• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Hevymetal

I am not sure about what you said about "no one cared". There was a hysterical woman on WTCM this morning freaking out about a man open carrying around town. Probably, you.

Dunno I was up at TC too with the wife at the cherry festival Sat and I OCed all over the festival and the city as well.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am not sure about what you said about "no one cared". There was a hysterical woman on WTCM this morning freaking out about a man open carrying around town. Probably, you.

With the festival going on, I'm sure there are a number of OCers up there from all over the state and country.

But was she really hysterical or are you using hyperbole?

Michigander

In my experience these so called hysterical folks are actually angry that a person had the unmitigated gall to carry a firearm.

My very worst solo incident, which was in 2009, started I believe because I had on a fleece vest, a video camera around my neck, and wrap around sun glasses that people described as making me look like I thought I was real cool. Many here probably know the type, AO safety sun glasses. Some hysterical lady called 911 on me, I guess because I didn't fit her preconditioned idea of what a safe and responsible gun carrier would look like, and after one obnoxiously long and illegal felony stop, another lady flipped out again when they gave me my gun back.

How much of this had to do with whether or not I was mistaken for a cop or security guard by someones brain lapsing and telling them in other circumstances a polo short and jeans could be a cop outfit, I don't know. But I do know that for me, attire plays just as big of a role as anything.

Now that the cops have mostly stopped showing, I'm not sure how important it is. The opinions of those who flip out is largely trivial to me, because I have little if any interest in attempting to convert those who aren't pro CC or at least on the fence about carrying.

autosurgeon

Well said Michigander!

I OCed at the barber shop today and may have two new members for my gun club as a result. The Lady that cuts my hair informed me that the little skinny guy that was in there the last time I was there a month ago became a real problem after I left and she almost had to use her pepper spray on him. It would seem my gun or presence was keeping him in line but that once I left he thought he could hit on her and make inappropriate comments. It is of note that there were other men in the store and they did nothing when she was harassed :banghead:.

I also OCed in the Panel Room for lunch with no issues as usual!

Both are located in Hartford MI!

Oh and I also found she is looking into getting her CPL and wanted to know if I though a Glock 19 would be a good carry gun. I said as long as she is willing to dress around it she should have no problem. She said that would be fine as she has a scrub jacket on in the shop anyway. I suggested a Kydex OWB holster for CC under her scrub jacket.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

OC'd today at Ihop on West Road in Woodhaven for a birthday lunch for my step-daughter with my step-son (who was also armed but CC'ing) and wife. No comments or looks, as it should be. Got back home, and my step-son came over too. My brother in law also stopped by and he was armed also. Well protected house today :lol:

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

While this is not about me OCing I think you guys will appreciate this. I went to Wrigley Field to see a Cubs game a couple of days ago. When I was walking to my seat (about an hour before the game started) there was an ATF agent with a dog walking around. Being the guy I am I looked to see the gun/holster combo. He was carrying a Glock but the holster disappointed me. He had it in a nylon holster that has a place to put a spare magazine right on it. I don't know why someone like that would carrying in a nylon holster in the first place.

Last edited:

Michigander

There are 4 types of people I know of that use that kind of holster. Novice OCers, idiots, people who can't afford anything better, and those who normally conceal but have a rare need to OC. I bet he's one who normally carries concealed. The ATF doesn't normally have a huge number of times they have to draw down on someone, and I can imagine that he rarely if ever needs to use force.

But still, at a stadium? If I were him, and didn't have a safariland handy, I'd have been mexi CCing, and probably with an empty chamber since it's a Glock. That many people, and I'm gonna want at least level 3 retention to be OCing.

Truckdriver1975

Went to the OC picnic at Birchfield Park with the wife and kids. We didn't know anyone but it was nice to not be the only person OCing for a change. To those that came over and chatted with us it was nice meeting you. Our son found a fellow video gamer and our daughter waited patiently for some time on the playground on the way out. Over all, it was a good experience.

Scotchman

Church Carry - more irrational fear!

My family visited a new church 2 weeks ago. I OC'd to morning service as well as Wednesday and a friday teen night event for my kids. Then again to the men's breakfast saturday morning.... I had nothing but positive interactions from the members and my kids heard nothing but "Cool" from the other kids and found that most of them had BB-guns and such.

Then after the Sat breakfast, that is when the pastor squeezed me in 3 minutes before the deacons meeting to tell me "someone was scared by seeing the grip-on-the-hip. Irrational I Know!

We talked for a few as I tried to explain. he was amiable but unmoved. Would not tell me who my "accuser" was (some generic paranoid?!). I was honestly surprised. I asked if he could guarantee my family's safety and he let me know he has ex-leos on "board" that would sit down next to anyone with an exposed gun and tackle them if they tried anything.

Ignorance is bliss for some. As that is not how real-world criminals work and why we should always be alert. they do not wear orange jumpsuits!

Shame is, this is a really good church short of one elder (whom I believe is the real cause here). I just took my kids to a b'day party for the pastors daughter. All went well there too. I am trying hard to win them over and be patient. I challenged him to consider meeting regularly to discuss it as he originally said that it was simply because I was new and they could not trust me yet (again that is irrational, I know). Yet none of his ex-leos are trusted enough to carry yet?

