• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KimberGuy is at it again!!!!

xraygil1

imported post

Ladies and getleman- There are by far more long guns openly carried in Michigan than there will ever be handguns. During the hunting season I see people carring rifles everywhere. Most slung over the shoulder, but quite often just held in the hand. It's just not that big a deal in many places. I support both, and it's legal. Until the name of this site is changed to pistol opencarry.org I would think that anyone who is a member here should support the LAW as it stands and not let trolls use this as a devisive issue. Have a nice day!:lol:

mikestilly

imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
     Ladies and getleman- There are by far more long guns openly carried in Michigan than there will ever be handguns.  During the hunting season I see people carring rifles everywhere. Most slung over the shoulder, but quite often just held in the hand. It's just not that big a deal in many places. I support both, and it's legal.  Until the name of this site is changed to pistol opencarry.org I would think that anyone who is a member here should support the LAW as it stands and not let trolls use this as a devisive issue.  Have a nice day!:lol:

+1

cscitney87

imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
Ladies and getleman- There are by far more long guns openly carried in Michigan than there will ever be handguns. During the hunting season I see people carring rifles everywhere. Most slung over the shoulder, but quite often just held in the hand. It's just not that big a deal in many places. I support both, and it's legal. Until the name of this site is changed to pistol opencarry.org I would think that anyone who is a member here should support the LAW as it stands and not let trolls use this as a devisive issue. Have a nice day!:lol:
Grew up in Metro Detroit and spent to much time in Harbor Beach, tip of the thumb, fishing for salmon every Fall. Spent equal time in the Upper Peninsula. There is a lot of emotion in this thread and there is a lot of argument as well. So I wanted to highlight this poster's sentiment- in regards to carrying long guns- it's very popular in Michigan. It's not very popular in Metro-Detroit. It's also not very popular in other larger metro areas, but that's fine. That's a relatively small area- compared to the enormous size of Michigan. Let's not forget that any laws pertaining to the LP also pertain to the UP- not many posters here from the UP in ratio with posters from the LP. The UP is a completely different lifestyle. It's a different way of thinking. It's like the Wild Wild West up there so to speak. Nobody cares about anybody doing anything- specially not openly carrying a gun of any type. Everybody minds their business and that's how life is lived. I can say the same for the majority of the LP outside of the metro areas.

So not really saying much but I am saying that Michiganders need to support each other and most importantly keep in mind we don't all live in the metro area. We do need to support all forms of legal open carry.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

firefighterSTFD22 wrote:
Okay Mr. Selective Memory T Vance:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/37570.html

As YOU stated; Mike is the co-founder of Open Caryr.org. Mike stated in post above that ....

"if were my restaurant I would have kicked the bunch out too - just where and how are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?

Come on folks, we've said it before - open carry is about normalizing gun ownership through properly holstered open carry of handguns"

So here is what is understood to be what the owners of this forum believe to be the PROPER way to promote open carry.

Well, OK, but there's no need to be so shrill about it - open carry is the analog to concealed carry - both pertain to properly holstered handguns so the only real reason to use the term "open carry" is as applied to handguns.
Open carry compliments concealed carry - and now that open carry has gone quasi-mainstream, it has made concealed carry arguably mainstream - this is a publicity war folks in which we are attempting to mainstream gun ownership and carry - we are successful because at the end of the day our opponents cannot really come up with any good reason why open carry should be banned when concealed carry is legal - they would have to stand by basically a "see no evil" or "ostrich head in sand" policy justification which makes no sense.

Let's be honest - the Heller decision saved handgun ownership by holding that a handgun ban is not constitutional just because the government let's people own long guns - open carry of properly holstered handguns is a political way to cement that holding into place for the future.

Long guns are just "carried" as there really is no practical concealed/open distinction as a practical matter. As everybody pretty much recognizes, there is a huge practical difference between carrying properly holstered handguns in urban public places, especially inside buildings, and carrying long guns in such locales (e.g., no trigger guard covering, no holster retention, issue with muzzle sweeps, etc).

But I look forward to folks establishing a web site called something like LongGun Carry.org - they could have discussions about long gun carry, and have maps showing state laws re things like rifle racks in cars, etc., what states ban or require registration of scary looking rifles, etc. This would be a great resource for gun rights - in fact their focus could be on pointing out the fact that scary looking rifles are functionally the same as their less cosmetically offensive variants, and often less deadly than some deer rifles.

Michigander

imported post

I have been noticing lately, that with a few exceptions, most notably Mike, it is the newer folks who would have probably been against pistol OC at the beginning, but joined up after it was proved it could be done, that are now the folks so bitterly opposed to long gun OC.

As a certain person who can identify himself if he wishes so perfectly stated to me recently, "we're becoming the very thing we had to fight against in the beginning."

