• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Durand Railroad Days event.

autosurgeon

imported post

Frank Bernz wrote:
I think the warren picnic is getting better plannig. Even the moc president is going there instead of this moc event Just saying.
What I don't understand Frank is why you are being so negative right off the bat? And please don't take what I am about to say personally.

Planning events is always a bit of a crap shoot as the weather and other things beyond our control can conspire to derail (no pun intended) our events.

As Lil said this was originally intended to be an informal go OC enjoy railroad days and meet up event. It was suggested at some point that we should have a booth... when communication broke down on the part of the Railroad days festival... well we were left with few options.

I would suggest that before nitpicking others event planning skills you might want to try organizing an event yourself...

When some of the guys who have done several events have an opinion I find it much easier to take even if it is negative BC I know they have walked the walk.

Mike is quite good at organizing events .. he also has political contacts and campaign experience... all of which make him a good events organizer. Not all of us will be drawing on the same levels of experience but as far as I am concerned any event where people are educated is a good event.

Shoot I have worked festivals by myself over here in SW MI and handed out hundreds of trifolds. Was I disappointed when no one else showed up? NOPE I enjoy interacting with the public and educating folks. I also learned that even one OCer by themselves can make a difference.

mikestilly

imported post

And theres nothing wrong with that at all. Just like manning a booth. You dont always need a huge crowd and you can still make a good impact by socializing with the public and passing out materials. Some of the best opportunaties to educate people can be as simple as a booth with a couple people in the middle of an event in which nobody would expect to see someone open carrying.

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
And theres nothing wrong with that at all. Just like manning a booth. You dont always need a huge crowd and you can still make a good impact by socializing with the public and passing out materials. Some of the best opportunaties to educate people can be as simple as a booth with a couple people in the middle of an event in which nobody would expect to see someone open carrying.
+1

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Talked with Jeff last night. We are waiting to hear if we can set up at the "official" siteby Friday. The back-up is there is a park nearby where I will have a canopy/table set up with a banner and flyers if we don't get a space for the festival. If people want they can mingle in the park and then go to the activities for the festival.

I need to get a banner/flyers from Cabman and will be working on this. I was hoping lil' freak could pick them up from Cabman in Mason or something.

I just need to know what time to start setting up at the park. Otherwise I will be there around 11:00 am. Always can use help setting up.:)

This is an informal get-together as it is More of an informational activity than a picnic.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i was gonna get ahold of cabman about them,but then it came to my attention that i had to come out last night,or not at all.

i can pass out fliers tomorrow also if anyone is interested in coming out then too

brian,11 works just fine for me,ill probably try and get out there by 10 actually.

oh,they do have a parade on saturday,and if we get a spot at the park,we would be in a prime location,and i think i know a good spot,just south of the library in this little entrance way to the park,its right off the street and runs parallel with the parade route.

B

Bikenut

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
Any word on the table, Warchild, any chance I can get a +1 on your lunch downtown if it's on saturday? where at?
Warchild doesn't know it yet but Yooperlady and I extended an invitation to some friends to join us for lunch. The fellow has OC'ed only once so far.... but I'm still not sure they are going to show up.

Oh.. I guess Warchild knows now.. or will when he reads this. Don't worry Warchild, I told them it was Dutch Treat... :)

WARCHILD

imported post

Not to worry, the more the merrier.
I had some issues come that I have to deal with. Can't make it to Durand to scope out the local eateries, so lets just meet up downtown and pick a place from there.

I won't be hard to find, look for a black hat with a gun attached. :p
I may or may not have my wife with me...no decision yet... females!:uhoh:

See you all at noon on Sat. :celebrate:celebrate

lil_freak_66

imported post

high 65 and mostly sunny now! should be a pretty decent day.

they will have helicopter,and fair rides for anybody interested in bringing the family.

i am heading out there now to pick a few spots that will be high traffic,easy to get to,and in a legal location(i.e. public property)

if i remember to,i will take pics of the places to give everyone a visual cue.

Frank Bernz

Banned
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Not to worry, the more the merrier.
I had some issues come that I have to deal with. Can't make it to Durand to scope out the local eateries, so lets just meet up downtown and pick a place from there.

I won't be hard to find, look for a black hat with a gun attached. :p
I may or may not have my wife with me...no decision yet... females!:uhoh:

See you all at noon on Sat. :celebrate:celebrate
Where abouts downtown?

lil_freak_66

imported post

they DO sell alcohol,as does the ironhorse which is right next door.

the table is being setup at the park(saginaw st. and monroe st i believe)

lil_freak_66

imported post

last minute bump.

trumble park 11am meet up time,im sure some of us will be there all day perhaps.

if nobody is at park,head toward the carnival rides and look there.