I am hoping for a change in CPL law or the hearts of He who pulls the strings. Other than this one issue the church doctrine in all other areas that matter to me are as close to perfect as I could hope for.

So although I am disappointed I am not surprised. America is in SAAAAAAD sheep/shape!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
OCd at Birchfield today for the meeting and picnic. It was great meeting many of you for the first time and also seeing many of the people that have been ocing for years.
After the meeting backenj and I took his daughter over to the swimming area so that she could swim for a while; nobody seemed to care.
Later in the evening I went to the Hudsonville BP convenience store. As I was looking for some allergy medication, an Ottawa County Deputy walked in and walked over to the cashier. On his way over, he stopped next to me, looked at me and my pistol, then continued to walk to the cashier. I heard him ask her if everything was ok, she said she was fine, and then said "He's got a gun". I looked up as the deputy walked by, and he said, "Oh, he's one of those guys that think, "Look at me, I've got a gun" I continued to ignore him as I looked through the over-the-counter medicines. As he walked out the door, he turned and asked her if she wanted me to leave, to which she responded "No, he's alright". I looked up at the cop and just rolled my eyes. After he left, she told me that a store nearby might have what I'm looking for. I thanked her and exited. The LEO was sitting in his suv and watched me as I got in my car. He then followed me until I turned off to my residential street.

Last edited:

Billy

Re: Church Carry - More Irrational Fear

Greetings Scotchman ~

Consider giving me a shout via Private Message (PM). I'll be happy to share some sound doctrine and of my own experience that may be of some assistance to you.

Take care, sir...

Respectfully,
Billy

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
OCd at Birchfield today for the meeting and picnic. It was great meeting many of you for the first time and also seeing many of the people that have been ocing for years.
After the meeting backenj and I took his daughter over to the swimming area so that she could swim for a while; nobody seemed to care.
Later in the evening I went to the Hudsonville BP convenience store. As I was looking for some allergy medication, an Ottawa County Deputy walked in and walked over to the cashier. On his way over, he stopped next to me, looked at me and my pistol, then continued to walk to the cashier. I heard him ask her if everything was ok, she said she was fine, and then said "He's got a gun". I looked up as the deputy walked by, and he said, "Oh, he's one of those guys that think, "Look at me, I've got a gun" I continued to ignore him as I looked through the over-the-counter medicines. As he walked out the door, he turned and asked her if she wanted me to leave, to which she responded "No, he's alright". I looked up at the cop and just rolled my eyes. After he left, she told me that a store nearby might have what I'm looking for. I thanked her and exited. The LEO was sitting in his suv and watched me as I got in my car. He then followed me until I turned off to my residential street.
i think the cop must have meant to say "another one of those guys, like me that carries a gun..."

Last edited:

papa bear

SCOTSMAN did you cite to him John 22;36-38. it was Jesus's order's to arm yourself

DR.TODD i have been known to pull over and if they come up to the car is there something i can help you with. this has been known to shock some of them

Scotchman

OC/CC in Churches.

SCOTSMAN did you cite to him 22;36-38. it was Jesus's order's to arm yourself

Yes, to none-effect. With help from Billy, I hope to prepare some material to leave with him. Multiple people at this church have CPLs but are not allowed to carry 'cause of one panicky elder! Panic being the real term for Irrational Fear. I have OCd at a number of outdoor church activities so far and only have had good results. but then again, this particular Elder was not there....

Truckdriver1975

OCd at Sophia's in Grand Ledge for breakfast. The staff are used to seeing my sidearm and never bat an eye. As I got up to go pay the bill a couple with a baby a couple booths away got an eye full. The lady's eyes got wide. Her mouth hung open. She seemed to be holding her breath as she slid closer to her baby and farther from me. I thought about assuring her that I was not a threat to her or her baby but I figured she'd scream if I even started to speak. I just pretended not to notice her. I paid and then sat on the bench by the cash register while my wife cleaned my daughter up in the restroom. The poor lady probably thought there was a robbery in progress. I almost felt bad for her. I can't imagine what kind of Brady Bunch Kool-aide she must have been drinking to see me sitting there interacting with my wife and daughter as well as a couple waitresses and even the manager at one point and then be paralyzed with fear by the sight of a pistol that was there all along.

Grutte Pier

my first accidental OC experience.

Lately I OC everywhere I go, I started that a few months ago, until then I always concealed: mostly due to the fact I was not familiar with OC laws.
I have not been stopped as of yet, except a few years ago I was CC carrying in the mall on 44th street in GR.
While picking up my 2 yr old grand daughter my shirt rode up and exposed my gun for a brief second, long enough for another kid to spot it and tell her mom.
After a while 2 state cops showed up and stopped me, asking me if I was carrying a gun, I affirmed that and they asked if I had a CPL, needless to say I was a bit panicked because I did not know if OC was legal, but apparently it was, as soon as they confirmed me owning a CPL they told me they where called by the mother who was spooked but that I was ok to carrie on.
If it's a pointless story I'm sorry, just something that stuck by me and taught it might be of some help in case anyone wonders if OC or CC in a shopping mall is legal.

lil_freak_66

i know a guy out that way that had the same experience and hesitance to OC that he has told me about.frits, is that you?

basically with a CPL, anywhere you can legally conceal carry...you can legally open carry.

today OC'd around the apartment complex while grilling