicle. If an air gun is a facsimile then as long as you transport it as described in the ordinance then you would seem to be lawful. But as always these are my opinions and IANAL.
I vote leave them at home the last thing we need is an underage kid that APPEARS to be carrying.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
I vote leave them at home the last thing we need is an underage kid that APPEARS to be carrying.
Your making assumptions. But thanks for the vote even though the polls were closed.
How is it an assumption?
If I see someone who appears to be underage, with a holster on their hip with a gun in it I would be concerned.
How would I know it is an airsoft?

It's an open forum if you suggest something everyone has a right to give their opinions even if the all powerful says the polls are closed.

From what I have gathered in your posts is that you do not like to be second guessed or challenged, and that is perfectly ok in some areas, because you are right very frequently, but when you suggest bringing airsoft guns for underage kids to OC then you are going to get mixed responses

Venator

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Your making assumptions. But thanks for the vote even though the polls were closed.
How is it an assumption?
If I see someone who appears to be underage, with a holster on their hip with a gun in it I would be concerned.

It's an open forum if you suggest something everyone has a right to give their opinions even if the all powerful says the polls are closed.

From what I have gathered in your posts is that you do not like to be second guessed or challenged, and that is perfectly ok in some areas, because you are right very frequently, but when you suggest bringing airsoft guns for underage kids to OC then you are going to get mixed responses
Your mistaken assumption was that the air soft would be carried by someone under 18. Aaaah see what I mean?

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
How is it an assumption?

Your mistaken assumption was that the air soft would be carried by someone under 18. Aaaah see what I mean?

ONly based on previous actions, meant no harm

Venator

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Venator wrote:
Beerme wrote:
How is it an assumption?

ONly based on previous actions, meant no harm

No worries.

Making assumptions based on past actions is logical and can be a useful scientific tool, it's called a hypothesis. BUT not all future actions can be predicted with absolute certainty. The more consistent the past actions have been replicated (repeated)the better the certainty, but making an assumption on ONE action...well you can see where that can lead one.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

I cant bring a grill in my car if one were to bring hamburger and buns how much would be recomended?
on a tight budget I can bring a bunch of buns but I cant afford a lot of meat

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Beerme wrote:
I cant bring a grill in my car if one were to bring hamburger and buns how much would be recomended?
You can get a 12-pack of 1/4 lb burgers plus the buns for about $10. SuperTrucker is bringing a bunch of hotdogs and buns so a 12-pack of burgers will probably be enough.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Beerme wrote:
You can get a 12-pack of 1/4 lb burgers plus the buns for about $10. SuperTrucker is bringing a bunch of hotdogs and buns so a 12-pack of burgers will probably be enough.
kk ill do that