• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dearborn Heights City Libraries Patron Conduct Policy

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Proposed power C (prohibition of firearms): is it a power, privilege, or authority that the agencies share in common and that each might exercise separately? No (This is the problem I see, I would think it to be Yes.

Since a school district can ostensibly ban firearms on their own, it appears that they can ban firearms if they are operating in common with a local unit of government.

Let me explain it this way: say a fire department and a police department merge to form a "Public Safety Department". This is an ongoing occurrence in Michigan. If what you say is correct, the new public safety department could not enforce the laws of Michigan because although the PD did have the powers before the merge, they no longer have the ability because they have merged with the fire department. Another example, a transportation authority has the right to tax based on the powers inherent to one of the governmental units that has formed it, even though not all of the enabling organizations have that power, if one of the governmental units do, the new entity does too.

There was a court case as I was looking this up that dealt with the issue. Basically, a private contractor merged with a city government's housing authority to run a housing project. Citing the role that governmental entities play in an intergovernmental endeavor, the court ruled that the new entity had governmental immunity because of the merge with the city. The argument that the court accepted was that the housing authority had the powers of one of its enabling entities, governmental immunity. If one were to follow the interpretation you hold, some entities may have NO power because it is one only held by one of the parent organizations.

I think that the difference of opinion stems form the use of "and". You believe that any merger/alliance has to both be a power that they have individually along with one they have separately. I believe that the law is written so that the library could exercise a power they all have and it can exercise a power any one of them has.

Earlier you stated "essentially, MCL 124.504 limits the power and privileges ofsuch entities or agreementsto the least powerful and/or privileged of the "public agencies" which participate". I think you are incorrect. Your use of the term "less powerful/ least privileged" is erroneous... their powers are "different", not less or more privileged.

As I stated above, I think any ban by the library would be illegal. I do think that the library district would NOT want to see this go to court and, if they were pressed on the issue, would drop the rule. The chances of them winning are slim at best, per the Ferndale decision. I think they can maintain their position if one bases the decision on MCL124.504 but, with MCRGO v. Ferndale making it clear that the state has exclusive control over the regulation of firearms; they would lose if it ever was challenged in a court of law.

I don't mean to shut the conversation down, but I really think that the more important point of preemption is this: "the state of Michigan has exclusive power to regulate firearms". Any attempt by any other unit of government (except for universities which are constitutionally "exempt") would be soundly determined to be illegal.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Proposed power C (prohibition of firearms): is it a power, privilege, or authority that the agencies share in common and that each might exercise separately?  No (This is the problem I see, I would think it to be Yes.

Since a school district can ostensibly ban firearms on their own, it appears that they can ban firearms if they are operating in common with a local unit of government.

This is where you're wrong. A School District and a City are organized separately by the state. A city CANNOT ban firearms. A School District can.

Since they are joining forces to create an entity (district library), the joined part can ONLY do what both entities might be able to do separately.

Let me explain it this way: say a fire department and a police department merge to form a "Public Safety Department".  This is an ongoing occurrence in Michigan.  If what you say is correct, the new public safety department could not enforce the laws of Michigan because although the PD did have the powers before the merge, they no longer have the ability because they have merged with the fire department.  Another example, a transportation authority has the right to tax based on the powers inherent to one of the governmental units that has formed it, even though not all of the enabling organizations have that power, if one of the governmental units do, the new entity does too.

Both a Fire Dept. and a Police Dept. are organizations created by a city or township. This example you created has no merit, as the City can create both, and assign powers to both. Just because they are housed together doesn't change their duties.

All of these examples are of a SINGLE unit of gov't (say, A City).

We're talking about two units of gov't, each whom draw their power specifically from the state. A City and County, or A County and School District, or a Township and County, etc.

There was a court case as I was looking this up that dealt with the issue.  Basically, a private contractor merged with a city government's housing authority to run a housing project.  Citing the role that governmental entities play in an intergovernmental endeavor, the court ruled that the new entity had governmental immunity because of the merge with the city. The argument that the court accepted was that the housing authority had the powers of one of its enabling entities, governmental immunity. If one were to follow the interpretation you hold, some entities may have NO power because it is one only held by one of the parent organizations.
Also has nothing to do with two units of gov't joining forces on a specific project.

I think that the difference of opinion stems form the use of "and".  You believe that any merger/alliance has to both be a power that they have individually along with one they have separately.  I believe that the law is written so that the library could exercise a power they all have and it can exercise a power any one of them has.

Earlier you stated "essentially, MCL 124.504 limits the power and privileges of such entities or agreements to the least powerful and/or privileged of the "public agencies" which participate".  I think you are incorrect. Your use of the term "less powerful/ least privileged" is erroneous... their powers are "different", not less or more privileged.

As I stated above, I think any ban by the library would be illegal.  I do think that the library district would NOT want to see this go to court and, if they were pressed on the issue, would drop the rule.  The chances of them winning are slim at best, per the Ferndale decision.  I think they can maintain their position if one bases the decision on MCL124.504 but, with MCRGO v. Ferndale making it clear that the state has exclusive control over the regulation of firearms; they would lose if it ever was challenged in a court of law.

I don't mean to shut the conversation down, but I really think that the more important point of preemption is this: "the state of Michigan has exclusive power to regulate firearms".  Any attempt by any other unit of government (except for universities which are constitutionally "exempt") would be soundly determined to be illegal.

autosurgeon

imported post

I think you hit it on the head Zig. From my research this distinction only applies to units of government that derive there power from the state IE as you said they were set up from the state level with diff powers.