Nearly everyone, including me, is against OCing a long gun in most urban situations. But long gun OC is a side issue, in my opinion. The debate that has ensued about that, I feel, just highlights a broader issue.

Using the rationale many newer folks have used to get so mad at long gun OCing, we should probably be against CPL holders OCing in pistol free zones for fear of bad press. And using that rationale, we probably shouldn't OC at all unless we're in a known friendly spot to do it with police consent. After all, many here including me have OC'd a regular handgun, and scared some idiot sheep who called the cops, followed by getting felony stopped and yelled at for the better part of an hour by nearly a dozen cops merely for taking a walk, And that doesn't make us look good at all. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but where does it end?

It is a dangerous precedent, complaining about/trying to control the safe and legal behaviors of others within a group literally conceived in liberty, and dedicated to protecting and expanding freedom.

Just sayin'. :uhoh:

ghostrider

imported post

firefighterSTFD22 wrote:
GhostRider,

You are correct! I mistated regarding the first 3 sentences (poor punctuation/capitilaziation threw me off) To what I was refering was...

...I am a Marine, not Army... yeah i'm sure you all care.

Obviously KG got his panties in a bunch because somebody refered to him a a member of the Army and not the Marines.

You are NOT being argumentative; and I appreciate direct questions. I will stand up and defend my stance regarding this matter the same as I have put my job on the line questioning policy and requesting change in my own townships ordinances.

People "autosurgeon" can call me an "instigator" all they want; the only thing I have INSTIGATED is leagal gun laws in the area in which I live.

People seem so free to let a member like myself go (withOUT knowing what I have done at the 'grassroots' level) so let it be. ISMOID, autosurgeon,steve, and Taurus850CIA can handle it from here!
Thank you for such a civil response.

First, in autosurgeon's defense, even I though you came across as confrontational (instigator). Just think how it looks when you place things in context of my questioning your "... first three sentences." comment. Face, if taken at face value it does sound irrational, and makes you look like an instigator. So please, cut him a little slack. In all honesty, I was quite surprised to receive such a civil and polite response from you based on your initial post. Pleasantly surprised I might add.:)

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of people right now who are posting and promoting flat out lies and misinformation about what happened, what happens, and what is happening. Does that sound to "tin foil hat" to you? Well, think about these facts before you jump to that conclusions.

Fact: At the end of that day (after everyone had long been home), the group photo was first posted on this web site at 2358 that evening. That photo has been and from the sounds of it still is being circulated in the law enforcement information system labeling the group members as "persons of interest", and who know what else. There is no possible way this could have been done until the day after the event took place.

If you can't see some impropriety in that, then I don't know what to tell you. The Ponderosa incident was over with by 1445 that day (I know because that's when I showed up, and no one was there). That alone indicates that there is difinitely "something wrong in Denmark" (especially when the officers were told that "it's legal" over their radio on the scene (it's in the video). Combine that with the wave of lies and misinformation that have been coming on like an onslaught through cyberspace just this past week, and know that your post fits right in. Because of that, based on your initial post (as well as the one on the other forum), you came accross (to me) as someone who was instigating. Like it or not, the "instigator" label was not unfair in light of your posts on this thread.

autosurgeon is just trying to keep things from flaming up, and in truth, he wasn't even addressing you, but instead others who might engage in a flame war. While I believe he was referring to you, he could just have easily been making a general blanket statement (probably makes more sense than just referring to you). When you took offense, understand that it was by your choice. You didn't have to take offense, just as I did not have to automatically conclude that you were being irrational based on your "... three sentences..." comment. In truth, I would have been much more justified in doing so than you in your criticism of autosurgeon (or even Kimberguy for that matter) because you were being confrontational (downright angry) while he was just trying to calm the waters. But you chose to take offense. You could have chose to instead seek clarification, but you weren't interested in that, co you chose the former. The irony is that, when you don't seem to understand why someone might view you as an instigator in light when you chose to take that offense.

Second:

As to KG's comments about the army. Well I personally think that he can be a bit of a smart alec, but I also know that he can be an easy going guy, so it's a tossup. I chose to take it as humor intended to lighten the mood. But there is another aspect that some may not consider. Marines are trained to be proud of their service, and calling them Army is a gross breach of etiquette. Even in that I though he came across as light hearted.

Here's my observation.
Without seeking any clarification as to KG's or autosurgeon's intent, you chose to take offense in both cases casting negative aspirations on any potential discourse. Now, please understand that what I'm about to next say is in the most gentle, sincere, and non-antagonistic manner, and if you were here with me you would know it isn't meant in to be taken in a bad way. You come across as a "hot head", when you choose to take offense rather than give people the benefit of the doubt or at least give them a chance to explain themselves first. Your doing the same thing that you accuse autosurgeon of.

Remember, fools rush towards trouble, while the wise man waits for discernment.

choover

imported post

firefighterSTFD22 wrote:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=165036&page=9scroll down Feb 13, 2010 9:34pm post.

