• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

one of us? open carry at dui checkpoint

turborich

So let me get this correct. Your camera and or memory card came up missing while your vehicle was in impound or police custody, Is this correct?

Yard Sale

"It went missing" is one way of looking at it. Also missing is the notebook I used to document the deficiencies in the roadblock.

Another way of looking at it is saying it was stolen by a sworn officer of the law. I had a less obvious camera recording events and they neglected to notice it and steal it. I used to think that after I made a portion of this video public the thief would eat his gun, or at least come forward with some BS story about how he took it for evidence but his dog ate it. But I have since learned that these people have no shame for what they have done and they have absolutely no local accountability. The city attorney and the judge will bend over backwards to get them out of trouble.

turborich

Your camera somehow ended up missing and from reading the court documents it appears that they are going to do whatever they want. I'm not sure about you but I don't need the hassle and possible jail time or convection on my record. Although I personally wouldn't consider doing something like this I do wish you the best at fighting this in court. I'm assuming that you are fighting these charges on your own without a lawyer?

turborich

The system counts on people like you.

No, I totally understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. I've read through these forums quite extensively and see that folks like "the big guy" are doing very good things for open carry rights in NV. I understand that you are trying to do the same thing.

This is all that I'm saying. I wouldn't purposely go through a check point just to raise a fuss and prove a point. I remember when I was younger (16-20 years old) I would be pulled over quite often, the reason I was given was that my vehicle looked suspicious. I knew it was a BS line of crap but was was I going to do? I was a young kid and didn't want to get taken to jail. Each time the police wanted to search my vehicle for either drugs or other suspicious items. I always told them NO. I always held my ground on this until 3 or 4 cops showed up and they started threatening with calling out the dog that would rip my seats up or taking me to jail for not complying. I got sick and tired of it and would just say OK. Each time they would ask why I didn't want them to search my vehicle when they found nothing in it. I would tell them because it's my personal property. One of the officers told me that I was being stopped most likely because I was young and was driving a "high profile vehicle" I guess it attracted attention or something?

Another time I was pulled over by the meanest biker cop that you could ever imagine. I did NOTHING wrong to be stopped. He claimed that my brake lights didn't work which was 100% false. I tried to show him that they work and he threatened to beat my ass if I didn't shut the F**K UP! At this point I shut up, took the ticket and drove to the closest sub station where I showed the desk sergeant that my lights did in fact operate. He signed the ticket off for me.

Another time I was the passenger in a friends vehicle when he was pulled over for no reason that was ever given. This cop searched my friends vehicle which was an old Datsun truck. If you recall the older trucks had the heater hoses exposed under the dash in plain sight. The cop must has got upset that there was nothing illegal in the truck, The jerk sliced his heater hose with a knife. When we drove away and the water pump started going we saw the freshly sliced hose and there was antifreeze spraying out.

Another time I was kicked in the ribs so hard that I couldn't breath for at least 30 seconds and thought I was going to suffocate. I got pretty mouthy with the wrong cop I guess. If it were to happen today I would sue Metro for everything that I could get. I was young and afraid of going to jail or worse.

BTW: I was free to leave after all of these incidents.

I understand what you are trying to do, However I also understand how there is a small number of cops who will ruin your day really fast. I think that the police have gotten better over the years and I honestly believe they do a dangerous and unappreciated job. I have nothing but respect for the good ones. There are always the few bad ones that I don't need an encounter with. I think that you are finding this out first hand.

Like I said before, I wish you the very best.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'll bet that recorder is looking better and better.

They are more useful for some people and situations than others. You'd be rich now if you had one back then. Well, not rich, but you'd have had your share of taxpayer-paid lawsuit settlements.

Cops do a dangerous job? Care to guess where they fall on the list of dangerous jobs?

You were free to go afterward BECAUSE there were illegal stops, not in spite of the stop.

Last edited:

usmcmustang

No, I totally understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. I've read through these forums quite extensively and see that folks like "the big guy" are doing very good things for open carry rights in NV. I understand that you are trying to do the same thing.

This is all that I'm saying. I wouldn't purposely go through a check point just to raise a fuss and prove a point. I remember when I was younger (16-20 years old) I would be pulled over quite often, the reason I was given was that my vehicle looked suspicious. I knew it was a BS line of crap but was was I going to do? I was a young kid and didn't want to get taken to jail. Each time the police wanted to search my vehicle for either drugs or other suspicious items. I always told them NO. I always held my ground on this until 3 or 4 cops showed up and they started threatening with calling out the dog that would rip my seats up or taking me to jail for not complying. I got sick and tired of it and would just say OK. Each time they would ask why I didn't want them to search my vehicle when they found nothing in it. I would tell them because it's my personal property. One of the officers told me that I was being stopped most likely because I was young and was driving a "high profile vehicle" I guess it attracted attention or something?