And in the case of a school district and a city they can only enforce restrictions that match between them.

So if they both can restrict soda, video cameras, and cigarettes then that can be a restriction on their joint policy. However because the school district is the only one that can restrict firearms then they CANNOT together restrict them at the library.

This is my simplified version of it anyway. NOTE the restrictions I mentioned them sharing were for the purposes of this explanation and may not be real restrictions.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I am not stating that one couldn't interpret the law as you say, rather there are two ways to look at it. Which interpretation is operative would need to be ultimately held to be correct by a court. Unless you can find a court case where the power, privilege, or authority of each one needs to be operative in order for them to exercise the power, privilege, or authority collectively, my original belief the the aforementioned interpretation stands. Please find a citation from a court, any court, and I will acknowledge that they are limited. It would seem odd to me that the state would limit the ability of any joint operation to only the powers that all of them have individually, but like I said, I could be wrong. Just find the case, and I will acknowledge that the powers are so limited.

As I said earlier, and continue to state emphatically, the point is really a non-issue. The outcome of any enforcement of the prohibition would be, imho, decided in favor of the firearm possessor. However, since I believe that the attorney for the library would argue the same as I, until such time as a person wants to push the issue with he library, I would urge caution in exercising the right and would expect that anyone so doing would OC knowing the full ramifications of carrying in the library. Until then, you are free to ask that they change the rule. They may do that, that is their prerogative.

PS regarding your statement that my examples do not in any way assist with interpreting the law in this matter, I remind you that governmental units are beholden to all of the law, not just any one section. Even though formed under a different part of the MCL, the joint operations would still need to adhere to MCL 124.504 unless specifically exempted.

a2fireball

imported post

Just received this reply:

"Mr. Clancy, As indicated previously, the Ann Arbor District Library is organized pursuant to P.A. 24 of 1989. It does not share power or authority with the City of Ann Arbor or City revenues pursuant to MCL 125.501et seq. Thus, I believe you have been misinformed as to the application of this statute to the Library and its operations. Sincerely,

Josie Parker Director Ann Arbor District Library Ann Arbor, MI 48104 josie@aadl.org|734.327.4263"

I'm looking into P.A. 24 of 1989, but It is not clear to me either way. Anyone? :question:

PC

DanM

imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
I was in the Dearborn Heights library yesterday and they have changed the firearms section of their sign to read"Except as applicable by law"

Auburn Hills Parks and Recreation modified their signs similarly, when a preemption violation issue was brought to their attention. Under "no weapons" they added "except as authorized by law".

Probably from such officials'perspectives, adding such a clause gets them reasonably in compliance whilesavingcosts versus producing new signs withdifferent or removed wording. While not perfect, I'm ok with it andconsider it a win for protecting our liberties.

Leader

imported post

a2fireball wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Is it a public library run by the city? If so, preemption applies because it's a part of the city.

This is where it get into a grey area for me....according to the Ann Arbor District Library website:
"
"ANN ARBOR DISTRICT LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
BYLAWS
ARTICLE I
NAME AND LOCATION
1.1 Authority. This organization was formed by Agreement between Ann Arbor Public Schools and the City of Ann Arbor, dated November 1, 1995 (the “Agreement”). For purposes of these Bylaws, the Ann Arbor Public Schools and the City of Ann Arbor may each be referred to as a Participating Municipality in accordance with Section 2 of the District Library Establishment Act, Michigan Compiled Laws Annotated §397.171 et seq. (the “Act”). The language of the statutes used is as it exists on the date of the revised Bylaws; any amendments to the statutes supersede the text of the Bylaws."

So is it part of the City of Ann Arbor anymore, (in regard to Michigan firearms law?)?

Doesn't this make the school system a local government as far as the law is concerned? Ann Arbor nor any other "Municipality" may restrict firearms.

Also, school systems can't make laws that prevent carrying firearms, the STATE said you can't carry on school grounds. Even if a school says it's OK, the STATE law still says it isn't.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Leader wrote:
a2fireball wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Is it a public library run by the city? If so, preemption applies because it's a part of the city.

This is where it get into a grey area for me....according to the Ann Arbor District Library website:
"
"ANN ARBOR DISTRICT LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
BYLAWS
ARTICLE I
NAME AND LOCATION
1.1 Authority. This organization was formed by Agreement between Ann Arbor Public Schools and the City of Ann Arbor, dated November 1, 1995 (the “Agreement”). For purposes of these Bylaws, the Ann Arbor Public Schools and the City of Ann Arbor may each be referred to as a Participating Municipality in accordance with Section 2 of the District Library Establishment Act, Michigan Compiled Laws Annotated §397.171 et seq. (the “Act”). The language of the statutes used is as it exists on the date of the revised Bylaws; any amendments to the statutes supersede the text of the Bylaws."

So is it part of the City of Ann Arbor anymore, (in regard to Michigan firearms law?)?

Doesn't this make the school system a local government as far as the law is concerned? Ann Arbor nor any other "Municipality" may restrict firearms.

Also, school systems can't make laws that prevent carrying firearms, the STATE said you can't carry on school grounds. Even if a school says it's OK, the STATE law still says it isn't.
Not true, You can if they give you permission. Generally from the superintendent.