Stalking out discussions of "long gun carry" in regard to the Lansing, MI incident and trying to promote his position on what he did.

This move alone is enough for me to disassociate myself with this web site and anything he has to do regarding the promotion of Open Carry in Michigan. You can have this nut-job. All yours!!! Good luck!

PJ
Please do disassociate yourself, we really need people that understand that there will never be a group where 100% agrees with what 100% of everyone does. Thanks for leaving!!!!

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

firefighterSTFD22 wrote:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=165036&page=9scroll down Feb 13, 2010 9:34pm post.

Stalking out discussions of "long gun carry" in regard to the Lansing, MI incident and trying to promote his position on what he did.

This move alone is enough for me to disassociate myself with this web site and anything he has to do regarding the promotion of Open Carry in Michigan. You can have this nut-job. All yours!!! Good luck!

PJ
After reading your first two posts, I refused to read any more, because I know its just going to be more useless garbage.

I'm sure we will all miss your large contribution of 18 posts.

Go vomit your personal attacks and useless pointed comments elsewhere. We're busy actually trying to accomplish something.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

and I'm having fun on that forum too.

Originally Posted by High Center Hancho ya but I cannot wait until they do change it...

Me either. I love it when the government restricts my rights.

And before I get flamed for being a 'closet coward' by some idiot, I will state that I am not posting to take a position on long gun OC.

The only statement I have is that we have our rights for a reason. The constitution, be it state or federal, was meant to be a foundation for the rest of our legislation. It was not meant to be changed.

If you think it ought to be, then I think you ought to find another country.

I challenge you to find me even one instance of a person freaking out this much about 'displaying a weapon' in 1776.

According to an FBI study, the worst fear of 80% of convicted criminals is an armed victim. Why violently stop a crime when you can deter it completely?
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggets Well, another gun toting pussy joins our club. I'm the some idiot you mentioned. I support your right to carry a gun. I don't support your position to display the weapon in a manner that causes tension or fear in the general public.

So, if I see a gun toting "Gangsta" in the hood, I'm supposed to be desensitized and comfortable in his/her presence?

You dil@#$%s that are joining this site to spew your twisted logic to us will get nowhere. Go back to opencarryhomo.com or whatever forum you came from so you can continue to dry hump each other about your right to be stupid.

Yep, precisely what I expected. Thank you, Mr. Alinsky.

Regarding your first paragraph, I again state that this is a false sense of insecurity, backed up by facts, and again challenge you to find evidence of this when our country was founded.

And, you clearly don't open carry yourself, but never once have I run into someone who was 'scared out of their wits' by an inanimate object. A 99% majority of everyone I have talked to has been curious and supportive of it, and a 99% of people I have not talked to have not noticed or not cared.

So please, use some facts in your judgement, and not your unfounded opinion.

And if being afraid of obeying the law is what I have to do to not be a pussy, then I hold to my assessment that you are an idiot.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I'd think that four wheeling hillbillies would be more supportive of our cause. not to stereo type, but their three year unemployment check must be influencing their stance on gun ownership.

"want your free money to pay your trailer park lot rent? vote for gun bans!"

just my 2!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I'd think that four wheeling hillbillies would be more supportive of our cause. not to stereo type, but their three year unemployment check must be influencing their stance on gun ownership.

"want your free money to pay your trailer park lot rent? vote for gun bans!"

just my 2!
:lol: Unenjoyment checks do not cover $1K-$2K Suspension Kits, $300 -$800 per tire, $150-$300 per rim, custom driveshafts, annual subscription to Hustler Magazine, plus all the other mandatory, off-road accessories very well. :)

Hombre

Banned
imported post

If the guys who posted on GL4x4 are a true representation of those on this forum, you guys are in trouble.

autosurgeon

imported post

Hombre wrote:
If the guys who posted on GL4x4 are a true representation of those on this forum, you guys are in trouble.

First Welcome to OCDO.

Nice of you guys over there to armchair quarterback the situation with no direct knowledge of what happend and then to flame a person who was there when they show up to post... real class act over there:banghead:

T Vance

imported post

I so wanted to reply back about the "you will be charge with DTP. My neighbor is a cop and told me so" cmment, but I'm done wasting ANY enegy over there.

Have fun lifting your trucks boys. "My trucks bigger than your truck. Watch me drive over this rock. I hope I can find me someone that looks like the mud flap girl one day."

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I so wanted to reply back about the "you will be charge with DTP. My neighbor is a cop and told me so" cmment, but I'm done wasting ANY enegy over there.

Have fun lifting your trucks boys. "My trucks bigger than your truck. Watch me drive over this rock. I hope I can find me someone that looks like the mud flap girl one day."
That's probably the best choice to make. No point in pissn' in the wind.