Another time I was pulled over by the meanest biker cop that you could ever imagine. I did NOTHING wrong to be stopped. He claimed that my brake lights didn't work which was 100% false. I tried to show him that they work and he threatened to beat my ass if I didn't shut the F**K UP! At this point I shut up, took the ticket and drove to the closest sub station where I showed the desk sergeant that my lights did in fact operate. He signed the ticket off for me.

Another time I was the passenger in a friends vehicle when he was pulled over for no reason that was ever given. This cop searched my friends vehicle which was an old Datsun truck. If you recall the older trucks had the heater hoses exposed under the dash in plain sight. The cop must has got upset that there was nothing illegal in the truck, The jerk sliced his heater hose with a knife. When we drove away and the water pump started going we saw the freshly sliced hose and there was antifreeze spraying out.

Another time I was kicked in the ribs so hard that I couldn't breath for at least 30 seconds and thought I was going to suffocate. I got pretty mouthy with the wrong cop I guess. If it were to happen today I would sue Metro for everything that I could get. I was young and afraid of going to jail or worse.

BTW: I was free to leave after all of these incidents.

I understand what you are trying to do, However I also understand how there is a small number of cops who will ruin your day really fast. I think that the police have gotten better over the years and I honestly believe they do a dangerous and unappreciated job. I have nothing but respect for the good ones. There are always the few bad ones that I don't need an encounter with. I think that you are finding this out first hand.

Like I said before, I wish you the very best.

Bad cops… Good cops… they are all cops. They intimidate, subjugate, and attempt to control… that’s what their training instills in them… ALL of them. Some of them become unhinged when the citizen they’re dealing with is knowledgeable about personal, constitutionally guaranteed rights, like those enumerated in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 4[SUP]th[/SUP], and 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendments. Cops… all cops… don’t particularly take kindly to an encounter with such a citizen. It threatens their “authority” and once that is threatened, Katy bar the door. So, one can cherry pick just what Amendment is most important and be a supporter of that particular Amendment… like those on here who support ONLY the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment. Wait a minute… I do believe most on this forum support all our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and take affirmative action in their support. Sometimes that has meant direct confrontation with cops when the cops are in the WRONG. Without that direct confrontation, NO amount of “support” is gonna change things. So, that’s all I gotta say about that.

turborich

I'll bet that recorder is looking better and better.

They are more useful for some people and situations than others. You'd be rich now if you had one back then. Well, not rich, but you'd have had your share of taxpayer-paid lawsuit settlements.

Cops do a dangerous job? Care to guess where they fall on the list of dangerous jobs?

You were free to go afterward BECAUSE there were illegal stops, not in spite of the stop.

Yes, I understand that they were illegal stops. I just didn't know about how to stand my ground without getting into further trouble. Like I said, I was just a young kid back then and felt intimidated by several police officers and their threats.

wrightme

Yes, I understand that they were illegal stops. I just didn't know about how to stand my ground without getting into further trouble. Like I said, I was just a young kid back then and felt intimidated by several police officers and their threats.

The people you are speaking to in this thread, are working to change that, for those who were/are just like you. (for whatever reason).

It appears that in just about each anecdote you share, you were 'profiled' for some reason, and illegally detained. Most likely, because those LE have learned that they CAN do that and get away with it, and also, that they get enough 'good stop' arrests to make it worth it. Or, they just enjoyed it.

Those who do NOT accept that behavior, to the point of fighting it in court instead of complying, are trying to CHANGE what you experienced in the past.

turborich

The people you are speaking to in this thread, are working to change that, for those who were/are just like you. (for whatever reason).

It appears that in just about each anecdote you share, you were 'profiled' for some reason, and illegally detained. Most likely, because those LE have learned that they CAN do that and get away with it, and also, that they get enough 'good stop' arrests to make it worth it. Or, they just enjoyed it.

Those who do NOT accept that behavior, to the point of fighting it in court instead of complying, are trying to CHANGE what you experienced in the past.

I am seeing this now. At first I didn't quite understand and honestly thought that he was purposely trying to get the officers fired up because that will never end well. It's been a long time since I've had a run in with the police and I'd like to keep it that way.

Yard Sale

I just spoke to the evidence technician at Sparks PD. They won't give me back my pistol unless I give them some personal information. Which they already have. It seems they want to do a Brady check.

What to do?

Vegassteve

I just spoke to the evidence technician at Sparks PD. They won't give me back my pistol unless I give them some personal information. Which they already have. It seems they want to do a Brady check.

What to do?

Well I think that would be a bit like this. When I have taken guns and put them on consignment, if I wanted the gun back I would have had to do a check. Now that was because the gun was put on the books. So I can see how it would apply for a store. Not sure about the gov stealing it though. Maybe a NRS on this? I will start searching.

Vegassteve

What to do?

Oh maybe right off the bat ask for NRS that applies to that?